Help support TMP

"Equal Ops enquiry into British Forces releases shock report" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2004) Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Modern Aviation Discussion Message Board

1,283 hits since 11 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 12:52 a.m. PST

This may be of interest to those who served in HM Forces:

REPORT BY THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES ADVISORY TEAM (EOAD) INTO BULLYING IN HM FORCES

The EOAD has presented its latest report to SofS and has found that allegations of 'a culture of widespread bullying and brutality' within the British Armed Forces are, in the most part, unfounded.

The Advisory Team, which travelled to every Defence Establishment across the UK and overseas, interviewed staff from all three services and found surprisingly few cases of unfair treatment or bullying within the Royal Navy and the British Army.

However, endemic mistreatment would appear to exist in the Royal Air Force. Complaints to the EOAT numbered 13,555 from the RAF, compared to 3 from the Navy and just 1 from the Army.

While this statistic is alarming in its own right, it becomes horrific when one considers that each complaint represents a sad story of abuse, mistreatment and neglect. As one senior RAF officer was quoted: "Each story is, in itself, a sad indictment of the RAF. When taken as a whole, however, they demonstrate a reprehensible lack of regard for personnel on the part of RAF management at all levels, and I include junior managers in particular."

One young pilot told of having to spend two nights in tented accommodation, despite the fact that there was a five-star hotel just 10 kms away with rooms available.
Another said that he had been forced to endure a gruelling fitness test every year since he joined in 1997.

One airwoman alleged that she had been overlooked for promotion on numerous occasions, simply because she was fat, lazy and stupid.

An aircraftman stated that he had been refused permission to wear civilian attire to work, despite the fact that his uniform clashed with the blonde highlights he had put in his hair.

Another had been forced to wear uncomfortable safety boots for periods of up to eight hours at a time.

An RAF clerk could not understand why she had been sent to work in a Joint military headquarters. "I have been forced to work for horrid Army people who just don't understand what the military is all about" she stated, "I feel that the RAF has victimised me by forcing me to do this….I shall be seeking compensation."

Shockingly, RAF Senior Ranks are also subject to widespread mistreatment. One SNCO Flight Sergeant stated: "I was deeply, deeply upset when I was addressed as 'Flight Sergeant' by an officer. He knew my name was Robert. It was just horrible. I have never been more humiliated in my life." In response, a senior RAF officer stated: "The officer in question has been moved on…"

A huge backlash against the treatment of Air Force personnel should provide senior officers with a vital clue with regard to the massive retention problems experienced by the RAF in recent years. Over the past 24 months, Defence has spent L19.8 million looking into the issue.

Not all of the Air Force's hierarchy, however, were upset by the revelations. Outgoing Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Errol Flynn, KCB CBE DFC ADC BSc (Eng) FRAeS stated: "I am delighted with the result. I am very happy that our retention problems are due, in the most part at least, to something as harmless as bullying. I thought everyone was leaving because of me."

trailape Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 3:10 a.m. PST

I suspect we have the same widespread abuse going on in the RAAF, though maybe not quite as bad. I know for a fact that RAAF WOFFs are happy to allow CPLs in the SGTs Mess if they (the CPL) are doing the duties normally associated with a SNCO. Obviously a 'enlightened' RSM would never be so understanding. Furthermore I seriously doubt any RAAF type would insist on using Rank when addressing someone.
;0)

cherrypicker Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 3:20 a.m. PST

Love this, you missed the one about the airman and his berry not fitting over his rollers.

Jemima Fawr12 Dec 2012 4:19 a.m. PST

You're only jealous. ;o)

altfritz Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 4:30 a.m. PST

Was this on the UK version of the Onion?

whoa Mohamed12 Dec 2012 5:51 a.m. PST

I can only point out that the ever more open USAF has rooted out an eliminated such obviously prehistoric treatment. And with US army pride I can only look on with shock and send MY prayers to those Long suffering RAF Folks .England Shame Shame….

FatherOfAllLogic12 Dec 2012 7:25 a.m. PST

If true, the sun has, in fact, set on the British Empire.

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 7:30 a.m. PST

and his berry not fitting over his rollers

What kind of berry? Raspberry or strawberry? Was he a strawberry blonde?

