Help support TMP

"Is 10% a real discount???" Topic

68 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Industry Message Board

1,882 hits since 29 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Nov 2012 5:33 p.m. PST

I see bunch of these 10% discounts Do you think this amount a real discount? Maybe I am spoiled by the BTD 35-70% off sales. :)

What do you think?

A Yes it is
B Who are you kidding?
C Perhaps, depends, I don't know, don't really care
D A higher discount would probably entice me to buy.
E Other

21eRegt29 Nov 2012 5:37 p.m. PST

D

PaulyJ29 Nov 2012 5:40 p.m. PST

D

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Nov 2012 5:45 p.m. PST

D – but I still won't look a gift horse in the mouth. At least it offsets taxes, or most of the postage.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Nov 2012 6:11 p.m. PST

D. 10% is usually not enough to move where I normally would not. That's why Warstore's Black Friday (5%) got none of my cash this, last or the previous year. It went to other vendors that went 20%.

CPBelt Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 6:13 p.m. PST

10% is chump change. I had just mentioned this to my son this morning. He agreed.

DeanMoto Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 6:19 p.m. PST

E. it covers the sales tax here in WA State

Skeptic29 Nov 2012 6:25 p.m. PST

D.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 6:38 p.m. PST

Yes, it is a discount. 10% as a matter of fact. Is 10% enough of a discount to make me buys figs I wasn't already planning on buying? No, it is not. If I was going to buy the figs, it is nice gesture that helps balance out the shipping.

Personal logo Blake Walker Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 6:53 p.m. PST

10% discount will cover sales tax in MO, too. My LGS only offers a 10% on items if you ask for it. However, there are local shops that offer 15-25% off retail of GW. If I was going to buy anything, it probably would be GW at 20-25% off. I don't see the point in paying full retail for their products with their latest price increases.

As an aside, I've cut back to buying at the LGS that only gives 10% off retail. I do buy paint and brushes there. That is about it. If I'm going to spend money, I'd rather work with a retailer or manufacturer who give me the best deal for my money.

My two cents,
Blake

raylev3 Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:05 p.m. PST

D….I'll take a 10 percent discount on something I was going to buy anyways.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:10 p.m. PST

Ac10% discount would not entice me to buy something I was on the borderline of buying, or less.
If I "needed" something, it would have me buy there.

Delthos29 Nov 2012 7:11 p.m. PST

It's a real discount. Like others have said though, it's not going to entice me into buying something I wasn't already planning to buy. That being said, everything else being equal, if I'm looking to buy something I'm probably going to go with the one selling at 10% discount rather than full price.

OldGrenadier Fezian29 Nov 2012 7:17 p.m. PST

Let's put it this way: Wal-Mart gives it's employees a 10% employee discount on non-food items. Is it a big discount? No, but it's enough to offset sales tax in general. In our little industry it just about covers most shipping, so it's a discount.

thosmoss29 Nov 2012 7:18 p.m. PST

It's been proven before that I go Renfield-stupid-crazy if you tell me it's 40% off. Increasing degrees of sobriety leave me scoffing at 10%.

sillypoint29 Nov 2012 7:24 p.m. PST

10% is the difference between profitability and bankruptcy for most businesses.

If a business can give you significantly more, you'd question their normal margins.

Spreewaldgurken Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 7:25 p.m. PST

If you think it's insignificant, then I assume you'd have no objection to a 10% increase in your taxes?

RudyNelson Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 7:26 p.m. PST

It may be viewed different when buying on-line vs in-store or at a convention.

A 10% discount in a store or convention purchase will cover the cost of sales tax.

On-line a 10% discount may cover shipping.

Stores that offer discounts accept a lower level of profit. A 10% discount means that a store that sells a $20 USD item will sell it for $18. USD So an item that he pays $12 USD for (40% wholesale discount for product is standard though many companies do only about a 35% discount. So the profit level on the $20 USD item drops from $8 USD to $6 USD which os a whooping 25% loss in profit revenue for a store.

