Help support TMP

"DAF's LOBOSITZ GAME: Austrian Left Flank AAR" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Old School Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the American Wargaming Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

545 hits since 3 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ge2002bill Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 9:48 p.m. PST

You read DAF's singular AAR seconded with lovely images the other day. Below is a captioned photo story mostly from the perspective of the Austrian Left Flank.

link

My command consisted of:
Rutowski Chevaulegers
von Brühl Dragoons
Leibkürassiers
de Saxe Lanciers
3x Austrian Infantry Battalions

Action for me centered mostly with the first two cavalry regiments – kind of a brigade action amidst the much larger action. Operating with a few units from time to time is satisfying and fun.

Take a look and leave a comment, if you please.

Respectfully,
Bill P.

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 10:09 p.m. PST

Beautiful troops!

Fire at Will03 Jan 2013 11:16 p.m. PST

Great report and pictures

Marcus Maximus03 Jan 2013 11:59 p.m. PST

Echo the sentiments above, beautiful figures and great AAR. Also, great additional notes about why you chose different hats (tricorn instread of fusilier) on the cavalry. I really think it can be of huge benefit for other gamers why a gamer has chosen a particular figure or converted a figure in such a way.

Altefritz04 Jan 2013 4:55 a.m. PST

I think you was pretty right in giving fusilier hats only to the horse grenadiers. Look also at:

link

Regards,

Fabrizio

ge2002bill Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 7:15 a.m. PST

Thank you Fabrizio! I added the link to the story.
I am very grateful.
Bravo,
Bill P.

seneffe04 Jan 2013 3:14 p.m. PST

Beautiful game and figures, and eloquent commentary. Interested though in the commentary about the Saxon Chevaux-Legers not being light cavalry. My understanding was that with reorganisation of the Saxon army and budget cuts post WAS, that some of the former Dragoon units including Rutowski's, had been remounted on small 'Polish' horses rather than the larger 'German' horses they previously had as Dragoons.
The latter horses (and any troopers too large) were transferred into the Cuirassiers or surviving Dragoon regiments proper (including Bruhl's). IIRC, the small Polish horses were extremely cheap or even free- being supplied in lieu of tax monies by the Polish nobles.
Switching to these smaller mounts presumably would have made the regiments concerned into light cavalry.
That said, the Chevaux-Legers certainly seem to have been outpaced easily enough by the Prussian Hussars just before Leuthen, so maybe their mounts were out of condition or too many of the big Dragoon troopers were still present…..

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.