Help support TMP

"Great haul at the local consignment store..." Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Zombies Message Board

Back to the 28mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2004) Message Board

1,252 hits since 14 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 12:01 a.m. PST

Went to a local consignment store the other day, one of those places you drive by a hundred times and "always mean to go into" but never seem to….

Place was a gold mine of old toys. everything from 70's starwars, corgi diecasts…

Short conversation with the owner and I turned some stuff I hadn't had much luck in selling into a pretty nice haul…

Here's the photo album: link

And some highlights:

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

If you're in the orlando area: link

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 12:12 a.m. PST

Colin is a fairly ruthless horsetrader, but a fair one… and a hell of a nice guy.

Basically got this all (some 30 odd plastic and diecast 28mm scale vehicles) for $200 USDish "worth" of store credit. On toys I may or may not have sold (at some point after finally getting around to it) on ebay for 250ish (before fees and other annoyances).

In my opinion worth it.

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 12:57 a.m. PST

Can't wait to see what hijinks Scooby and the gang get into.

ZOINKS!

Gaz004515 Dec 2012 5:11 a.m. PST

'Those meddling kids…'

Nice buses- you can never have enough civvy vehicles on the table…..

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 5:49 a.m. PST

Awesome! The consignment stores around me never have any really cool stuff.

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 7:06 a.m. PST

Please enlighten us Brits. What the hell is a consignment store?

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 7:19 a.m. PST

link

Historically, it's basically a junk shop, and what would NOW be called an "Ebay Store", a place where the owner either solicits or is solicited by others to sell FOR them, and split the profit at a pre-determined percentage.

The term has morphed to include ANY jumk shop ("consignment" having left the common language and become one of those words everyone's heard but noone really remembers what it's supposed to mean) A lot of "consignment stores" skip "the middleman" and instead buy up large lots from people (often, but by no means ALWAYS the bereaved) and liquidates them, keeping 100% of the profit like any other store. But because noone wants to be CALLED a "junk store" they often retain the term "consignment store"

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 8:01 a.m. PST

Ahh, I see.

We used to have "junk shops" as well but retail unit overheads have killed most of them. Now we have charity shops and antique shops which fill the gap. Charity shops can survive because their stock is donated for free and they are manned by volunteers. Many antique shops operate at the cheaper end of the market but still sell stuff that is more valuable than you would find in an old style junk shop!

Syr Hobbs Wargames Sponsoring Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 10:37 a.m. PST

Gret haul, I may have missed this, but what scale do you hunt for to use with 28mm figures?

Duane

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 5:08 p.m. PST

I go for whatever "looks right" usually between 1:41 and 1:60.

As long as the car is about 4-5" long, less than 2" wide, and about up to the figures pectorals, it usually looks "good enough"

Trucks and vans, you gotta eyeball…

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 6:36 p.m. PST

We used to have "junk shops" as well but retail unit overheads have killed most of them

The US is in the middle of a retail realestate CRASH at the moment. We've lose several MAJOR chains in the last decade, the kinds of stores that are "anchors" for plazas. This has 2 effects. It creates ENORMOUS tax burden on the owners having those empty bays (taxed by the square foot) while simultaneously driving down the percived value of the location because no "anchor store" means lower foot-traffic to the plaza. Having "high end" plazas falling into chaos depresses the market value of LOWER traffic plazas because who would pay $x per square foot for a mom&pop plaza when the megastore plaza is suddenly begging for renters at $x-Y per square foot?

My buddy that owns a gaming shop just renewed his lease and apparently just by ASKING to get a copy of the lease to compare with another offer he got earned him some MAJOR concessions.

skinkmasterreturns16 Dec 2012 5:24 a.m. PST

There's an old KMart where I live,and I've often daydreamed about winning the lottery,buying and fixing it up.I would run some huge games in it.

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP16 Dec 2012 10:56 a.m. PST

rent a conference room at a hotel (usually VERY cheap in the off season) or better still your local library (usually free)

Thieses07 Jan 2013 2:45 p.m. PST

Wow, these are great finds. I really like the UPs truck and the large bus. Very nice.

Scorpio09 Jan 2013 9:11 a.m. PST

I go for whatever "looks right" usually between 1:41 and 1:60.

As long as the car is about 4-5" long, less than 2" wide, and about up to the figures pectorals, it usually looks "good enough"

Trucks and vans, you gotta eyeball…

Agreed. For me, the best guideline is the doors. Compare the fig (sans base) to the vehicle door.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.