Help support TMP

"Feathered Dinosaurs " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

473 hits since 10 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 12:48 p.m. PST

"A dramatic depiction of all the known groups of dinosaurs that bore feathers."

wildlifeartist.com.au

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo Coily the Spring Sprite Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 1:37 p.m. PST

How do they know they had feathers? I've seen the skin impressions at the American Museum of Natural History, and see no feathers. I'm not saying they're wrong; I just would like to know.

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 6:48 p.m. PST

Just recently they made some discovery that not only indicated the presence of tiny (microscopic) pre-feathers in fossilized dinosaurs, but it could also determine their color, and a lot of them were brightly colored. I can't recall the details or where I heard it. So the thinking now is not that feathers developed to assist in flight, but rather they developed for much the same reason as they exist today, for attracting mates. And as a side-benefit it turned out that as feathers evolved they were pretty useful for gliding and eventually flying to.

I'm going to have to dig that article up. If I find it I'll post it here or PM it to you guys.

Double W10 Nov 2012 9:06 p.m. PST

Not all dinosaurs had feathers. We have skinn impressions of scaly dinosaurs. However, we also have feather impressions, meaning some dinosaurs had feathers and some didn't.

Lovejoy11 Nov 2012 11:00 a.m. PST

How do they know they had feathers? I've seen the skin impressions at the American Museum of Natural History, and see no feathers. I'm not saying they're wrong; I just would like to know.

There's been a lot of feathered dinos showing up in China in the last 15 years; there's a deposit which has lots of fine grained volcanic ash, which preserves soft tissue detail well.

Here's an couple of examples, a Microraptor and a Sinornithosaurus:

picture

picture

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Nov 2012 5:17 p.m. PST

Here we go. I was able to locate the articles I referred to in my earlier post.

link

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP11 Nov 2012 10:06 p.m. PST

Thanks for the references Toshach!.

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.