Help support TMP

"Anyone here ever hear of TABLEMASTER by WINTERTREE?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Industry Message Board

Back to the Computer Moderated Rules Message Board

1,210 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2015 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

BigNickR07 Jan 2013 7:13 a.m. PST

I was doing some personal archeology through old 20 and 80 gigabyte desktop hard drives from computers past, and found my old directory of TABLEMASTER saved tables.

But no sign of my LEGIT COPY of the program. (IE paid for by me, ages ago)

For those of you who don't know of it, Tablemaster was an old Windows 3.1 & Windows 95 based piece of software that let you make some pretty impressive one-click multiple-tiered random generation tables. Simple language, saved files as *.txt files that you could edit in notepad or any other word processor.

I can't find any legitimate links to the software on the internet… Now, I've found and downloaded a fileshare network, justifying this by saying that I -did- pay for it way back when…

But I'm wondering if there's still a community for this program, any newer or more "shiny" replacement to buy, or even anyone that could fill me in on what ever happened to the delvs?

BigNickR07 Jan 2013 7:18 a.m. PST

I mean I have a LOT of old stuff for this…

Battletech tables for random mech assignment, a mercenary contract generator, all the items from the 2nd edition AD&D "Encyclopedia Magica"… a "What pill did FRIEND COMPUTER just give me?" generator for PARANOIA! a sith/jedi name generator…

Plus a bunch of half finished crap for some kind of long-forgotten and ill thought out homebrew game system I was working on when I was 14…

Talk about random finds! (And great memories)

BigNickR07 Jan 2013 7:21 a.m. PST

and I just found this on of all things a fellow battletechers site: link

"Wintertree Software TableMaster – Webpage currently nonfunctional
TableMaster – file
Wintertree Software made many very good programs for RPG enthusiasts. Perhaps the best of these is Table Master, a program that you can use to randomly determine results from any kind of table. I have designed files for it that allow you to generate Clan and Inner Sphere pilots, and Inner Sphere 'Mechs for each of the factions in the Battletech Master Rules and Mechwarrior 2nd Ed. 'Mech tables. Random encounter tables or anything else can be made with this software. Since the Wintertree Software link is down and I have been unable to find it anywhere on the web, I have uploaded a working copy of the program. This is NOT the shareware version and is provided with the knowledge and permission of the original author. "

So I am deleting my "ill gotten" file and installing this "legitimate" version on principal.

BigNickR07 Jan 2013 7:56 a.m. PST

…and it won't run in 64 bit windows.

So back to that "is there a modern replacement"?

(Jake Collins of NZ 2) Inactive Member12 Jan 2013 12:34 p.m. PST

I've got it working on Win7 32bit. Can you give some advice about how to make tables with it? I'm a Traveller player.

Wargaming Resources Supporting Member of TMP17 Aug 2015 12:04 p.m. PST

I feel your pain! I also had TableMaster, and to be honest, I've never found anything as good – it was so easy to use and yet could create very detailed results.

I actually have my original software, but will it run on a Mac – nope :-(

Wish I could find a good replacement…

Wintertree16 Oct 2015 9:24 p.m. PST

Well … hello!

I didn't realize anyone still cared about TableMaster. Or that nobody had ever created a replacement for it.

I shut down Wintertree because I realized that instead of doing the things I loved (programming, talking with fans, etc.), I was doing things I passionately hated (putting product in packages, taking mailers to the post office, and doing far too much paperwork). But in the past 15 years things have changed, especially the part about actually getting software to the customer -- PayPal and PDF manuals would make life a lot easier. And I'm at a junction in my life where I could conceivably go back to doing TableMaster development again.

So … IS there still enough of an interest in TableMaster to warrant a new version that will actually run on something newer than Win98? It would need a complete rewrite (not least because some of my old code scares even me) so it's a rather big project to dive head-first into. It will be faster than the first time around, of course, because I know how I did it, or at least how I should have done it, but it's still not going to be fast.

And if so, what form would you want it in? PC program like the original? Web-based service? iOS or Android app? Something else?

So there are still TableMaster fans. I guess I'd better prepare to get coding. 8-)

P.S. If anyone really wants an executable for the old (1990s) TableMaster, I can dig it up and send it out, but the odds are it won't run on anything you have. It won't run on anything I have anymore.

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP11 Nov 2015 2:57 p.m. PST

Never heard of it before stumbling onto this thread, but:

1. Sounds useful.
2. You might want to cross-post your question on interest
3. I'd be interested in either but ideally both a PC and iOS version.

Is this something that would benefit from a kickstarter?

Wintertree16 Nov 2015 5:40 a.m. PST

I can't really think of how it would benefit from a Kickstarter. Buying a better compiler, maybe? Naw, that's just silly. Mostly, it's a matter of me getting my rear in gear and sitting down and coding. Which is basically what it was 23 years ago. It's deja vu all over again!

I've talked to some people elsewhere and it looks like I'll be doing a PC version initially, maybe moving on to iOS/Android later once I've got TM/PC up and running again (and also learned enough about mobile app development, which I'm totally new at).

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.