Help support TMP

"Russo-Japanese War" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Websites for Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Media Message Board

Action Log

11 Dec 2012 9:07 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Naval Gaming 1898-1929 board
  • Crossposted to Early 20th Century Media board
  • Crossposted to Websites for Wargaming board

666 hits since 11 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

hmer2011 Dec 2012 7:59 a.m. PST

I know this is the naval section but, was not sure where else to post this. I am writing a research essay for a college class on the Russo-Japanese War and I need some reputable websites to reference. Wikipedia is out according to the professor. I already know about russojapanesewar.com – So, any other good ones?
Thank You
Brian

MajorB11 Dec 2012 9:44 a.m. PST

Shouldn't you be referring to books rather than websites? "Reputable website" is often a non sequitur particularly when it comes to history!

George II Inactive Member11 Dec 2012 11:11 a.m. PST

This is a WWI site, but contains information germane to 1904-1905 naval topics.

gwpda.org/naval/n0000000.htm

Personal logo vtsaogames Supporting Member of TMP11 Dec 2012 3:48 p.m. PST

No website, but a book: Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear, by Richard Connaughton.

What Margard said.

Cadian 7th Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 6:11 a.m. PST

Just this year military history illustrated did a few articles on the war too.

Ashurman12 Dec 2012 7:21 a.m. PST

As a suggestion, I think the UK sites (Imperial War Museum?) might have e-copies of their multi-volume History of the War between Russia and Japan…title escapes me right now, but it is waaaay comprehensive, if a bit biased toward the Japanese at times (published like 1907-12, something like that…).

Websites are almost always secondary or even tertiary sources (meaning compendia of secondary sources). Especially Wikipedia. I'm afraid that books are your best resource for any research on the RJW, and some are on line. One of my favorites on the early war has always been "Russia and Japan and the War in the Far East" published in 1905/6 and written by an American correspondent, as IIRC. I do know that one is on line.

Having said that, almost every naval site that deals with the early 20th Century has at least equipment and often written materials/analysis/history on the war at sea side.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.