Help support TMP

"A big interwar shot in the dark (Interwar Austrians)" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

557 hits since 21 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

jeeves21 Dec 2012 1:30 p.m. PST

Does anybody make interwar Austrians in 28mm? I doubt it, but I thought I would check. I mean Austrians from the 20s-30s, before Hitler took over.

Patrice Inactive Member21 Dec 2012 3:30 p.m. PST

Did they fight anyone? Just asking…

jeeves21 Dec 2012 4:08 p.m. PST

No, they did not.

Tgunner21 Dec 2012 5:05 p.m. PST

Pretty obscure. I'm planning to do a US vs. British Empire game this year and I plan to use Australians. This game is set in 1940 and I'm just going to use WWII era Australians. Eureka does a nice line of 1940 Australians in 15mm that I plan to use:

link

They are dressed in great coats and cold weather gear. If you're fighting in temperate climates then something like them would probably work. Otherwise I would use the standard tropical WWII types. Or perhaps WWI models? I would think that either would work okay.

Mark Plant21 Dec 2012 5:35 p.m. PST

No, they did not.

Ah, TMP, where every day one can see how having a little bit of knowledge can be very misleading.

In fact Austria had a brief civil war in February 1934.

There were realistic chances of external wars too. In 1921 Austria's takeover of the Burgenland from Hungary was opposed by violence by Hungarian nationalists. It very nearly turned into a hot war, but in the end the diplomats prevailed and the shooting was minimal.

The Dozing Dragon21 Dec 2012 5:58 p.m. PST

Brigade Models do some Belgians…………….wink

jeeves21 Dec 2012 6:25 p.m. PST

Okay, looks like the answer is no. Thanks anyway, I guess.

Tgunner21 Dec 2012 7:01 p.m. PST

LOL! I really need glasses. I could have sworn it said Australians. Man I really need a day off….

Wouldn't WWI era Germans work?

link

These guys are labeled as being Austrian solders in 1934 and their kit looks very German.

Oh, and apparently they did see some action according to Wikipedia:

"Between 1918 and 1921, the Austrian semi-regular army was called Volkswehr ("People's Defence"), and fought against Yugoslavian army units occupying parts of Carinthia. It has been known as "Bundesheer" since then, except when Austria was a part of Nazi Germany (19381945; see Anschluss). The Austrian Army did develop a defense plan in 1938 against Germany[citation needed], but politics prevented it from being implemented."

Doc Ord Supporting Member of TMP22 Dec 2012 12:27 p.m. PST

I would think that late-war WW1 Austrians would fit the bill.

jeeves22 Dec 2012 8:00 p.m. PST

Where can I find good late WWI germans?

mghFond22 Dec 2012 11:07 p.m. PST

In 18mm Blue Moon has some excellent German WW1 troops for the late part of the war. I use them painted as AustroHungarians for my Italian front games.

spontoon Supporting Member of TMP23 Dec 2012 7:22 p.m. PST

The main difference from WWI Germans I can see that would be significant in 28mm is the slanted ammunition pouches for the Austrian Mannlicher rifles. I think WWI Austrians would work fine, if they're available! I know the early war capped ones are.

Tgunner24 Dec 2012 2:06 p.m. PST

Here are some early war ones:

link

Here are some late war Germans:

link

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop10 Jan 2013 12:45 p.m. PST

"Did they fight anyone?"

The Freikorps Osprey although focusing on Germany mentions Austrian freikorps, fighting the same enemys- expansionist Slavs & home-grown Reds

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.