Help support TMP

"Ragnarok ! The End Of The World January 1st 1000 AD" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the British Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

767 hits since 19 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Guthroth19 Dec 2012 9:58 a.m. PST

To commemorate the End Of The World this coming Friday, we are having a FOG Fantasy game this Friday, and I thought I'd share my rule changes.

It's January 1st 1000 AD and in a field just North of Paris King Robert II (The Pious) is standing with his army to face the unthinkable. As predicted by his Priests, 1000 years after the birth of Christ, the world is about to end as a wave of barbarian heathens advance towards the King of the Franks and his army.

Winged Demons, Dragons, Trolls and Giant Wolves stand with the devil worshipers and only the power of God and Heroic Christian men (and some divine help) opposes them. Win or lose, fight well and your place in your version of Paradise
is assured

This not-quite standard FOG game features Northern Barbarian
and the army of the Franks. The non-standard items for this fighting of Ragnarok are

Heroes. Markers not elements. If placed in the front line of combat they upgrade any unit they are with to Superior Impact foot with Skilled Swordsman. (Odin on his 8-legged steed counts as a Hero representing the waning power of the
non-Christian Gods.) This change of troop type applies to mounted troops as well as foot. All Heroes move as LC. When a unit accompanied by a Hero loses its second base, roll a D6. On a 6 the Hero dies immediately (no save). For the rest
of the game the unit still counts as Superior but other benefits are lost. If he survives, roll again each time a base is removed.

Priests. Markers not elements. Priests have no combat ability, but if a unit with a Priest engages an enemy unit with a Hero, the Priest cancels the Hero effect.(see above). If the unit the Priest is accompanying is fighting Giants, Dragons or the Giant Wolf, the priest inflicts 2 hits against automatically (in addition to any the unit inflict). When a unit accompanied by a priest loses a
base, roll a D6. On a 6 the priest dies immediately (no save), however, for the rest of the game the unit counts as Elite Impact Foot. If he survives, roll again each time a base is lost.

NB. Priests may leave a unit at ANY time including while the unit is in combat. Heroes are subject to the same rules as Generals. If a unit accompanied by a Hero or Priest routs, the Hero/Priest is immediately moved to the nearest
friendly unit. A unit with a Priest and a Hero attached gains nothing they just cancel each other out.

Dragon/Giant Wolf. Fights as 2 x Elephants, moves as LH, otherwise normal Elephant rules.

Trolls. Count as Protected MF with Heavy Weapon, but move at Cv speed

Giants. Fight as Elephants, move as Cv, otherwise use normal Elephant rules.

Angels/Valkyries. Move as 2 x LH in any direction but ignore all ground units. Have to land to attack, so need space to place 2 x LH bases but otherwise can land anywhere within move including rear of enemy. On landing they get a free change of facing. Fight as superior LC. If not in HtH combat can be shot at by archers. Cannot end a turn over a unit. If not engaged on the ground Valkyries and Angelic host can fight in the air. Combat as normal.

Comments appreciated.

Pete

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP19 Dec 2012 11:14 a.m. PST

As an aside mostly, I once heard a conspiracy theory discussed on the radio (referencing a book that had come out) that circa 900 the pope and maybe the King of Franks decided it would be better to be the rulers in 1000 AD for PR reasons, so they just changed the year and got the rest of the church (the only ones actually tracking such things) to go along with them.

Some of the supporting evidence was that the Dark Ages weren't really dark, it seems like not much happened because the years never existed!

I think these links covers most of it, although in more (and different) detail than I remember:
link
link

1815Guy Supporting Member of TMP19 Dec 2012 3:02 p.m. PST

Guess you wont be publishing an AAR then………… :o)

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop10 Jan 2013 2:21 p.m. PST

What a bizarre theory. A pity for it that Islam began in the C7th & started it's own Calendar.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.