Tgunner12 Dec 2012 9:53 a.m. PST

Oh my gosh… I about fell out of my chair reading this! It's a riot!!! And I thought we teased the "air corps" here a lot! LOL!!!

Dee Jay Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 10:50 a.m. PST

"I have been forced to work for horrid Army people who just don't understand what the military is all about"

It's pretty understandable anybody wanting compensation after an experience like that!

ex-Crab Air

Space Monkey12 Dec 2012 11:14 a.m. PST

That goes right in line with stuff my old pal (who was in the army) started going on about after visiting Nellis AFB here in Vegas.

Mako1112 Dec 2012 1:01 p.m. PST

The horror!

Some of those might be eligible for warcrimes status. Contact your local barrister, if you feel you've been agrieved.

Provost12 Dec 2012 2:52 p.m. PST

Haha Could equally apply here Sparker!

damian Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 3:20 p.m. PST

Highly amusing Sparker, I' ve heard Empress are making figures of RM with their hands in the air and RN in badly fitting suits.Wanna buy an Ipod!

Damian
RAF Regt JTAC

Norman D Landings Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 5:10 p.m. PST

It's good that they feel able to talk about it now, though.

Not so long ago they would have just bottled up the pain and cried themselves to sleep.

Muffling their sobs in their goose down pillows so as not to disturb the airpersons in the adjacent suites.

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 9:11 p.m. PST

Who makes figures for this? Robert

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2012 3:27 a.m. PST

LOL, that was very funny. Somewhat at variance with my fathers experience in the RAF but things ain't what they used to be I expect:)

Inner Sanctum13 Dec 2012 3:52 a.m. PST

I will say that the RAF has far more female members that all the other services put together.

Jemima Fawr13 Dec 2012 3:55 a.m. PST

Inner Sanctum, you say that like it's a bad thing! The Royal Marines dream of such a situation (but only to borrow LBDs, FMBs and makeup tips). ;o)

Legion 413 Dec 2012 10:07 a.m. PST

Not very "Cricket", Old Boy … evil grin

Dynaman878913 Dec 2012 11:00 a.m. PST

News like that must have come straight from the ARRSE's mouth!

link

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2012 1:53 p.m. PST

The Royal Marines dream of such a situation (but only to borrow LBDs, FMBs and makeup tips). ;o)

Very true – it has never failed to amaze me how much female attire and costume appears for the end of deployment sod's opera out of the cramped RM Barracks on board….

And the landing parties are even more inventive – how many high heeled shoes, basques and waspies can you fit into a bergan, for heaven's sake?

ThomasHobbes13 Dec 2012 4:49 p.m. PST

In the Australian military, injuring yourself whilst drunk entitles you to workers compensation and access to defence force medical facilities.

This happened to a guy I know 3 times – he is on a Defence force pension cause he fell off a balcony whilst drunk and hurt himself big time and then there was another case taken to court where another fellow did the same and the court stated that as drinking was such an important element of army culture, the military had a duty of care to soldiers whilst they were off duty getting Bleeped texted in a high rise somewhere.

The Australian military will also fund cosmetic surgery such as breast enlargements as it enhances morale.

I'm not joking either.

ThomasHobbes13 Dec 2012 4:53 p.m. PST

Very true it has never failed to amaze me how much female attire and costume appears for the end of deployment sod's opera out of the cramped RM Barracks on board….

And the landing parties are even more inventive how many high heeled shoes, basques and waspies can you fit into a bergan, for heaven's sake?

Speaking of ladies uniform, I'm hoping this is the Czech airforce's new female uniforms:

Legion 414 Dec 2012 9:19 a.m. PST

Oh My !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! huh? "Check" them out !!!!!

Adam name not long enough16 Dec 2012 9:23 a.m. PST

Damian –

If you rise to it it'll be as bad as AARSE. Probably better to just leave them to it – after all it is less than half the opinion of those that actually have to work with them!

Adam
RAF Regt Ex-TACP (and that shows my age)

damian Inactive Member16 Dec 2012 1:42 p.m. PST

I promise not to bite next time the fish heads start!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.