Help support TMP

"Necromunda: Original model collecting/painting project " Topic

43 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Gallery Message Board

Back to the Warhammer Message Board

Back to the SF Media Message Board

Back to the 28mm Sci-Fi Message Board

2,833 hits since 20 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Zoring20 Nov 2012 8:51 p.m. PST

Hello chaps, time for a change of pace of me, and to launch into another project! I want to eventually collect and paint all of the cool original models from the 1995-1997 period of GW's Necromunda (although the Goliaths models are pretty awful)

I have always loved the Necromunda figures, it was the height of Necromunda when I got into the wargaming hobby in 1996 and so my early days of White Dwarf magazine where filled with these models and i've always had a massive soft spot for them, and my early days of gaming was with Necromunda and Gorkamorka as well as 2nd Ed 40k, although I never did at the time own any Necromunda figures!

I have the Escher gang all complete and finished, so I will trickle them out one at a time as I go to keep you interested whilst I paint through the other ones, I will also be painting my WFB Empire/DOW/Napoleonic Prussians at the same time so I will be going slowly!

Escher Ganger with Autogun and Pistol, Escher Ganger with Lasgun

These are all painted up Punk Rockers/Hair Band girls from the 80's bright colours and big hair so what else could they be!

Orlock Juve and Ratskin Ganger

These wip figures show my new thing, Grey Undercoat, for me the perfect balance between providing a bit of shading and still keeping the colours vibrant, so we will see how they go! I am not sure on what to do with the Orlocks just yet, although their obvious Biker looks is making me lean towards black leather jackets and blue jeans, we will see how it goes. With the ratskins I am thinking up earthy tones for clothing, with Albino ratskin cloaks and some Native American inspired facial warpaint, If I can give an impression of these guys I will be very pleased.

Lastly of all to anyone reading this I am looking for the following gangs to buy from you anyone with them, if anyone has the complete or even partial collections I am chasing the following figures:

The Beast Rabban Supporting Member of TMP21 Nov 2012 7:08 a.m. PST

Are you planning on tackling the limited edition & hard-to-find minis from the pre-Necromunda Confrontation project?

The brats and venators rocked! Hope I haven't opened a can of worms.

Zoring21 Nov 2012 8:36 a.m. PST

I am not planning that Rabban, as those miniatures were before my time. I wasn't even aware of them until quite recently actually!

There are some very cool models in those ranges, but this project is a bit of a nostalgia trip for me so I'm not going to try to get the pre 95 stuff.

Jovian121 Nov 2012 10:21 a.m. PST

You can get the Spyrer Hunter figures here: link

Zoring22 Nov 2012 2:59 a.m. PST

Hallo chaps! Got another little man painted, just the one this week, but I have been purchasing as well.

Ratskin Renegade with Lasgun

This was a fun model to paint and i'm pleased with how the little fella turned out, the little symbol on his rifle was a native american symbol I doodled on.

Never painted pink before! I am thinking I need to spruce up the bases on my guys a little, might get some scenic ones! Haven't decided yet. But just wanted to start painting so didn't have time to fiddle with fancy basing and just get a ratskin painted up. Really enjoying these old Necromunda models.

Zoring22 Nov 2012 7:12 a.m. PST

Some more girls step up, going to do all of my Chainswords with the industrial hazard stripes, love that look. Although I just notice now in the photo that a couple of the stripes are slightly irregular!

Escher with Autogun, Escher with Autopistol and Chainsword

A few new models have arrived and are primed and ready to go! At this moment painting up the brave, I am taking my time with these boys getting one done at a time, very enjoyable way to paint but slow!

Redemptionist with Shotgun, Ratskin Brave with Musket (haha!) Scavvy with Shotgun

I have a cool paintjob planned for the redemptionist going to be fairly bold I hope, and for the Scavvies my idea was to paint them in tattered industrial safety clothing, yellow or orange types, maybe a high vis stripe or two, do it on a case by case basis! Represent them either raiding or being ex-factory workers.

