Help support TMP

""Offensive" Nose Art Safe from USAF Policy" Topic

33 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Media Message Board

3,769 hits since 8 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

svsavory08 Dec 2012 9:04 a.m. PST

In response to complaints about "offensive material" in some US Air Force offices and installations, the USAF has issued a directive ordering "inappropriate pictures, objects and other materials" to be removed from workplaces.

Fortunately, pin-up nose art on the US Air Force Museum's aircraft collection will be not be affected.

link

The museum occasionally receives complaints from visitors about the artwork.

Grelber08 Dec 2012 9:13 a.m. PST

I'd wondered about the nose art--sometimes tacky, but historical, and I'd hate to see it go. Management came through our office for inspection yesterday, and didn't find anything. They seemed to think it was largely something at the fighter wings that led the chief of staff to order the inspection.

Grelber

Dn Jackson08 Dec 2012 9:23 a.m. PST

Pathetic. People don't realize that what motivates young men in their prime to fight, isn't going to be politically correct.

teenage visigoth Inactive Member08 Dec 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

Oh irony, puritan people worried that retired instruments of death and executioners of cities have boobies and swears drawn on them.

-TV

Grumpy Monkey08 Dec 2012 9:46 a.m. PST

Always been a argument of the Wife and mine with television as well you can see a guy get his head turned into a canoe, but you see a boob and it's the end of the world

CPBelt08 Dec 2012 9:47 a.m. PST

Well, it is the same way many Deleted by Moderators see everything as racist or sexist. It's the sad times we live in.

SonofThor08 Dec 2012 10:18 a.m. PST

It's the "Chick-a-fication" of the military. God forbid we should offend the enemy.

David Manley08 Dec 2012 11:24 a.m. PST

How could anyone object to something like that? :)

picture

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 1:02 p.m. PST

Safe?
For now.

Mr Elmo08 Dec 2012 1:13 p.m. PST

We are talking about a musem right? History needs to be portayed accurately from slave quarters to swastikas to sexy nose art.

Wolfprophet08 Dec 2012 1:55 p.m. PST

Ugh….

Sickening. I remember reading sometime back about morons being offended by the name "Enola Gay."

Well if you don't like the old noseart, or that people put their mother's names on planes, you DON'T have to ever go back and see them now do ya?! I'll take our history over a bunch of snotty, uptight, politically correct wusses any day of the Bleeped texting week!

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 1:59 p.m. PST

Actually, you know who are the Bleeped text stirrers on 90% of this stuff? Religious folks. Or I should say, conspicuously religious folks.

This isn't a stab at anyone's faith. I'm just saying IME and those of my many friends and acquaintances in both uniformed and non-uniformed service, whether it's DoD, DoJ, DHS, or local LEA, the people who bitch about risque images and "inappropriate language" are almost always carrying a Bible.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian08 Dec 2012 3:21 p.m. PST

How could anyone object to something like that? :)

No idea. Not only is it fairly witty, the gal's not even nekkid – she has shoes on.

Dynaman878908 Dec 2012 4:17 p.m. PST

Nice to see all the people still willing to defend their right to be offensive to everyone else.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian08 Dec 2012 4:22 p.m. PST

Well, the best defense is a good offense, after all.

Allen5708 Dec 2012 5:29 p.m. PST

Dynaman8789,
I will give you benefit of the doubt on how your post can be taken. Put your butt on the line and see how much you care about all the PC and beauracratic BS. Offensive is only in the eyes of the folks who have never had to live a difficult life or make hard decisions.

Dn Jackson08 Dec 2012 6:26 p.m. PST

"Actually, you know who are the stirrers on 90% of this stuff? Religious folks. Or I should say, conspicuously religious folks."

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. It's not, in my experiance the religious right that does this. It's almost always the PC crowd.

corporalpat Inactive Member08 Dec 2012 8:38 p.m. PST

…never mind. Don't get me started. Just study Art History and see all the defaced/destroyed masterpieces over the centuries. All in the name of what is known today as "political correctness". I'm surprised some of this nose art has lasted this long!

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 10:58 p.m. PST

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. It's not, in my experiance the religious right that does this. It's almost always the PC crowd.

I'm speaking specifically about the military, intel and, to a certain extent, LEA communities. Those aren't really areas where one finds many of the professionally offended/PC activist types.

