Help support TMP

"need some help understanding fogs rules??" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

515 hits since 5 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

grandad Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 3:08 p.m. PST

me and my friend played are first battle with the above rules Fridays (ancient version). we found we had issues understanding impact and melee poas. how do you work out the charging units poa and how you work this out for the defender and how dose this work for the melee. we've used the example they gave in the book but found this a bit confusing. would be very greatful if someone could explain it to us

confused steve.

Personal logo listlurker Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2013 3:39 p.m. PST

Hi Steve, is it just the charging element that is confusing? In which case it only applies to the impact phase. The phasing/charging player by definition counts as charging. The non-phasing/defending playet has the option to count (counter) charging or not depending on which is best in their advantage

So charging Impact foot get ++ (against foot), if their targets were also impact foot thay could also count (counter)charging (so would get ++ too), so the overall net = 0 POA

is that what you mean?

grandad Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 3:55 p.m. PST

thanks listlurker if you have a impact foot unit charging into another impact unit they cancel each other out yes i understand that and you get 0 poa so what advantage do you get from charging

grandad Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 4:16 p.m. PST

thanks listlurker if you have a impact foot unit charging into another impact unit they cancel each other out yes i understand that and you get 0 poa so what advantage do you get from charging sorry if this appears twice only hving problem with me internet connection

Personal logo listlurker Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2013 4:37 p.m. PST

There is no bonus for charging per se. It just a mechanism for initiating combat. The troops ability will be different in the impact to the melee. So in the example in the book (romans vs Gauls ) both are impact foot so it doesn't really matter who charges who both have the same POA. In the melee the Romans get the SSw POA , but Gauls not SW ( cancelled by SSW) so , Romans + POA , the Gauls -POA … I've not mentioned the armour as that will depend on which version you are playing

grandad Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 4:47 p.m. PST

thanks mate very helpful

TiberiusAugustus05 Jan 2013 9:19 p.m. PST

This video might be helpful

YouTube link

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 12:18 p.m. PST

The non-phasing/defending playet has the option to count (counter) charging or not depending on which is best in their advantage

No they don't. If you are charged you do not have any such options (except possibly evading). The POAs are designed to reflect the appropriate reaction, so for example if knights charge knights, the knights who are charged are assumed to countercharge and this is reflected in the POAs, but they are not moved on the table.

For answers to rules questions you are best going to the Slitherine forum. There is a sticky thread on the Rules forum about POAs in close combat.

link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.