Andoreth Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2012 1:42 p.m. PST

If you were to want to beef up any of your gangs with non-GW figures you should have a look at the Delaque and Cawdor figures on Shapeways site, along with a still in the scenery section.

Zoring22 Nov 2012 4:30 p.m. PST

Thanks Andoreth I'll keep that in mind

Night time painting!

Anyhow, had a productive night, and decided to take a late night photo of my now finished Brave. Great model (although not really the most grimdark 40k piece! But i love it anyway.) Really pleased with the eyes on this chap, and happy how the facepaint came out. Think i'm going to stipple a bit of rust on a few more things now since it brightens up a piece of scenery quite nicely.

Ratskin Brave with Musket

Time for a break! Poptarts nom nom!

Personal logo CPBelt Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2012 7:22 p.m. PST

I new that was a Pop-Tart! Ah, to be young enough to enjoy a Pop-Tart without caring about its carb count. :-)

I like the Native American influences. You should think about getting a blog started. I'd love to follow the project. Your painting is excellent.

Zoring24 Nov 2012 5:18 a.m. PST

Thanks CPBelt, I haven't had them for many years (they stopped selling them in Australia but I saw them at a discount store and couldn't pass them up!) You've inspired me to start one now, I haven't got it up and pretty yet, but i've made an account and will get to putting some stuff up on it this week.

Now I know this isn't Necromunda, but I have my second guard army that has been sitting neglected for about a year, I lost inspiration on them and it took me a while to figure out why. They were too dark! The colours I painted were very realistic and looked pretty good individually, but when you put them all together they were very dull. So I took the time to brighten one up a goodly amount, helps it pop I feel, hope you agree!

I actually have a Necromunda scenario in my head involving Guardsmen/PDF, maybe I'll try to develop it in the future and post it up! (maybe some exist already! Feel free to share!)

I bet some clever wargamer on here can guess the military that the uniform colours are based on!

Before and After (kinda)

KTravlos Supporting Member of TMP24 Nov 2012 10:15 a.m. PST

Necromunda was the first GW game I ever got. It took a lot of persuading to my parents and my sister since it had to be a game we could both play. She went with the house orlock ? gang because they reminded her of west side story :p

Griefbringer25 Nov 2012 8:47 a.m. PST

Very impressive looking paint station in the pictures. How is it made?

The Angry Piper Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2012 5:13 a.m. PST

Your paint station is way cleaner than mine. Mine stays organized right up until I start painting something. Then it's a nightmare.

Great work, especially on the Eschers. I have an unpainted Cawdor gang I've been meaning to get to since Necromunda came out. 15+ years later and they're still unpainted, but I purchased some Micro Art Studios Tech Bases for them last month, so maybe I'll get to them eventually.

Caesar26 Nov 2012 7:41 a.m. PST

My paint station is covered in paint and miniature parts, bits of terrain, it spills onto the floor… There are things on there that I haven't seen in years.

Zoring27 Nov 2012 5:11 a.m. PST

Hey chaps, thought I would post with news that thanks to CPBelt I have made a blog :) if you do blogging feel free to go have a look, it only has the updates in here so far. But I will be adding more stuff to it soon, and to here as well!

zoring.blogspot.com.au

KTravlos: I don't know how many song and dance numbers they will break into, but we will see :D

Griefbringer: The paint holders are made by an Australian company called Miniature Scenary

link

They have some cool stuff, including the paint racks (which i sprayed black) but be warned they take a while to assemble and clean up! They come as flat packs and you have to do a lot of trimming and filing, but the end result is pretty nice!

Piper: Thanks, you should get to your Cawdor! Very cool miniatures, and 15 years is a long time :)

Piper/Caeser: My paint station is a far sight messier now! It only stays that tidy for a couple of days, and soon degenerates into anarchy!

Coming up next… Tanks and Redemption!

