Help support TMP

"Hey Mongoose. How about some clarification?" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Industry Message Board

Action Log

22 Dec 2012 5:09 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Hey Mongoose. How bout some clarification." to "Hey Mongoose. How about some clarification?"

931 hits since 22 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Allen5722 Dec 2012 1:52 p.m. PST

Matt, How bout some clarification.

TMP link

thosmoss22 Dec 2012 4:34 p.m. PST

Back in the SST days, or was it the VaS days, questions would be posted. Invariably, Mongoose would reply withe sentiments like "glad you're enjoying the game."

Personal logo Dom Skelton Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Dec 2012 1:52 a.m. PST

Note the story starts "The Editor reports" I think this is a story Bill's seen elsewhere and posted 'cos he found it interesting. Which means Mongoose didn't post it to TMP, and are probably oblivious of both it and any questions. Sending 'em an email might be a plan if you want a reply….

(But answering your main question, yes they're file releases, for those with access to 3D printers the regular "physical releases" (to steal the record industry term) are already available direct from Mongoose, I believe.)

MongooseMatt Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Dec 2012 9:49 a.m. PST

Hey there,

Which points did you want clarified?

Allen5723 Dec 2012 12:36 p.m. PST

Hi MongooseMatt,

Thanks for jumping in.

If I buy the 3D ship files can I upload them to Shapeways and have them printed for my own use?

Are they rescalable so that I can have them printed in other scales?

Can I print more than one model from each file I purchase?

Al

MongooseMatt Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Dec 2012 2:01 p.m. PST

1. You can, but… We already have some on Shapeways, and you will find them cheaper overall if you buy them from us there. But (number two), we have found that Shapeways' standard service does not have the resolution required by our models (we work in tiny fractions of a millimetre). They are great if you want a gold-plated or solid silver model, but you are otherwise better off buying the resin models directly from us!

2. If you hve the software to do it, they are indeed scalable – we do not lock anything like that.

3. And yes, indeed you can!

Angel Barracks25 Dec 2012 6:47 a.m. PST

we have found that Shapeways' standard service does not have the resolution required by our models (we work in tiny fractions of a millimetre).

Agreed, their best resolution is not on a par with what I use for printing my master models.
There is truth in the saying 'you get what you pay for', Shapeways does not cost very much compared to others for good reason.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.