A manufacturer can in most cases afford a larger discount level because their profit level is considerabley higher. In some cases as much as 85 to 90%. they do nopt have to split the profit with distributors or the B&M store. In fact many will ship direct from the factory in just minimal bagging thus saving them even more in packaging costs.

leidang Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:27 p.m. PST

Same as everyone else. It might be enough to get me to buy something I want earlier than planned. Not enough to get me looking at anything I wasn't already planning on buying sometime.

25-30% will usually get me to go poke through someones website looking at what they have.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:28 p.m. PST

If you think it's insignificant, then I assume you'd have no objection to a 10% increase in your taxes?

Taxes are not "discretionary spending". grin

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:31 p.m. PST

If I *have to* get Battlefront miniatures, I will go to The Warstore for the 10% discount. That does not mean that if I have a choice between BF and Old Glory that I will go for the Warstore discount. It just means that it determines where I will buy the "needed" junk.

I am much more likely to buy Zvezda or PSC, and the Warstore's discount means that I will buy there.

ming3129 Nov 2012 7:33 p.m. PST

any discount is better than no discount at all .

TMPWargamerabbit29 Nov 2012 7:34 p.m. PST

Helpful but not worth my time searching for… hence the marketing effort to create "buzz" is lost. I always go straight to the bottom line total cost… including taxes, shipping and possible customs. Then compare value to my dollar bills remaining in wallet to my "want or must have now factor".

Generally, I never purchase new stuff when I have a cleared …ie all projects painted…looking for the next project situation. I delay purchases till when I have a huge backlog on my painting table…. so the purchase "bug" is muted.

WR

TheMasterworkGuild Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 7:52 p.m. PST

I think it's a nice gesture in the spirit of Xmas! But It doesn't make the difference between buy or no buy. 10% off something that is on per-order is usually more enticing somehow…

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:56 p.m. PST

I think there is a question of whether you are talking about retail or 2nd hand sales.

Retail, sure it can interest me. The margin on some things isn't that great. If I am pretty interested it can make me go ahead and pick up the item. If I have little interest than probably not.

2nd hand items rarely grab my interest unless they are at least 1/3 off and usually 50% off.

My personal pet peeve is retailers in the USA who import items and sell them for a substantially higher percentage than buying direct in the UK would cost. Take Heroics and Ros 6mm figs. Direct purchase would be about $4.70 USD-4.75 including postage. Buying in the USA runs $6.50 USD plus postage. That's about 2 dollars for the privilege for buying in the USA. It's a crock. The UK Company should intervene. Oh, I'm sure that I will see a few folks post that imported lines provide lower margins so they have to do this. My retort is if you can't make a fair profit at a fair price comparable with the parent Company don't carry the line.

YMMV.

Thanks,

John

Mako1129 Nov 2012 8:09 p.m. PST

D.

It should be remembered that a 10% discount reduces the average profit made on items sold by about 20%, or more, depending upon the discount the retailer gets from his suppliers.

Personal logo Ooh Rah Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 8:19 p.m. PST

A

Well, it's a discount to me. It's like free shipping. Now I'll try out some of the 10mm fantasy figures from Copplestone Castings.

Allen5729 Nov 2012 9:04 p.m. PST

10% is a discount and influences my purchasing. If an item is on my future buy list a 10% discount may entice me to buy it now. If I am going to buy an item now 10% will decide whom I buy it from.

Doug MSC Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 11:16 p.m. PST

If you purchase $1,000.00 USD of miniatures over the year, you save $100.00 USD or, look at it another way, you have $100.00 USD more to spend on miniatures.

Personal logo Sergeant Paper Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 11:19 p.m. PST

A

agrippavips29 Nov 2012 11:53 p.m. PST

D

Iowa Grognard Inactive Member30 Nov 2012 12:09 a.m. PST

E. People are conditioned to fall for the 50%-70% off msrp garbage so when we see only 10% off something we almost feel cheated.

In the end, if 10% off gets the wife to agree with the purchasing of more "man dolls", it is real.

Marcus Maximus30 Nov 2012 12:47 a.m. PST

A and then E – it depends on associated / collateral costs.

But 10% is a kind enough start…..