Zoring30 Nov 2012 6:19 a.m. PST

Burn the witch! Cool models the redemptionists, very fitting in the 40k universe the crazed Zealot and not really represented on the 40k battlefield at all (besides Chaos worshippers!). Then again, crazed untrained, poorly armed and un-armoured men stand no chance against professional soldiers, let alone the horrors that the 40k universe spawns!

In the sprawling underhive however, plenty of witches to burn!

Redemptionist with Shotgun

Hope you guys like my choice of colours with this one, didn't want to go for the hot rod flame effect on the robe, they like to burn things not be burnt themselves after all! Besides, fanatics don't tend see themselves as such and having flame robes seems too self aware to me :P

firstvarty197930 Nov 2012 10:12 a.m. PST

I used to have a Cawdor gang, including all of the models they made for it, plus a couple of conversions, but I sold them on eBay years ago.

Back when it first came out, I ran a weekly game of Necromunda at my local store for a solid year using the same gang. I think only one character survived all of the roughly 50 games/battles that gang went through! Life is tough down inside the Hive-city!

firstvarty197930 Nov 2012 9:14 p.m. PST

Oh, here is a picture of that gang.

link

Zoring01 Dec 2012 2:34 a.m. PST

They look pretty good in the studio scheme too, what made you get rid of them? I know people sell painted models quite often, but the amount of time I put into painting them I don't think I could let them go!

spooktalker Fezian Inactive Member01 Dec 2012 9:17 p.m. PST

Good luck with the project--you're off to a fine start! There's no setting I love more than Necromunda and like you I plan to have all the gangs painted one day.

Space Monkey02 Dec 2012 10:54 a.m. PST

This thread is putting me in the mood to play Necromunda again… it's been too long.

I wonder if the Redemptionists were a call back to the Red Redemptionists in Laserburn…

Zoring18 Dec 2012 6:55 a.m. PST

Thans spooktalker! You should Jim, it's the best game GW did, and there is all this massive supplementary material produced by nerds over the years. These latest photos show my favourite work to date, my mother is a furniture restorer and I must have inherited some of that drive from her because I have 'restored' these miniatures and it please me more than doing up some brand new models. Hope you like the results also :)

Before, my 2nd hand redemptionists

After, Redemptionist with Autogun, Redemptionist with Stubgun and Autopistol, Redemptionist with two Autopistols

Anyway, got some more men sprayed and ready to go, a Cawdor, a Goliath and some other to go! Will show you my box of wonder/horror in my next post!

nvdoyle18 Dec 2012 10:17 a.m. PST

Zoring, your work is an inspiration, and the Ratskins are exactly what I had in mind for mine! grin

Let us know about the Orlocks – I've got a few of those, and I'm not sure what to do with them, either. Cawdor and Escher are going to be doing double duty as gangers and Inquisitorial henchmen.

I've got to get my gangs/warbands painted up and on the table, I've let them languish too many years…

PrimiPili21 Dec 2012 4:04 a.m. PST

That restoration work is outstanding. Love the whole thread.

nvdoyle21 Dec 2012 7:42 a.m. PST

Zoring, did you strip and re-prime/paint the Redemptionists, or did you just paint over, or…?

MaxieTPB Inactive Member21 Dec 2012 8:02 a.m. PST

Zoring, you are doing great work here, you've been inspirational to me. I've re-started my Necromunda collection by digging out my old Goliath gang (1st version) and the few old Escher I could find, and just today I bit the bullet and ordered the Escher Gang box from GW.

Like many of you, I think the Escher are among the best sculpts GW ever produced. Now, time to get painting! :)

Zoring23 Dec 2012 7:08 a.m. PST

nvdoyle: I will, once I figured it out :P The original GW scheme isn't too shabby, but we shall see. The Necro figs would be great in scenarios or as inquisitorial chaps. The redepmptionists were stripped in Acetone and then given a stiff brushing.

Thanks PrimiPili :)

Awesome to hear MaxieTPB, I would love to see them once you have gotten going on them! The escher sculpts were my first step too, they are so full of character and well done, probably about the only convincing females GW has ever done too.

