Help support TMP

"Dark Elf riders question?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer Message Board

334 hits since 21 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Rwphillipsstl Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 3:17 p.m. PST

I am new to Warhammer. I gather that at some point Dark Elf cavalry were riders with horses, it now they are riders on lizard mounts. Why the change? Or am I wrong here?

Garand21 Jan 2013 3:29 p.m. PST

You're getting two units confused, I think.

Cold One Knights are the ones mounted on lizards (Cold Ones)

Dark Riders are the ones mounted on horses.

Cold One knights are in plastic (and a very nice set of models IMHO) while Dark Riders are still metal and must be ordered direct. I expect when a new book comes out -- or preparatory to it -- these will either be finecasted, or get new sculpts, or possibly a plastic set…

Damon.

Rwphillipsstl Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 3:35 p.m. PST

Okay. I wasn't sure if I was missing something, or just confused, and it is the latter.

WarrenB Inactive Member21 Jan 2013 3:44 p.m. PST

As far as I know, as long as dark elves have had cavalry, they'd had cold one cavalry. Going through The Stuff of Legends, this is the first mention of mounted dark elves I can find, from 1984:

link

Cadian 7th Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 3:59 p.m. PST

The dark riders are a great skirmish unit with the lances and repeater bows. My son has 10 for either a big unit or two smaller ones.
My dwarves are not a fan of them! wink

PaddySinclair23 Jan 2013 9:08 a.m. PST

@WarrenB

Yup, I remember those well :) They were introduced for the Forces of Fantasy supplement for 1st Edition, and at the time (and well into 2nd edition as well) Cold One riders were it for Dark Elven cavalry. How things have changed though, at the time the Dark Elves also had bowmen as well as the crossbows – I think they went away in 3rd… Needless to say the army pack I bought those initial Cold One Riders in became less and less conformant as the years went on.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.