Help support TMP

"EUREKA MINIATURES: A Review of Lots of stuff" Topic

30 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Websites for Wargaming Message Board

Back to the SYW Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Ancients Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

3,676 hits since 26 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

trailape Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 5:52 a.m. PST

Including:
AB Miniatures 18mm Dutch Carabiniers for 1815, the new and HUGE 28mm guillotine set, some 28mm Lace War 'Comic Style' soldiers, Dark Age Archers, a lady in a bath, (with a dude in a hat)!
And I also thought I'd take to opportunity to compare side by side EUREKA Miniatures Vivandiere set with WARLORD GAMES (WLG) offering.
link
Pop over and check them out.
Cheers

epturner Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 6:34 a.m. PST

Sweet! Love the comic figs and the guillotine set.

Eric

altfritz Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 7:35 a.m. PST

The comic figures would probably match nicely with Foundry's Brits!

mad monkey 1 Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 8:00 a.m. PST

I looked on the Eureka site but couldn't find the comic figures. Could you give me a link to them please?

Personal logo Brian Smaller Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 12:27 p.m. PST

Eureka are a godsend for our hobby.

baxterj26 Dec 2012 1:30 p.m. PST

MM1, the comic figures are fresh off the moulds and havent been added to the catalogue yet. Send Nic an email and he will organise some for you.

John

trailape Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 2:05 p.m. PST

Hi Guys
I should add the guillotine set, and 28mm Lace War 'Comic Style' soldiers have not been released yet, but will be soon.
I've a link to EUREKA on my blog but here it is again:
eurekamin.com.au
Cheers
trailape.blogspot.com.au

mad monkey 1 Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 2:41 p.m. PST

Thanks baxterj.

spontoon27 Dec 2012 10:47 p.m. PST

What's holding up the Mounted Arquebussier De Grassin?

trailape Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 4:40 a.m. PST

What's holding up the Mounted Arquebussier De Grassin?

Horses. Boom boom

mashrewba28 Dec 2012 9:48 a.m. PST

Not comfortable with the execution set -ok ok I know I don't have to buy them…
-Thank God it's not a beheading on the Internet set!!!

trailape Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 3:11 p.m. PST

Not comfortable with the execution set -ok ok I know I don't have to buy them…

I believe Foundry also does one. I'm also sure there are plenty of 'Executioner' figures available from various makers.
I must admit I find your comment curious however.
I assume you wargame?
If so, I again assume you've no issue with gaming with soldiers who might use Flamethrowers, Grenades, shotguns or lay minefields?

mashrewba28 Dec 2012 4:20 p.m. PST

not at all -just executions.

trailape Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 6:12 p.m. PST

not at all -just executions

Lol
So burning out a bunker of Japanese soldies is ok, but a quick death by the blade is a bit much?
Ok, just checking ;)
Cheers

mashrewba29 Dec 2012 4:22 a.m. PST

Well I suppose if the hobby is solely about an obsession with death and the manner in which it is inflicted then fair enough. I suppose an execution game could have chance cards to make it more even handed but I'm afraid that figures representing decapitated victims with their hands bound, a child cheering the spectacle and a woman been dragged by the hair to her death don't do it for me.

trailape Supporting Member of TMP29 Dec 2012 6:32 a.m. PST

Well I suppose if the hobby is solely about an obsession with death and the manner in which it is inflicted then fair enough. I suppose an execution game could have chance cards to make it more even handed but I'm afraid that figures representing decapitated victims with their hands bound, a child cheering the spectacle and a woman been dragged by the hair to her death don't do it for me.

But it does make a nice centerpiece for a 'Daring do' rescue! ;o)
I see an opportunity for a great scenario.
You see the terror of the French Revolution.
All depends on your perspective I guess,…
:)
Cheers

mashrewba29 Dec 2012 6:55 a.m. PST

It does doesn't it -I must admit this occurred to me just after the internet beheading remark with special forces toy soldiers arriving just in time!! I've been on TMP long enough to know that po faced remarks about this sort of thing don't really wash -AND they are excellent figures after all!!
Seasons Greetings Trailape:)
Now what about this bloke!!!
link

trailape Supporting Member of TMP29 Dec 2012 2:23 p.m. PST

Well, if I was building an Assyrian army I'd buy some. Just the thing for a besieging army or a DBA camp.
After all, I use these as game markers:
link
The Assyrians did impale their prisoners after all.
I missed the

internet beheading remark with special forces toy soldiers arriving just in time!!

