Help support TMP

"FoW Pacific Organizing US Marines" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

634 hits since 5 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dan Wideman II06 Jan 2013 12:33 a.m. PST

OK, so we've been doing Flames of War in our group for some time now, and we do occasionally prefer scenarios over straight up points games. I also recently acquired a ready to play 15mm Japanese company. I am looking to add a force of US Marines to oppose them. Here's my dilemma.

A standard FoW unit is a squad of infantry represented by two bases, these squads then organized into platoons. Typically each base has 4-5 figures on a medium base to represent an 8-10 man standard squad with 1 LMG to make it a Rifle/MG squad.

Now, the Marines from '44 on had 13 man squads with three fire teams of four men with each section having a BAR and the rest having M1s. (I'm not sure if the Corporal had an M1,M1 Carbine, or SMG).

My thinking right now is to model each squad as three stands of 5 (Sgt+1 section) 4 (1 section) and 4(1 section).

I'd then count these as MG stands since that seems to be what BF does with Late War German 8 man squads with 2 LMGs.

The platoon would then have 3 squads each plus and HQ stand for a total of 10 stands. I might also add the option for a bazooka stand at the platoon level and the option to replace 1 srand in the platoon with a flame thrower team.

Rating would be either fearless/trained or confident/vet. I haven't decided yet.

What do other FoW vets think?

Next thoughts are what to add for support. I assume each marine co had a mortar and MG platoon? I haven't looked yet to figure out if these should have 4 or 6 stands in them + command.

Thoughts?

Wargamer Blue06 Jan 2013 3:47 a.m. PST

link

There free intel briefings on the above link in the files section.

Dan Wideman II06 Jan 2013 9:57 a.m. PST

Thanks, wargamer. I've bookmarked it and will check it out later.

Lion in the Stars06 Jan 2013 3:12 p.m. PST

The US actually has Rifle stands, because the BAR just can't put out the amount of fire that a Bren or MG34 can. They get a special rule (Automatic Rifles) for the fact that everyone has semi-auto rifles, though.

3 stands per squad is reasonable, since that lines up with paratrooper squad sizes.

I'd suggest Fearless Trained, Marines historically have better morale than the Army. (Fearless Trained is about the same points as Confident Veteran, btw)

Mortar and MG platoons are simply one base per weapon, plus an HQ stand. There may or may not be an observer team for the mortars.

21eRegt06 Jan 2013 8:32 p.m. PST

A lot will depend on what year. For example when the Marines first landed at Guadalcanal many if not most were still equipped with the Springfield. The amount of firepower a Marine squad could put out drastically increased over the years.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.