Help support TMP

"Cold Wars games?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

637 hits since 7 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

clifblkskull07 Dec 2012 4:29 p.m. PST

Hello Gang,
Inured gang is going to Cold Wars again this year.
What games are you hosting?
Any idea how many games sent to PEL so far.
Thanks,clif

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Dec 2012 5:23 p.m. PST

I sent mine in already. It is a Carlist War game using Black Powder. 28mm. Probably on an 8x10' table.

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP07 Dec 2012 5:32 p.m. PST

I still have to send mine in, but I am running a 20mm Vietnam game using FNG: 2nd Tour rules.

I think I will call it The Mobile Guerrilla Force, the Black Box, and Bo Gritz. It will be a scenario based on the real misson by then CPT Bo Gritz's company of the MGF to recover a top secret black box from a U-2 that crashed over S. Vietnam.

Needless to say, Charlie will get involved … up to no good, of course.

Tom

skinkmasterreturns Inactive Member07 Dec 2012 6:29 p.m. PST

Pictors,is that the game you ran at Origins? I might just pre reg for that one if I can!

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Dec 2012 6:31 p.m. PST

No, it will be different from the one I ran three Origins ago. That was Oriamendi. This will have fewer units but they will be bigger. The scenario will be different and the table will be much bigger with a town in the middle.

Jimmy da Purple08 Dec 2012 3:51 a.m. PST

I am doing the Saga of Aethelflaed. Going with the theme and giving her some credit.

Chris Palmer Supporting Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 4:49 a.m. PST

Here are the games I'm running in the HAWKs room:

Title: The Desperate Defense of the Elvish Kingdom

Rules: Look, Sarge, No Charts: Fantasy, Ancients & Medievals

Period: Fantasy

Scale: 10mm

# of Players: 6 Players

Table Size: 6' X 10'

Day: Saturday

Time: 9:00 AM

Duration: 4 hours

Description: An allied force of High Elves and Wood Elves moves to stop an Evil Necromancer's army of skeleton warriors before it can cross a river into the fertile Elvish lands. This is a first round of public playtests of this latest entry in the "Look, Sarge, No Charts" series of rulebooks. Rules taught by one of the co-authors. Children under 14 with playing adult only.

------------------

Title: Santa Claus vs the Nazis

Rules G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T.

Period: Pulp

Scale: 25mm

# of Players; 8 players

Time: 7:00 PM

Duration: 4 hours

Bent on obtaining fabled and occult objects from across the globe, Hitler sets his sights on the magical factories of Santa's North Pole workshops. If these factories could be turned to munitions production for the Third Reich, nothing would be able stop the Nazi war machine. The Fuhrer dispatches a team of commandos to capture Santa's workshops. Can Santa, his elves, and toys stop the invaders, or will evil prevail? Children under 14 with playing adult only.

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 4:59 a.m. PST

These are the games that I'll be running:

Title: Duke Morrison and the Mounties
Rules: The G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. Compendium
Scale: 28mm skirmish
Day: Friday
Time: 1000-1330
Duration: 3.5 hours
Description: Professor Nannini has developed an anti-gravity ray the Venusians and their gangster minions want. To convince the professor to share his invention, they have tied his daughter (also a physicist) to a log, which is inching toward a large saw blade. Nannini is the kind of girl wounded Marines crawl through broken glass and burning desert to catch a final glimpse of before they die. Duke Morrison and his companions, along with Sergeant Preston and a squad of Mounties, try to rescue the girl, defeat the gangsters, and break up the Venusian laboratory. Younger gamers welcome with a participating adult.

Title: Duke Morrison versus the Thuggees
Rules: The G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. Compendium
Scale: 28mm skirmish
Day: Friday
Time: 1800-2130
Description: The beautiful daughter of professor Nannini has been captured by a band of Thuggees and is about to be sacrificed to Kali. Nannini is the kind of girl wounded Marines crawl through broken glass and burning desert to catch a final glimpse of before they die. Duke Morrison and his companions, along with a squad of British soldiers, will try to reach the hidden temple and rescue the girl from the Thuggees and their minions. Younger gamers welcome with a participating adult.