That sounds tacky.
All the best for 2012!
trailape.blogspot.com.au

mashrewba29 Dec 2012 3:36 p.m. PST

Ah -the Assyrians -then there's that flaying thing -God there's no end to it!
I don't suppose anyone does an 18th Century British sea captain having his ear cut off?
Now you mention DBA armies my Aztecs still don't have a camp-noooooooo!

Gunner Dunbar Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 12:21 a.m. PST

Hi Scott, they look good, I like the new header to, have you based the Bavarian Grenadiers yet? looking forward to seeing them based.

WillieB Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 3:26 a.m. PST

Lovely figures and I'm definitely adding the guillotine to my Salute wishlist. The civilians alone would nearly double my civie Napoleonic population and there's one guy who will make an excellent savant in Egypt.

Have to admit I don't really like execution scenes either but as many said this coud make a great centerpiece for a skirmish game.

I also did buy the poor duid at the stake from Westwind and I'm happy to report he was saved (slightly singed) by some loyal Britons.

trailape Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 3:29 a.m. PST

Hi Danl
I've attached them to the bases. I will start flocking either tomorrow or the next day. I expect them to go into action on Wednesday, as we have a big FoG:N battle lined up and I want to unleash the Bavarians and Wurtemburgers.
I'll have pics on the blog.
Still have not recieved those bloody 'rude' Highlanders.
I'll chase them down and be in touch.
HAPPY NEW YEAR bud!
:)

Come In Nighthawk30 Dec 2012 8:46 p.m. PST

Where are the 28mm Lace War 'Comic Style' soldiers on the Eureka website? If not "on" yet, what "Range" are they in -- "Age of Reason?" Thanks!

trailape Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2012 3:14 a.m. PST

Where are the 28mm Lace War 'Comic Style' soldiers on the Eureka website? If not "on" yet, what "Range" are they in -- "Age of Reason?" Thanks!

I've no idea. They are not released yet. Drop Nic a line and I'm sure he'll help.
You can find a link to Eureka Miniatures on my blog.
Cheers

trailape Supporting Member of TMP28 Jan 2013 11:00 p.m. PST

Hi Guys
I've updated this post with some photos of the 28mm guillotine set that is now painted:
link
Cheers
trailape.blogspot.com.au

TBClark129 Jan 2013 6:33 p.m. PST

Perhaps put wheels on the guillotine and make a mobile executioner worshop to be paraded around in sight of the enemy – Charles Grant's VFS had a chief executioner, a Scotsman by the name of MacAbre. Pictures of him and his mobile "workshop" have appeared in print a few times.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP31 Jan 2013 6:45 a.m. PST

Yes, I find the guillotine a little bit creepy too.. It's a nice model and I have no objection to anyone owning one or putting it on his Wargame table. I have no problem with depicting death in a Wargame etc etc.. It just creeps me out -- that's all.

spontoon16 Feb 2013 10:06 a.m. PST

How about cannibalism?

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP16 Feb 2013 2:38 p.m. PST

No thanks I'm still full from breakfast (Porridge)

But I have eaten my fair share (some of my shipmates would probably say more than my fair share) of 'Baby's Heads'…

(Tinned steak and kidney pudding cut in half, dished out suet side up sitting in a puddle of baked beans delish!)

(Also a nickname for really annoying ankle breaking hard tufts of grass prevalent in the Falkland Islands, but I'm getting off the point of my original getting of the point….)

A useful review, Trailape, thanks. Its good to keep Eureka in mind, especially with the 200th of the Waterloo campaign coming up over the horizon….I am so glad Nic persuaded Tony to complete his 'legacy' range!

Marc the plastics fan16 Apr 2013 8:51 a.m. PST

DaF (and others) – Charles Grant made his own "mobile executioner" (named Macabre if I recall) – there is a picture in the Wargame companion book.

I think it is just part of the period, and Eureka do make exceedingly good vignettes :-)

But I similarly recall the Darkest Africa ranges – did they not include a cooking pot for "long pig"?

spontoon16 Apr 2013 11:12 a.m. PST

My Dad, ex-RN; used to tell me about some dish called dead-baby. Was that the same thing?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.