Help support TMP

"Laser cut items for 6 or 10mm fantasy/ancient?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

394 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 2:31 p.m. PST

The Sally 4th buildings featured in the From the Editor section today are terrific, but alas, the wrong scale for my needs.

Are there any similar creations available for the 10mm or 6mm market? The look is perfect, and at those scales the thickness would be a near match, too.

I'd be interested in castles, keeps, walls, ramparts, dikes, bridges, etc.— anything that would go well with Warmaster and Warmaster Ancients (hopefully double-duty).

Space Monkey07 Jan 2013 2:42 p.m. PST

Gamecraft Miniatures makes very nice stuff for 6mm modern and scifi… I keep hoping they'll come up with a line of fantasy/historical fortifications/houses.
Their 6mm 'Mediterranean' buildings might be of use… as would some of their 'Middle East' structures. link

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 3:02 p.m. PST

The Town and Village stuff is nice— great for fantasy and medieval settings, at least. Thanks.

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 7:40 p.m. PST

If you are looking for 10mm castles, I've got three that are downloadable here. One is free:

link

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 6:50 p.m. PST

Toshach— I have two of them (the free one and Kragenvale Keep). I like the keep a lot— I haven't yet built the other. At this stage I'm looking for some wide stone bridges, and particularly stone ramparts to be "Helm's Dike" from the novel.

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 8:18 p.m. PST

Is that a hint? ;)

I'm really pleased you like the Keep. It was a real labor of love. I take it you saw the Norman Watchtower?

The next release is going to be a peasant village with a variety of huts and props.

I could do some bridges. By "wide" I take it that you mean 40mm?

What did you have in mind for the stone ramparts? Something like the low walls in the Keep model?

You can PM or email me with details if you prefer.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2013 8:08 a.m. PST

Is that a hint? ;)

YES.

I take it you saw the Norman Watchtower?

Yes. I like it. Don't need it right now, but it's on my future list.

The next release is going to be a peasant village with a variety of huts and props.

Oh, that sounds very nice. I'll take it.

I could do some bridges. By "wide" I take it that you mean 40mm?

Spot on. My only real quibble with the Keep was that the ramp wasn't 40mm wide for Warmaster/Bo5A infantry stands.

Some nice stone/brick/wood bridges in a 40mm width would be great. I would suggest trying to match the bridge length to the width of typical commercial river products. The Bo5A river is 60mm wide; this works as a minimum, because that length allows a complete Warmaster 3-stand infantry unit to entirely occupy a bridge in "column" formation. I would suggest that 60mm, however, be the length of the "main span" as it were, with either ramp ends being additional length (say another 60mm), to allow a unit to still be entirely "on" the bridge if in a line formation (as cavalry or as infantry facing the bridge sides). But make whatever you think will sell best, of course!

What did you have in mind for the stone ramparts? Something like the low walls in the Keep model?

More "ramparty" if that makes sense to you. I'm picturing the Helm's Dike described in the book— an old, low earth and stone rampart. Perhaps a steep-sloped front with a flat top and a slightly longer, shallower sloped rear. More of a "speed bump" than an actual wall. Some low wall elements that could go on top would be nice.

You might consider a two-style approach— the "young" rampart, freshly built and in good shape, with a nice low wall on top, and an "old" rampart with gaps and an uneven wall that's had stone fall out of it. I can see that being done with paper. Oh, an ability to have the rampart "turn" by including corner or bent pieces would be a good thing, too. (90°, 45° and 30°). I'd also suggest "end" pieces that have printed sides so that the dike doesn't have to butt up against anything. That's the only flaw in the Keep wall— it has no printed stone "end." (I use an extra tower instead, if I need one.)

You can PM or email me with details if you prefer.

I've posted here so others can chime in, but I'll send as a PM too. And I'll look around for some visual links.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP10 Jan 2013 4:48 p.m. PST

Here's an interesting site which theorizes on the early version of Hadrian's Wall: link

Some interesting images there.

I've also been hunting for an illustration of the Danevirke, a "viking" earthwork and wooden wall built across the Jutland neck. Alas, google only brings up current photos (useless) or references to towns of that name. (Add "viking" to the search and it just gets silly.) If you can find it, there's a pretty good illustration of it in the book The Vikings by Howard La Fay (illustration by Louis S. Glanzman), published by National Geographic in 1972, on page 35. While not stone, it's a suitable "low wall" sort of defense that might work.

Oh, and on the note about the "peasant village"— that wouldn't happen to be a Horse Tribes village would it? With, say, a nice "gilded" (cough) mead hall? You know, where a king might sit, waiting for a wizard to show up? Because that would be interesting to me indeed. wink

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.