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART23 Dec 2012 12:55 p.m. PST

Great stuff from all of you. That is what it's all about, imagination coupled with focus. Good inspiration for all of us.

Zoring24 Dec 2012 12:48 a.m. PST

Ok, haven't finished my Goliath and Cawdor yet, although they are en-route, in the meantime here is one i prepared earlier. Love the expression on this lady, very fierce, and it was my first attempt at Tartan too :) Turned out pretty well.

Escher Ganger with Autopistol and Sword

Zoring24 Dec 2012 8:06 p.m. PST

Merry Christmas everybody! Hope you all have a nice holiday period and get the goodies you asked for, aren't we glad it wasn't the calender induced apocalypse!

Just wanted to show off my box of wonder/horror (currently wonder, as i get through it it might turn to the latter) my almost complete collection of Necromunda 95/97 figures awaiting paint jobs. Think you guys can ID them all? You'll go mad trying :P Like me!

MaxieTPB Inactive Member25 Dec 2012 10:23 a.m. PST

Merry Christmas to you, Zoring! :)I myself got 3 Eschers off of eBay yesterday, including the Bolt Pistol/Grenade one that's a grail for me.

I can't wait to see more Necromunda minis from you, and that's an excellent job you did on the Escher with sword.

PMC31725 Dec 2012 12:18 p.m. PST

First off – Merry Christmas!

This is something I, too, embarked on a while ago (for the same reasons!). So far I have the entire Escher gang completed, all the Ratskins, and almost all the Orlocks. I am pretty sure I have nearly all the 1995-1997 Hired Guns (with maybe one or two exceptions), and I need to get cracking on the rest really.

Your stuff is jolly inspiring, and I really like the way you've done the Redemptionists. The grey robes are wonderful.

What is most amazing is that you actually have all the Van Saar, Cawdor, Goliath, etc figures! The Spyrers are something I'm quite looking forwards to.

If you're interested, I can link to my stuff (there are some pics on my blog if you search the archives: theweekswork.blogspot.com)

Zoring01 Jan 2013 5:59 a.m. PST

Thank you MaxieTPB, that Escher is my favourite Escher sculpt! I have a good paintjob done for her too, will post it up soon :)

Same to you PMC317! I have had a look through your blog, some really cool stuff on there, When i get around to updating my blog totally I will add you. Not sure how I will paint the Spyrers yet! Waiting for inspiration :)

Goliath Online! As the little walker said in Starcraft back in this era. Got my big muscle man painted, not the greatest of sculpts by a long shot but one of the better Goliath ones. Couldn't resist putting some hazard stripes on his rifle, I will continue that with the rest of the Goliaths, feel it fits their heavy industry background and its my favourite trend of the 'red era'.

The muscles on this guy though! Blimey, must be some serious drugs in the underhive!

[B]Goliath with Autogun and Axe

Cawdor Juvie next! They will be tied in with the redemptionists in their paint scheme, since the Redemptionists are meant to be part of the Cawdor House anyhow!

Zoring04 Jan 2013 6:10 a.m. PST

My first Cawdor is done, He has a rusty old Knife as a Juve but his laspistol is kept in good condition! The hazard stripes will remind him to point away from face! I deliberately wanted the Cawdor to tie in with the Redemptionists, firstly, because the Redemptionists are part of the Cawdor house, so I see these guys as being part of the same sect, and secondly because it also gives me the opportunity to use them in 40k games as a single unit, since they mix so well.

Cawdor Juve with Laspistol

Quite like this colour scheme, have to resist the urge to paint it on everything haha :D

Zoring21 May 2013 7:48 a.m. PST

Hello chaps! Back on the Necromunda painting again. I did these two because they represent the Best and Worst miniatures in the Necromunda gang. The two Deacons.

