Help support TMP

"British Aphid-Class Aerial Gunboat" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

Back to the SF Gallery Message Board

769 hits since 6 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 3:14 p.m. PST

"The Aphid-class was the first and is the smallest armoured aerial gunboat in British service, and it is also the most common, there being currently a total of four in service and two more in production at Syrtis Major. Each of these vessels carries a crew of 15 and has an endurance of 20 days steaming. They are each armed extremely well for their diminutive size, with a 4-inch gun, two Hotchkiss 1-pounder rotating cannons, and two five-barrel Nordenfelts.

Wasp was built in 1888 for the Syrtis Major station. Wasp is 90 feet long, 30 feet wide and measures 160 tons. Her triple expansion steam engine delivers 250 horsepower to a single wood air screw. It also powers a small dynamo which provides electricity for search and signaling lights. Louver slats of Meepsorian liftwood in the hull, controlled by a complicated arrangement of trim levers, can lift the ship to a high altitude. Though lightly armored, the Aphid class gunboats are well armed, mounting a four-inch quick-firing gun on the foredeck and two one-pound Hotchkiss rotating cannon on the wings…"

They looks so good!.

picture

picture

picture

The British Aerial Battery are so nice too.

picture

picture

picture

Much more in main page
link

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

doug redshirt Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 6:51 p.m. PST

What happens when the guns fire on those ship? Why would an aerial battery not armor the deck too. You are flying and you have to suppose the enemy can fly too.

Personal logo Only Warlock Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 9:18 p.m. PST

doug are you actually trying to apply real world physics and logic to Aeronef-Style Steampunk Science Fiction? <baffled>

Lion in the Stars06 Jan 2013 10:17 p.m. PST

doug are you actually trying to apply real world physics and logic to Aeronef-Style Steampunk Science Fiction? <baffled>

Apparently.

There could actually be armor on the deck. The wood is to help keep the underdeck temperatures down, and sits on top of armor plate. (Hey, if it's true for the USS Missouri, BB63…)

DLIinVSF07 Jan 2013 7:22 a.m. PST

You don't allow the enemy to get above you ;)

Nick H Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 9:07 a.m. PST

Space: 1889, for my money the best thought out steampunk gaming setting.

DLIinVSF07 Jan 2013 3:53 p.m. PST

Nick H, it was until the new people got involved.They like to follow the trends of other people and has lost that something special it once had.

Mechanical08 Jan 2013 3:38 a.m. PST

DLlinVSF – care to expand on that? Frank Chadwick is behind the reboot, hardly a new guy – unless I am missing something. I am genuinely curious about your opinion on this.

DLIinVSF08 Jan 2013 6:17 a.m. PST

New writers of the novels Mechanical.The new website and changes to the original plot such as a split USA.The South having its own independent country just like every other game system.These changes are pretty common knowledge online.

The original curved a special stand alone something and did not follow the tend,but it seems to be one of many the same now which I think is a shame.Earth history suck pretty much to the real thing which I liked a think made it a better plot.

Mr Chadwick is aware of what I and others think.We have had a public spat about it when he defended one of the 'new' people.Its his IP so in the end its up to him.But as a fan of the original work I don't have to like to changes.

DLIinVSF08 Jan 2013 6:18 a.m. PST

Just to add sorry off topic Tango :(

Nick H Inactive Member08 Jan 2013 7:34 a.m. PST

Well, in my opinion Chadwick jumped the shark when he created the GDW house system and drove GDW into the ground. I have everything for the original game though and that setting is fantastic.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 11:10 a.m. PST

My friend DLlinVSF you should not apologize for anything (smile).
The idea of a new thread is for enjoing what you see and what is write there.
I had enjoy very much what you said. Quite interesting.

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.