Also, consider what the article was discussing WRT the Air Force. Joe Public wasn't complaining about bare Bleeped text on museum pieces. The policy (which is service-wide) deals with inappropriate material in the professional work environment and was brought about by complaints from servicemen and women. link

Personal logo Stephens123 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member09 Dec 2012 2:05 a.m. PST

Well,

We (The west) are at war with the terrorists, specifically Al Qaeda and the Taliban. These folks seem to have a particular aversion to revealing the female body (hence the burka). Thus it can only be an act of patriotism to show more boobies. :)

Cadian 7th Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2012 2:45 a.m. PST

There have been lawsuits as recently as the 90's targeting the WW2 nose art including ones as pictured above. As an artist and historian, i'm appalled at any groups attempt to ban, alter,destroy any piece of history or art. This belief, and I'm a christian-conservative, extends to books and photos from mein kamf to the maplethorp photos.
The true atrocities are more inline with the warzones and crime scenes I've witnessed. The things done to the defenceless are more important than the petiton/ lawsuit to remove the nose art placed on military vehicles by fellows of similar beliefs as myself who in the main used the art as a reminder of home and what was left behind.
Although we do not decorate our aircraft and fighting vehicles as we used to, several of my battle buddies had me draw cartoons and centerfolds that were taped to dash boards and lockers.

HobbyDr09 Dec 2012 3:13 a.m. PST

svsavory wrote:

Fortunately, pin-up nose art on the US Air Force Museum's aircraft collection will be not be affected.

That is almost correct. The plane at the Museum that gets the most attention is the B-24 Liberator that flew out of North Africa, named the Strawberry Bitch. Originally, she was reclining topless on the nose, wearing only a g-string. In the late 60's the Museum recieved enough complaints to cause them to paint a negligee to cover the nudity. The artist who did this used a transparent blue paint, so as not to obliterate any of the original detail.

Don

svsavory09 Dec 2012 7:51 a.m. PST

I did not know that story about the B-24, Don. Very interesting.

I spent a year as a volunteer at the AF Museum and my assigned area was the WWI/WWII hangar. By WWII standards, the pin-up nose art on the museum's collection is pretty tame (nothing like Ace in the Hole above!). I never heard any negative comments from visitors about the pin-up art. However, I heard many surprised comments (and giggling from kids) about the name Strawberry Bitch.

Scott

Legion 409 Dec 2012 9:30 a.m. PST

Oh how terrible war machines that destroy and kill, but you can't paint a bare naked lady on the side !! huh? LOL !! wink But I can see somewhat of where they are coming from, being a former commander, the government trying to be PC for the public … However, many things that happened in the past, were/are "offensive" to today's "sensibilities" … but it is history, and that's the way it happened … And frankly, I don't care how many Al Quada/Taliban types we offend … evil grin

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Dec 2012 6:57 p.m. PST

I think this discussion has gotten a little off track.

I didn't see where in that story the regulation had anything at all to do with historical nose-art. It appears that the reporter solicitated a response concerning historical nose art from the base commander, who answered that the regulation does not concern historical art. End of discussion.

The core of the matter is described in the last paragraph and has nothing to do with historical nose-art. This really looks to me like Barry Barber of the Dayton Daily News implying a controversy where there isn't one.

Enfant- Do you have some data to back this up? And why does it matter anyway?

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2012 7:28 p.m. PST

The text you have highlighted was Dn Jackson's assertion, not mine.

I happen to agree that this is a case of something being "spared" that was in no danger to begin with.

Wolfprophet09 Dec 2012 8:54 p.m. PST

Thus it can only be an act of patriotism to show more boobies. :)

Then I shall fulfill my patriotic duty and just leave this here!

picture

Personal logo J Womack 94 Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2012 9:33 p.m. PST

Here's a thought: send ledtters to the museum praising them for maintaining these historical aircraft in their original condition.

Then, when they get nervous nellies of whatever stripe (religious, PC, liberal, conservative – who cares?) they can respond with a massive pile of supportive letters.

Legion 410 Dec 2012 2:48 p.m. PST

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! huh?

jdagee Inactive Member11 Dec 2012 7:22 p.m. PST

HobbyDr,

I'm pretty sure it sometime in the late 70's/early 80's Strawberry Bitch was 'clothed'; I grew up in East Dayton and I remember her being nekkid and then, all of a sudden, when she was much more interesting to me as a teenager, she had the negligee on. Always thought it was just me mis-remembering her outfit, but glad to know I wasn't having memory issue then. (just now! :))

R, Jim

HobbyDr11 Dec 2012 11:52 p.m. PST

Jim, I worked in the Museum's gift shop at the old location in the late '60s, and then at its current location in the early '70s. It was in that time frame she was clothed. Her postcard, and the P-40 Flying Tiger's were the two most popular we sold.

Don

soledad Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2012 4:07 a.m. PST

People go to watch aircraft which was used to bomb cities and kill tens of thousands of civilians, but they are upset that there are scantily clad women painted on them?

Nevermind that they dropped HE and other types of bombs on civilian targets to "break the will" of the civilans but A NAKED WOMAN!!! OMG

Strange…

tuscaloosa14 Dec 2012 6:31 a.m. PST

I'm reminded of a certain Attorney General who had to put curtain drapes over the boobs on the statue of "Blind Justice" for his press conferences.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.