Title: Battle of Vauchamps, 14 February 1814
Rules: Fate of Battle: Look, Sarge, No Charts: Napoleonic Wars
Period: Napoleonic Wars, 1814 Campaign
Time: 0900-1230
Description: Napoleon moves against what he thinks is a weak force under the direct command of Marshal Blucher. The Prussian leader with 20,000 men marches towards Vauchamps where he runs into a force under Marshal Marmont. Blucher's men find themselves in a nasty fight, and Blucher orders a retreat. Grouchy's cavalry maneuvers to trap the Prussians, but his advance is slowed by boggy ground. The recently released Fate of Battle employs unique mechanics for a Napoleonic game that satisfies aficionados, newcomers, and those who have sworn off the period. Fight the battle, not the rules. No gamers under 12, please.

Title: Battle of Montereau, 18 February 1814
Time: 1500-1830
Description:
With a second Allied army under Field Marshal Karl Schwarzenberg moving against Paris, Napoleon switches his sights from Marshal Blucher's Army of Silesia to the threatening Army of Bohemia. A 100-kilometre forced march had exhausted the French troops, but they attack Schwarzenberg with élan. The recently released Fate of Battle employs unique mechanics for a Napoleonic game that satisfies aficionados, newcomers, and those who have sworn off the period. Fight the battle, not the rules. No gamers under 12, please.

Title: Battle of Craonne 7 March, 1814
Time: 1900-2230
Description:
Marshal Blucher has recovered from his earlier setbacks more quickly than Napoleon expected, so the French emperor switches his attacks from Field Marshal Schwarzenberg back to the Prussian commander. The French push the Allies over the Aube river. While Blucher prepares his counter attack Napoleon strikes first. Napoleon's aim is to pin the Allies and then launch Marshal Ney against their flank. The recently released Fate of Battle employs unique mechanics for a Napoleonic game that satisfies aficionados, newcomers, and those who have sworn off the period. Fight the battle, not the rules. No gamers under 12, please.

Rwphillipsstl Supporting Member of TMP09 Dec 2012 7:08 a.m. PST

Anyone running anything for Piquet?

clifblkskull09 Dec 2012 10:48 a.m. PST

Some cool stuff.really like the pulp list.
Clif

John Michael Priest12 Dec 2012 2:04 p.m. PST

I am running a 54mm Civil war game on battalion level. April 2, 1865, the Sixth Corps attack on the Petersburg line.

I am running it on Friday twice and once on Saturday.

firstvarty197914 Dec 2012 10:21 p.m. PST

We're running our Antietam/Miller's Cornfield game again. Saturday at 10 am – 2 pm and 4 pm – 8 pm.

picture

114th Pennsylvania15 Dec 2012 7:56 a.m. PST

The Organizers of NJCON5 (June 7th & 8th 2013) have brought several gameclubs together (MAPHOGS, Rogues, Del-Val Gamers, Philly-FoW, NYWA) to run the following Games. We are looking forward to Cold Wars this year. (Mayans be d@mned!)

Thursday Evening
Operation Citadel 1943 FoW
Battle of the Bulge 1944 FoW

Friday Morning
Bushy Run 1763 TVG
Battle of Port Republic RF&F

Friday Afternoon
Floating Catfight (Theme Game) Desperado
Battle of Severn 1655 Pike & Shot

Friday Evening
Battle of Buariki Lock & Load Heroes of the Pacific
Building a Napoleonic house in 28 mm (Popular Seminar by Dave Waxtel with supplies provided by Organizers of NJCON5)

Saturday Morning
Floating Catfight (Theme Game) Desperado
Borodino- The Great Redoubt Shako II

Saturday Afternoon
Battle of Buariki Lock & Load Heroes of the Pacific
Battle of Bushy Run 1763

Saturday Evening
Siege of Vienna 1683 F&F Modified
The Noose Tightens 1813 RF&F/Limmies&Slimmies

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP20 Dec 2012 12:15 p.m. PST

I'm doing Mount Badon with Splintered Light 15mm armies and PRIDE OF LIONS without the magic. BIG dark ages battle, six players (or teams) and 1200+ minis on the table.

clifblkskull20 Dec 2012 4:56 p.m. PST

Wow doc, sounds cool.
Clif

epturner20 Dec 2012 5:19 p.m. PST

No games for me this time. It's Drill Weekend and I'm running a course. So, I might do a drive by on Friday, but that's all…

Eric

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.