Help support TMP

"Otherworld Minis Rock.." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

680 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

jpwalker07 Jan 2013 3:21 p.m. PST

But trying to populate a dungeon will wreak havoc with my wallet and my marriage. I like bones, great minis at a great price. But there are a few holes in the bones line. Is there anything else out there like the bones line.

timlillig Fezian07 Jan 2013 3:27 p.m. PST

Reaper's metal minis are a lot like their Bones. Iron Wind and Mega minis are good options too.

jpwalker07 Jan 2013 6:38 p.m. PST

Well I just pulled the trigger on the otherworld kobold box. The minis are just to nice and the way they bring me back to the old AD&D days is way worth the price. I spent about two hours looking around but always came back to otherworld.

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 8:43 p.m. PST

Ebay. With just a little searching you can find a lot of vintage metal dungeon monsters dirt cheap. You might have to strip the paint off of some of them, but you can usually find most monsters much cheaper than new metals.

Searches for "Grenadier," "Ral Partha," and similar vintage lines turn up loads of old minis.

You can also find good deals on many of the OOP prepainted D&D plastics, if you don't object to them.

Judge Doug07 Jan 2013 9:21 p.m. PST

jpwalker, buying from a good discount store like frpgames.com can certainly help the wallout out a bit. they've got Otherworld at 10% off and a few monsters are 30% off on clearance.

The Dozing Dragon07 Jan 2013 10:43 p.m. PST

The Otherworld Kobolds are great – compatible with the Reaper ones as well.

jpwalker08 Jan 2013 8:55 a.m. PST

J Doug, that is where I ended getting them from. Great selection. Even picked up a few reaper minis.
Jpattern, I looked around for some of those old sculpts, They just didn't seem as good as what otherworld is putting out. It's like the monster manual is like one of those old 17th century biology books (with the goofy illustrations) and otherworld is the real creature.

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 9:18 a.m. PST

Agreed, Otherworld minis are accurately keyed to the old Monster Manual. I have several dozen of them. They can be pricey, though, and there are still some dungeon dwellers they don't do – yet.

citizen sade08 Jan 2013 5:48 p.m. PST

For those not in the know, buying Otherworld vouchers will get you a discount. They come in £50.00 GBP, £100.00 GBP and £200.00 GBP denominations and are will buy you £65.00 GBP, £140.00 GBP and £300.00 GBP worth of figures.

link

jpwalker10 Jan 2013 8:41 a.m. PST

Doh, Citizen sade. That info would have been nice before I dropped $200 USD at FRP games. Oh well, maybe next time.

John M W10 Jan 2013 10:34 a.m. PST

If you can wait a couple months, I think Reaper will be releasing the Bones minis from their Kickstarter for general sale. Most of these are conversions from their existing metal lines. Lots of potential denizens there for not much coin.

And agreed, Otherworld are awesome.

ARMY Strong13 Jan 2013 2:12 p.m. PST

Love the minis but way over priced

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.