Help support TMP

"Dinosaurs for a dollar at Dollar Tree" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

Back to the Pulp Gaming Message Board

Action Log

31 Dec 2012 7:15 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Empire board

870 hits since 30 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 10:42 p.m. PST

My friend Jim picked up some nice solid plastic dinosaurs for a dollar each at Dollar tree.
One is a Dilophosaurus, which looks like a T-rex with fins on its head. It is about 3X the size of a 28mm figure, so looks okey-dokey to me.
This certainly obviates the "need" to spend $54 USD for a T-Rex from Iron Wind Metals.
There is also a nice triceratops and stegosaurus. I will be checking out my local store tomorrow, just to see if there are different ones.

They are solid, and the paint job is not too garish. Having seen some recent National Geographics, perhaps the garish paint job is truly called for!

DesertScrb Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 11:12 p.m. PST

I bought a couple of these to go with my Lizardmen army for Hordes of the Things: link and link

Like you said, much cheaper than going the metal route.

GROSSMAN Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 11:23 p.m. PST

The dollar store rocks.

Wolfshanza31 Dec 2012 12:29 a.m. PST

I've picked up a few of those. Going to try to put a howdah on the back of one or two of the trikes ? Not bad models grin

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2012 6:17 a.m. PST

DesertScrb, if you don't mind a suggestion, I would try Magic Wash/The Dip, to give them some shading. At a buck a dino, what have you got to lose? They look fantastic, though. I used some plastic bucket-O-dino's Triceratops figures as cavalry mounts, for Goblins. It gave my Goblin Army some Extra-Heavy Cavalry (still could not go to close formation, but… Damn, they're tough to kill!). They give the Goblins a fighting chance against everyone else.

I am also working on Goblin Bat Cavalry. Picked up some rubbery, plastic bats, with a wingspan of around 2.5". Will use quilter's T-pins to mount them to bases, with Caesar 1/72 plastic Goblins, cut off of their bases, as riders. Hoping to get some done this week. Cheers!

DesertScrb Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

Thanks, Sgt! I'm definitely going to touch up those dinos in some manner. A wash sounds like the easiest way to go.

Thieses Inactive Member31 Dec 2012 9:14 a.m. PST

I really like dollar store finds. I bought a bunch of the skeletal dinos last year that showed up ay my local Dollar Tree. Thanks for the post, I could use these for something.

Personal logo HistoriFigs Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

We picked up the same dinos as few weeks back. In our case we are using them with our Gator Guys. In the process of building a howdah or platform for the back of the tri-cee. The T-Rex will be used as-is (3 attacks – chomp, stomp & tail bash), should give the unsuspecting Gator Guys a bit of a challenge.

Roderick Robertson Supporting Member of TMP Fezian31 Dec 2012 10:24 a.m. PST

I've always wondered why Triceratops gets to play, but no-one ever mentions using ankylosaurus as a mount (you know, the guy with the knobbed tail)

picture

saltflats192931 Dec 2012 10:54 a.m. PST

Ankylosaurus was one of the "funnies".

Rubber Suit Theatre31 Dec 2012 2:15 p.m. PST

You can get pretty creative with them:

TMP link

It's only a buck, so it frees one up to experiment. There's also a sauropod (sort of a brontosaurus) in the set, at a dollar each a small herd is feasible. There's one with a howdah blanket on him on my desk – thought I'd give him a head similar to Harryhausen's hydra from "Jason and the Argonauts" (1963).

WarrenB Inactive Member31 Dec 2012 11:27 p.m. PST

My friend Jim picked up some nice solid plastic dinosaurs for a dollar each at Dollar tree.
One is a Dilophosaurus, which looks like a T-rex with fins on its head.

I bought a couple of these to go with my Lizardmen army for Hordes of the Things:
Like you said, much cheaper than going the metal route.

I've picked up a few of those. Not bad models

At a buck a dino, what have you got to lose? They look fantastic, though.

I really like dollar store finds.

Ankylosaurus was one of the "funnies".

My tears are bitter and salty, and won't stop flowing.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.