Help support TMP

"X-Wing Miniatures battle report, pictures, first impressions" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

809 hits since 2 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Albino Squirrel Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 11:22 a.m. PST

A post on my blog today about my first game of the X-Wing Miniatures game.

link

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 12:13 p.m. PST

Looks good. I've only got a few games in myself, but I think the Imperials made a mistake in sacrificing that first firing pass with the two standard TIE fighters. I'd have hoped to survive the head on exhange with the X wings, then pull the Immelmans behind them, rather than showing them the tails in the hopes of drawing their fire. TIE fighters have to get in whatever licks they can before they go *poof*!

Doug

Personal logo JRacel Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 12:28 p.m. PST

We got in a first game over the weekend with 7 TIE on 4 X-Wings. This was a large battlefield, 5 x 5, with a lot of Asteroids. The game went back and forth a few times, but in the end, two damaged X-Wings survived to return home while all the TIEs were destroyed. Only one of my X-Wings took damage from a poor piloting error through an asteroid. For a first game, it really went well. The Imperial player learned a lot about what not to do with his TIEs and is still working on how best to use their agility. He now firmly hates the X-Wings shields and heavy firepower. We enjoyed the game and have a larger multiplayer game planned for this weekend.

Jeff

45thdiv Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 12:34 p.m. PST

Thanks for the link. My wife got the game for Christmas and wants to play. She is a big SW fan. Now all we need to do is find some time.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 1:02 p.m. PST

Our first games were limited to the contents of the core box. We now have two core boxes and 2 of each expansion, so we're looking forward to playing with more ships. Right now, I lead the family series 2-1, but my wife (who usually smokes me in ANY game that's dice-dependent due to her ludicrously good luck with die rolls) should have the 2, as she had me down to 1 hull on one tie fighter, with her X wing unscratched, and just kept missing me over and over.

Doug

Albino Squirrel Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 3:23 p.m. PST

Well elsyrsyn, that was my first game of X-Wing Miniatures (I played the Rebels), but my opponent had played it several times before. So I think he was just going easy on me, in case it took me a while to get the hang of the maneuvering.

Also, I think he imagined he would keep me distracted with those Tie Fighters and do some major damage with his TIE Advanced and its cluster missiles, but he didn't get that chance.

Wow, two people in this thread who get to play the game with their wives? You are lucky guys. I've been trying to get mine to try it out, but she has no interest in any miniature games. Unfortunately, she usually doesn't have great luck in games of chance, which doesn't encourage her to play more.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 6:50 a.m. PST

So I think he was just going easy on me, in case it took me a while to get the hang of the maneuvering.

Could be.

Wow, two people in this thread who get to play the game with their wives? You are lucky guys.

Indeed we are!

Unfortunately, she usually doesn't have great luck in games of chance, which doesn't encourage her to play more.

Mine's the opposite. Playing dice heavy games with her is an interesting experience, in that it provides so many opportunities to visit the neighborhoods at the outer limits of the normal distribution curve. wink

Doug

Mako1106 Jan 2013 6:17 p.m. PST

Great report.

Thanks for sharing.

We got in our first game last night, with 2 x Ties vs. 1 x X-Wing, and Luke ended up winning the engagement decisively.

A blown 180 degree turn by the lead Tie started the downhill slide was just off by about 1/8" 1/4", which was enough to negate the maneuver, and force him to flight straight instead, losing his action phase as well, since he had to move first (need to account for both the length of the maneuver template PLUS the base footprint).

Luke was able to pull a 180 successfully, after screwing up the Imperial's maneuver, so ended up on his six.

Good die rolling by the Rebel, and poor by the Imperial doomed the latter pilot.

The other Tie pilot was just out of arc (must remember to use those barrel rolls to advantage).

He did get one hit on the Rebel, later in the game, reducing his shielding by a point.

However, after that, and again because of a forgotten barrel rolling opportunity, and poor maneuver selection, the final Tie pilot died in a bright fireball, from a major hit as well.

Will need to read up again on the rules, to help keep track of which special abilities cancel each other out, and when, but other than that, it was a good, fun, quick game.

The Imperials will be seeking revenge, soon……..

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.