Help support TMP

" U.S. NAVAL AVIATION in the PACIFIC " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Media Message Board

Back to the WWII Naval Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

612 hits since 26 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 6 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member26 Dec 2012 2:32 a.m. PST

Nice little review of Us naval aviation in the Pacific,

U.S. NAVAL AVIATION in the PACIFIC
"The purpose of this review, which was prepared by officers on duty in the Operations Division, including Air Combat Intelligence officers with extensive service in the
Pacific, is to analyze the relation between air and sea power. It is based upon the experience of naval aviation in the war against Japan as recorded in the files of the
Navy Department. Reports of the United States Strategic Bombing: Survey have also been consulted and the chart of the progress of the war has been taken from one of them.
The danger inherent in any report confined to one aspect of the war is that it may mislead the reader into forgetting that the conflict was won by a combination of ground, naval, and air forces, each of which carried its share of the common burden. All operated within the framework of strategic plans, and it is the aim of this analysis to show how naval aviation fulfilled its part of those plans"
PDF link

skippy000126 Dec 2012 10:32 a.m. PST

?Thank you, all the pdfs you bring here help my campaigns a lot.

Allen57 Supporting Member of TMP26 Dec 2012 10:49 a.m. PST

An interesting document. I wish it had provided more detail about torpedoes. I have read a number of books by WWII torpedo pilots which result in my having a number of questions about the effectiveness of aerial torpedoes. Seems like a lot got dropped to no effect. Yes, I know about Taranto, Pearl Harbor, Midway,and the Yamato but at the last three attacks dive bombing also played a major role. It seems that the British had few successes with torpedoes. In virtually all instances it seems torpedo plane losses were much higher than dive bomber losses. This article mentions the use of torpedo planes in a bombing and ASW role and looking at naval aviation the torpedo plane rapidly disappear from the arsenal following the TBM.

In any event, I apologize for stealing the thread Robert. Thanks for posting an interesting historical document.

Al

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member26 Dec 2012 12:23 p.m. PST

Heres another good one grin. Robert

PDF link

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member27 Dec 2012 1:32 p.m. PST

There is this article Allen that mentions the US Navy's aerial torpedoes early in the war,

Aviation Ordnance 1939-1941
PDF link

Robert

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member02 Jan 2013 11:51 a.m. PST

I really liked the Navy's use of the Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer.

picture

Robert

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 6:25 p.m. PST

The Forgotten Blimps
of World War II

CTC Edward E. Nugent, USN (Ret)

link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.