Rassilon Inactive Member30 Nov 2012 12:56 a.m. PST

10% has never been a deciding factor in any purchase I've ever made… Free shipping on the other hand has.

Angel Barracks30 Nov 2012 2:34 a.m. PST

A Very much depends, when I stocked a lot of other peoples goods I got 30% of RRP.
So me offering 10% off was really cutting back on what I made.
So it was a good discount from me.

However the people I bought from could obviously offer a 30% discount if you bought direct from them.
So it all depends…

blacksmith Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 2:44 a.m. PST

D

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 3:00 a.m. PST

10% is nice to have, but not usually enough to entice me to buy something I wasn't thinkng of buying the first place unless we are talking 10% off a LARGE amount of money.

10% off the cost of buying a house is well worth having. 10% off the price of a bag of 15mm figures, less so.

The 10% deal I missed on the suit I bought for my wedding is something which still rankles after all these years….. It was a very nice suit though.

advocate30 Nov 2012 3:32 a.m. PST

My personal pet peeve is retailers in the USA who import items and sell them for a substantially higher percentage than buying direct in the UK would cost.

It works the other way as well, John. It's not unusual to see dollar prices convverted directly to pounds sterling.

op: It is a discount. It might affect where I buy things but not whether I will. My purchases are either planned (so I'll get them when I need them) or impulse (so I want them now).

Colonel Bogey30 Nov 2012 3:56 a.m. PST

Yes it's a discount, and probably represents a sizeable percentage of the profit margin of many of the suppliers in this hobby.

The other questions would be, if punters are so apparently price-insensitive when it comes to discounts:

a) why should anyone bother offering it?
b) why don't manufacturers increase their prices by a similar margin, which could represent a 30% to 50% increase in their profits?

Discuss…

Green Tiger30 Nov 2012 4:23 a.m. PST

Any reduction in price is a discount surely so A.
As a punter obviously you are going to be tempted by a lower price.

Mr Elmo30 Nov 2012 4:56 a.m. PST

10% is basically free shipping; for normal companies that don't rape you on shipping that is.

A better option might be to skip the 10% and advertise free shipping instead.

Personal logo GeoffQRF Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 5:22 a.m. PST

A better option might be to skip the 10% and advertise free shipping instead

From a commercial point of view, that would cost us 30% on orders overseas…

During our sale period(s) we offer 10%, but we keep the multiple purchase discounts active (so 6+ of any item gets another 10%) and things like the Ambush Alley SOG discount is another 5%, assuming you are a member.

irishserb Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 5:42 a.m. PST

A. Kind of a silly question from my perspective.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 5:46 a.m. PST

A – obviously 10% is a discount. Whether it's enough of a discount to get someone to buy what they otherwise wouldn't is a different question.

Sergeant Crunch30 Nov 2012 6:01 a.m. PST

It is a real discount. An imaginary 10% discount would be .9x*i (x being the MSRP).

stecal Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 6:01 a.m. PST

D – it might encourage me to buy something I already wanted, but wont make me go browsing for something I didn't need

Rorschach30 Nov 2012 7:25 a.m. PST

A – Of course it's a discount. 1% off is a discount. Is it a discount that will get you to BUY? That's another question altogether and depends on what the purchase is tbh.

In some cases, 10% off is the absolute best a seller can do (cutting into their profits to the point of making nothing). In others, it's a pittance.

10% off could be the equivalent of No Taxes or Free Shipping (again depending on the item).

Funny enough "Free Shipping" is often a better incentive to get people to buy, even if that ends up being LESS than the 10% would be. Perception is a strange beast.

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

Rudy has it right. 10% from a manufacturer is not really much of a discount, but from a B&M retailer, it is much more so.

That said: D, it would not entice me to buy, but if I were already going to buy, I would not say no to a 10% discount.

Dale

(I make fun of others) Inactive Member30 Nov 2012 10:17 a.m. PST

Why don't you give up 10% of your income (maybe give it to charity) and then get back to us?

Personal logo nazrat Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 10:34 a.m. PST

E. Any discount is a discount, but I will buy what I want regardless of cost. But then, I am not a stereotypical cheap-ass gamer! 8)=

Pages: 1 2