The Worst: Deacon with Flamer, not the worst model in the Necromunda range, but the worst in the Redemptionst, this guy is a bit lame imo for two reasons, firstly, his hat, it is completely flat, there is no room at all for this guys face to be, unless his nose and lips and chin have been ground flat (not an impossibility in the underhive I suppose!) but his totally tubular head annoys me and secondly his arms, ludicrously large for his body and far too long, they would reach past his knees if they were resting down. If those arms were replaced with some human sized sleeved ones it'd be a pretty good model I think. Really 40k this guy.

The Deacon with Grenade Launcher is my favourite Redemptionist model and in my Top 5 Necro models of the entire range. Well proportioned, excellent pose with the robes flowing naturally in the direction of movement, and the absolutely fierce grotesque mask that he's wearing, coupled with that studded hoot, brilliant. A figure that feels totally 40k to me.

Redemptionist Deacon with Grenade Launcher and Redemptionist Deacon with Flamer

Zoring22 May 2013 10:11 a.m. PST

Inspiration struck suddenly at work today! (yesterday now its 1am!) So i stayed up all night painting this one guy. The Orlock Juve, I initially wrestled with a concept for these guys and then decided to leave it, let it simmer and see what happens, well today I was thinking about the colour schemes I wanted for all the un-started gangs and I thought, oo I want to paint checkers on something, but which gang.

Then I thought ah, the bandanna's and loincloths on the Orlocks, of course! suddenly I had images of 50's diners, Race cars, Rockabilly and greasers, those old timey American mechanic shops and so the evening was spent furiously painted and he emerged, chequered and festooned with a Spade, I will do them with clubs, hearts, diamonds also.

His skin is a little orange in the pic, which it doesn't look in real life, just late night photography under my lightbulbs i'm afraid. Great expression on this model, a little scared, a little swagger, good model.

Orlock Juve with Stub Gun

Xintao25 May 2013 8:56 p.m. PST

Great stuff, how about some group shots?

deflatermouse04 Jun 2013 8:56 p.m. PST

My Orlock gang vowed if they ever won a game they would disband. For over a year they battled, fought and died, lost territory,provided target practise for the opponents, suffered plagues and turned squellers to the Arbites (only to be nearly outlawed).

They finally won against a Chaos Cultist outlaw gang but vaporising their leader and deacon with a plasma shot.

But they were cool in their The Crow make-up.
The Juves wore make-up based on a mix of the Crow and the Furies from the 1979 movie the Wariors.

picture

Zoring05 Jun 2013 2:09 a.m. PST

Group shot coming soon :)

The warriors has a lot of cool stuff actually I should watch it again. I love how Necromunda produces these stories. Do you have any pics of your gang?

Continuing on with the Redemptionists, two more fanatics, including the Priest with the melta gun, hot stuff. Both pretty decent sculpts the Priest in particular being another standout in the Necro range.

Some sort of impractical weapon wielding maniac will be next!

Brethren with Autogun and Redemptor Priest with Meltagun

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP06 Jun 2013 12:48 p.m. PST

I missed this thread earlier, so thanks for continuing it. The minis are just beautiful and your "box of wonder/horror" made me extremely jealous! My box of unpainted Necromunda is considerably smaller.

Zoring07 Jun 2013 7:11 a.m. PST

Not a worry ordinarybass! Thank you very much, the box is empty now and the miniatures are about 75% cleaned up and glued to their bases, working on getting the rest of them done right now.

Vroom vroom! The sound of a chainsaw wielding maniac reverberates through the hive! Run girls with easily twistable ankles! Very fun model this one, totally impractical weapon in the extreme, without looking awful, hard line to tread! The paint was still not totally dry on his base you can see there :P

Redemptionist Zealot with Eviscerator

firstvarty197907 Jun 2013 11:52 a.m. PST

It sounds like the Cawdor gang I ran many years ago (in the campaign I organized) and deflatermouse's Orlocks had a lot in common!

MaxieTPB Inactive Member18 Jun 2013 7:07 a.m. PST

They are all looking great, Zoring. :) I'm loving the industrial stripes, checkered bandannas, and the highlighting you do, for example on the Eviscerator Zealot's robes.

Inspirational!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.