Help support TMP

"Child Guidance (celluloid) buildings...what glue to use?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to the Zombies Message Board

642 hits since 21 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

geekygamer21 Nov 2012 4:40 p.m. PST

I recently won a CG lot on eBay for my new urban 15mm zombie landscape. It will be my first time working with celluloid. For those of you that have assembled CG kits, what glue works well?

I read that it is super flammable…anything else I should be aware of?

DyeHard21 Nov 2012 7:26 p.m. PST

I have no direct experience with Guidancetown. But I do know a bit about plastics. And I am pretty sure the term "celluloid" has nothing to with the buildings. I suspect it was thrown in to get more hits on ebay searches.

The building look like polystyrene to me, so classic model airplane glue should work. The kits are designed to be built without glue. But I suspect the locking parts may be brittle by now, so gluing might become needed.

With plastic there are two ways to go. Welding (which is what classic model glues do) that is soften the plastic until it flows together. For this type you do need to know what type of plastic you are working with. Or true gluing, this could be done with CA (Super Glue) or a urethane like gorilla glue. Here the original parts are not affected (hopefully), and you do not need to know what type of plastic it is.

This is an old manual for the toy, but no mention of glue:
link

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART21 Nov 2012 9:18 p.m. PST

Too Blurry to read but if it is plastic, the airplane glue should work. When in doubt, epoxy will out!

Lion in the Stars21 Nov 2012 11:33 p.m. PST

Plastruct Plasti-Weld.

Superglue will also work, it's just not anywhere near as strong as using a glue that melts the two pieces together.

Maxshadow Supporting Member of TMP21 Nov 2012 11:40 p.m. PST

And celluloid can be removed with exercise and a good diet.

panzerCDR22 Nov 2012 5:44 a.m. PST

What figures are you using and how do they look compared to the building scale? I read some advertisement that the sets are 1/8" per foot which looks about 1/96 scale.

geekygamer22 Nov 2012 9:47 a.m. PST

Do a search for "Child Guidance 15mm" and you can see the fit. Looks better that HO to me.

It may state the material composition on the box. I know celluloid was used in production of various goods at the time.

No response from folks who have the stuff?

panzerCDR22 Nov 2012 11:13 a.m. PST

Thanks for the assist. They DO look neat!

MGen Franklin23 Nov 2012 10:49 a.m. PST

I have a box of the stuff. It is NOT celluloid. Being it's from the 50's or 60's and the early "plastic injection" model days I'd say it's "polystyrene" the same stuff they were making models out of. There is a chance that it is an "acetate plastic" which is what the early REVELL models were. If a date can be found as to when it was in production that would narrow it down. I'm finding mid to late 60's which would make it "polystyrene".

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.