Help support TMP

"Scottish Foot and Horse - 28mm?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

586 hits since 6 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian06 Jan 2013 12:59 p.m. PST

I am looking for some figs to provide some variation in my Stirling Bridge – Bannockburn project.

I have some Mirlitons, which are very nice, and looking for something to match.

For my English, I am using Crusader, Fireforge, Mirliton and Curteys. All mix nice. I'll use some of these for the "Normans" who are also Scottish, so I'm really looking for non-Nobles for the Scottish.

I have some EBOB, but they are on slot bases, so they don't really work, plus they are a bit smaller.

Also, any recommendation for painting of the levy type foot for the Scots?

Paul Y06 Jan 2013 4:26 p.m. PST

Old Glory do a couple of packs of Scots in their 'Middle Ages – HYW – Crecy and Poitiers' range. Not sure how compatible the figures are size-wise though.

Huscarle Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 3:39 p.m. PST

You could take a look at Claymore Castings, the Scottish levy should be ok, although the range is for 1388.
link

scheltrum Inactive Member08 Jan 2013 7:24 a.m. PST

Here at Scheltrum Miniatures we do a range of Medieval Scots that might be suitable.
We also do Lord of the Isles figures for support and variation.
If you go to our website via 'manufacturers' and drop me an email I can send you the latest listings.

Personal logo rampantlion Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 12:57 p.m. PST

I can second Scheltrum Miniatures, they are perfect for the wars of the Bruces Scots I am having a blast painting them up as we speak. If you want to add a little variety some of the Claymore figures (which are also great, but some of the armor is a little late for the wars of the Bruces). Also, for more of a rabble look for Wallace's army at Falkirk or Stirling Bridge you could mix in a few of Old Glory's Dark Ages Scots bag. They give more of a levy or peasant look to me. I have all three in my army as well as a few of Old Glory's 100 years war Scots and Wars of the Roses Scots. If you look through the latter two packs some of the figures are fine for Falkirk or Bannockburn, but again like Claymore, some of the armor is a little too late for that time period.

Allen

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2013 9:14 a.m. PST

Early HYW is the way to go. Scottish and English troops should be armed and armoured to identical standards, so be wary of anything labelled as 'medieval Scots'. English armies should, however, have more archers and more men-at-arms, but there again they should just be bigger armies anyway.
OG. Foundry and Claymore all make very decent stuff, but Ebob's 'rebellion range' is almost all pretty avoidable – though they are pretty.

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP27 Jan 2013 9:18 a.m. PST

Early HYW is the way to go. Scottish and English troops should be armed and armoured to identical standards, so be wary of anything labelled as 'medieval Scots'. English armies should, however, have more archers and more men-at-arms, but there again they should just be bigger armies anyway.
OG. Foundry and Claymore all make very decent stuff and I'm not aware of any claymore figures that are too late for Robert I's wars but Ebob's 'rebellion range' is (almost all pretty avoidable – though they are pretty – but you mgiht find the odd 'English' hobelar that will do for either side.
The 'rabble/peasantry' look should be avoided; remember that these are the guys who run the farms and own the businesses, not the guys who do the work!

uglyfatbloke Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2013 4:25 a.m. PST

Update….Just visited the Ebob site for the forst time in along while. The 'Scottish pike' are pretty nice for either English or Scottish spearmen, just ignore the 2-handed swords. Spearmen should be by far the largest troop-type in a major English or Scottish army.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.