Help support TMP

"what colour crimsom for 11th hussar trousers" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

381 hits since 6 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Challyrun40 Inactive Member06 Jan 2013 4:48 a.m. PST

What paint code should I use for the 11th hussars trousers i paint over a black undercoat and can't seem to get it right. I have the foundry basic paint system which didn't contain a decent match has anyone used vallejo or any of the foundry codes above code 36 which may be a decent match.?

Major Bumsore06 Jan 2013 5:35 a.m. PST

i paint over a black undercoat and can't seem to get it right.

I'm afraid to say that that is probably your problem. Crimson is quite a light colour and you won't get it to look right over black. Most paint is not opaque but is slightly transluscent – the lighter colours more so.

My advice would be to paint a base coat of white or pale grey and then apply the crimson over that.

uruk hai06 Jan 2013 6:21 a.m. PST

Different manufacturers' paints can have different translucence. I have found using a grey undercoat works better for lighter or brighter colours.

dragon606 Jan 2013 9:06 a.m. PST

Dry brush the trousers white, then paint then crimson.

Black Bull Inactive Member06 Jan 2013 9:54 a.m. PST

Most reds tend to be problematic

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 3:23 p.m. PST

if you think you will only have to ever paint one coat over black..

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 7:08 a.m. PST

I usually use a red/brown undercoat for reds, like GW Bestial Brown, over a black base coat.

Personal logo Meiczyslaw Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 10:44 a.m. PST

If you're ending up with GW paints, take a look at their "Base" paints. The two colors you'll be interested in are Khorne Red and Mephisto Red.

The idea is that the "Base" paints are thicker paints that go on the primer, and are intended to be painted over by the lighter "Layer" paints.

Personal logo Paint Pig Supporting Member of TMP In the TMP Dawghouse In the TMP Dawghouse07 Jan 2013 3:03 p.m. PST

G'day Challyrun, you haven't really defined your problem mate is it one of coverage or the colour match itself?

As you have read from the sensible replies some underpainting is required for your red to work well with minimum coats of paint. You should be looking at two coats no matter what colour undercoat you are using, multiple thin smooth layers is best to get a good result.

As BB pointed out some brands of red are a bit of a problem coverage wise.

I'm guessing it is a problem with colour matching. Crimson is a silly colour, it really isn't red as we like to think of red, like fire engines! It is a cold shade of red and often people doctor (warm up) the colour to something more in keeping with what they percieve the colour to be, dont be fooled into doing this think dark pink. A little white in crimson will quickly give a rose hue which doesn't work for highlighting, instead try lightening with German orange from Vallejo (a cool orange, just a tad should do it). Remember crimson it is a cool dark red grin

Good luck with your cherry bums wink

regards
dave

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.