Help support TMP

"Empress miniature artillery set." Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the English Civil War Message Board

664 hits since 4 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 12:48 p.m. PST

I liked, but need to ask about the figure at the right of the photo.
He is an auxiliary of artillery or he is an artillery man?
What kind of hat he has?
Which color to paint it?

picture

From main page (at the end)
link

Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo ageofglory Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 12:56 p.m. PST

He is part of the artillery crew, but ECW artillery trains were not exactly what we would call regulars.

He wears a monmouth cap. It's a wool cap popular with troops of the time. As for color, the most likely options would be gray, brown, tan, or perhaps even black, but since it's wool, it may have been dyed any color available.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 12:58 p.m. PST

Many thanks my friend.
The color of the jacket and pants could be…?

Amicalement
Armand

Timmo uk04 Jan 2013 1:10 p.m. PST

With the ECW if in doubt paint it grey or brown. Either would be fine for the breeches and coat. Monmouth caps could be any natural wool colour, not sure if they ever dyed them.

There has been a suggestion that the gunners in Waller's army wore blue coats but I have no idea where this idea comes from probably another VIctorian myth.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 1:13 p.m. PST

They could really be any colour. Probably grey or brown or undyed wool would be most common, but red, green, blue or even purple could have been worn if the guy got the jacket from a dead soldier.

Personal logo Captain DEwell Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 4:20 p.m. PST

Unfortunately for me, I don't like these figures as they do not look right. I think the facial features are amateurish.

Perhaps I will change my mind when I see them painted up. I hope so as I am an Empress Miniatures fan.

Thanks for sharing Armand

mashrewba04 Jan 2013 5:09 p.m. PST

Well at least the thing in his hand is an orange so we know what colour to paint that.

companycmd04 Jan 2013 8:31 p.m. PST

Has anyone noticed that the swab is too fluffy for the barrel so it wont go down the barrel, and the ball or orange is too small for this gun size? This looks to be a 9 pounder but the orange is at best 4.5 pounds. Forget about everything else; when the gun fires, its gonna knock over the barrel and kill everyone.

companycmd04 Jan 2013 8:31 p.m. PST

Out of breath.. I kill myself.. LOL

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2013 10:46 a.m. PST

Many thanks for your guidance boys!.

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.