Help support TMP

"WF Saxons Shields vs. GB Saxons Shields" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

500 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

charlest Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 3:18 p.m. PST

Does anyone know how the round shields in each boxed set compare? There are two different sizes of round shield in the Wargames Factory set, and I believe I heard the larger of the two is the same size as the Gripping Beast shields – can anyone confirm?

Question arises as I'm trying to acquire transfers for the WF set. I'm waiting shipment of Gripping Beast Saxons and a transfer sheet for them. Not sure if I can use some of the transfers on the Wargames Factory models.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 3:49 p.m. PST

just paint them

charlest Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 4:26 p.m. PST

I painted them solid and they don't look great. Tried doing a couple crosses/simple designs on them but my hand is not steady enough.

Was planning on leaving some of them solid and putting transfers on a few.

tigrifsgt07 Jan 2013 5:22 p.m. PST

All I did was copy some of the simple designs from the available decal sheets. It gets easier the more you do. Mistakes are easily fixed. They don't have to be fancy just functional. TIG

bluewillow07 Jan 2013 8:05 p.m. PST

I actually mix up round sheilds to give that "campaign look"

larger man ……larger shield…….or so they say!

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:44 p.m. PST

I think wargamers worry very much more about dark age shield patterns than the actual people did

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:47 p.m. PST

The WF shield is actually easy to patterns on, it has those nice pins on the rim making it easy to match up quarters, eights and thirds

picture

picture

picture

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:49 p.m. PST

a bit of practice will work wonders..paint the shield when it already stuck on , much easier.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:51 p.m. PST

Willow the Saxon box have two shieldsa about the same size just around 200 years different in style

gavandjosh0208 Jan 2013 12:06 a.m. PST

The rumour goes smallish shields in the earlier period (aggressive); bigger shields in the later period (shield wall).

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 12:18 a.m. PST

I think smaller shields very early, dished shields of a respectable size middle period , flat plank shields at the time they all get knecked

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 12:21 a.m. PST

remember decals are all very fanciful with little or no histoirical validation at all. I remember Phil Barker explaining to me in some detail that the only evidence about Viking shield patterns was that they were painted red..quite a memorably long weekend in the mid 80s that one was..

charlest Inactive Member08 Jan 2013 9:56 a.m. PST

Alright, you guys inspired me. I will give it a go again.

Socalwarhammer15 Jan 2013 2:51 a.m. PST

Just a bit of advice. If you are having problems with 'staying in the lines' of your patters, I would recommend the use of micro art pens (black) to draw in you lines and help act as a guide to painting for crosses and quarters and the like.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.