Help support TMP

"3D Sculpting" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

509 hits since 6 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Grimmy Inactive Member06 Jan 2013 12:40 p.m. PST

Hi,
I've only used more traditional products for sculpting but I was wondering what software packages people used to design wargame miniatures?

CraigH06 Jan 2013 2:36 p.m. PST

Depends what you want to do. For organic (i.e. humanoid) you're likely looking at zBrush although I think they have a cheaper (free ?) less-functional download on their site.

For mechanical stuff, any self-respecting CAD program will do as long as it can produce an STL output. I like ViaCAD – fairly cheap as it often goes on sale.

Another challenge is finding a suitable printer – the "print-at-home" stuff doesn't have sufficient resolution and even Shapeways printers aren't exactly state of the art as they rejected an STL file (too fine detail) that I had printed by another company years ago.

Grimmy Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 3:50 a.m. PST

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that info & help. Zbrush was one of the ones I had heard of but unsure if it was used my miniature sculptors. Yes, I would looking at doing humans, so this would prove beneficial.
I've read recently about 3d printers being problematic, re detail.
Thanks.

Personal logo EccentricTodd Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 8:44 p.m. PST

Zbrush works well. I will say that not all of the CAD packages would load the models with high polygon counts. So try before you buy.

Grimmy Inactive Member10 Jan 2013 6:31 a.m. PST

Thanks for that help.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.