Help support TMP

"15mm 1941 US Army and Marines for Philippines, Wake, etc." Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

682 hits since 5 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Morning Scout Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2013 8:29 p.m. PST

Who makes suitable figures for the period?

fredjg05 Jan 2013 8:59 p.m. PST

Eureka has a line of Marines for Wake Island, which I like…as well as some '41 US Cav and '41 Filipino troops

Personal logo Buckeye AKA Darryl Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 6:56 a.m. PST

Eureka! I just bought some of the Wake Island Marines a few weeks ago from Eureka USA…EXCELLENT Service!!!! Tell Rob hello when you make an order.

eurekaminusa.com

Oh, and with the current exchange rate, it was more cost effective to order from Rob.

Tgunner06 Jan 2013 8:11 a.m. PST

Yup, Eureka's your place to be. The figures are suppose to be USMC but they are suitable for Army as well. The troops are armed with Springfields but at this scale you can't really tell with a quick look so they can work for US Army troops in the Philippines.

The Marine are spot on for the 1st Defensive Battalion on Wake and the 4th Marines/Special Weapons Battalion on Bataan and Corregador. The Lewis guns in the range were only used by the Navy and the USMC and the Thompsons are wrong. They should be using the round drum rather than the straight magazine. And the M1917 is perfect! The range also has a useful mortar and weapons crews along with command figures so it's a reasonably complete range. The only thing missing is the M1919 LMG which was used on the Philippines and maybe on Wake. Also the M1918 37mm infantry gun is missing too. But you can use the weapons crews for French 75mm and British 18lbrs and you have the American artillery in the Philippines.

The Cavalry is good but they have the men carrying rifles. According to sources out there the cavalry used their rifles on foot and pistols when charging. But the sculpts are still nice and need only a little cleaning up to use. Be warned, the top half of the troopers may need to be clipped so the figures mount correctly because the soldier's lower body is casted to the horse and the body above the waist is a separate piece.

The Philippine Army troops are great too! Their kit is spot on and you even have some of them using bamboo sticks to eject spent brass because the extractors on the M1917 Enfields were broken on many of the issues rifles so the sticks had to be shoved down the barrel to clear the chamber. So in effect you have soldiers standing with these poles down the barrel looking like Civil War era soldiers reloading! Very nice touch. The only problem is that all you get are riflemen. There are no heavy weapons, such as they were, for these guys. However I can see some head swaps with the Marine range to fill in some gaps like the M1917 and BAR.

The guys above didn't mention that there's a small Navy range too. This line has men in Navy uniform carrying rifles and some carrying Thompsons. I don't know how accurate that is as I haven't seen any mentioning of the Thompson being used by anybody on the Philippines but by the Army and the USMC. Eureka USA sells these guys in squad packs with a couple of officers and Thompsons and about six rifles in each pack. I would have preferred more rifles and fewer Thompsons but whatever. At least you can get them.

Anyway, the Eureka range is a great one and worth the money. I also use Axis and Allies Miniatures for vehicles. Command Decision is a great line too and you can modify the heavy weapons crews to man your 75mm SPMs and M3 Scouts.

Good luck with you project! I've been doing it for a while myself and have been very happy with it.

Personal logo Morning Scout Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 9:06 a.m. PST

Thanks for the info guys

Cincinnatus Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 10:05 a.m. PST

I was surprised at seeing the Filipino troops as I am a fan of the topic and hadn't heard of them being made. Definitely would like to see some "command/leader" type of figures for them at the very least.

Tgunner06 Jan 2013 12:49 p.m. PST

You could paint up some Marine figures as Americans and Filipino Scouts and use them as leaders. That's who most of their leadership was anyway.

Cincinnatus Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 2:47 p.m. PST

That depends on how broadly you want to define "most of their leadership". The units of the Philippine army had native NCOs and officers. They also had a smattering of American and Filipino Scouts attached as "instructors" but never enough and not officially in command although when things got tough, they were the ones who were able to effective lead in many situations.

Tgunner06 Jan 2013 7:06 p.m. PST

Actually as the campaign wore on it became more and more US and Scout leadership. Generally a regiment (later battalions due to attrition) had about 5-8 US and Scout officers and NCOs. I read in one battalion there were three US officers: one was the CO and the others were company commanders, one of whom also served as a heavy weapons platoon leader too so he commanded line and heavy weapons troopers. They had 4 or 5 Scout NCOs who served as platoon leaders because by that point there were very few Filipino Army officers left in leadership roles.

Cincinnatus Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 7:57 p.m. PST

I don't disagree at all with the general idea of what you say regarding the leadership role of the regulars as the campaign progressed.

It's funny. The situation/numbers you think make for a good argument as to why you only need US figures are the same ones that I think make a good argument as to why you need Filipino command figures.

Tgunner06 Jan 2013 8:52 p.m. PST

Actually I want both! But on the other hand I don't think we'll see them. Not too many people looking for Filipino Army troops circa 1941. I guess we should be glad that Eureka made the troops that it did!

Cincinnatus Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 3:26 p.m. PST

I think there's some hope because they did make a lot of variants for the basic troopers. If they had no plans for anything else, it would have seemed they'd have done at least one NCO/officer figure instead of the one more riflemen variant.

But it is a pet peeve of mine when someone releases a partial (or sometimes flawed) range and then when interest is low, blames it on the subject and not the implementation.

I know a recent range advertised here on TMP was released without command figures. It was very interesting to me but not without command (the subject was unique enough that you can't mix in something from another manufacturer). I asked the manufacturer and they said command was definitely in the works along with some other cool items in the range. So the range will be complete and pretty nice after phase 2. So hopefully this might be the same situation.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.