Help support TMP

"2nd Nassau-Usingen Regiment & Volunteer Jager " Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Historical Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

895 hits since 6 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

trailape Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 2:33 a.m. PST

Hi Guys
I finally got around to adding a Flag to my 2nd Nassau-Usingen Regiment that my good friend 'Gunner Dunbar' painted for me a few months ago.
link
They are the excellent PERRY MINIATURES and I think you'll agree they are excellent sculpts.

I've also uploaded some photos of a Nassau Volunteer Jager company

Comments are welcomed.
Cheers
trailape.blogspot.com.au

Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 3:51 a.m. PST

Good work! I notice that, as a lot of people seem to do, that the standard is in the back rank and the drummer in front. In reality, it was just about always the other way around with the flag leading and the drummers clumped behind the unit. I'm just saying…..

bluewillow06 Nov 2012 4:36 a.m. PST

lovely work by Dan on those!

cheers
matt

Marcus Maximus06 Nov 2012 4:39 a.m. PST

Fantastic painting Dan, and interesting poses too, inspiring.

Ashenduke06 Nov 2012 6:08 a.m. PST

They look great. Really like that grenadier company. Nice work work on all the belts and in particular the officers sash.

Joe Fish Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 7:24 a.m. PST

Great job on some wonderful figures!

trailape Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 12:33 p.m. PST

In reality, it was just about always the other way around with the flag leading and the drummers clumped behind the unit. I'm just saying…..

But not always.
:o)
Also worth considering is that my 'battalion' is 24 miniatures strong, so 'scale' wise you will always have these issues. Furthermore once the Cannon balls and shot starts flying it's not inconcievable that the Colour should end up a few paces back.
I like having the drummer up front. If that much work is put in on the musician I don't want him stuck in the back.
Infantry carry Colours, Heavy Cavalry carry Standards, Light cavalry carry Guidons.
;o)
Cheers
Thanks for you comments.

Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 2:42 p.m. PST

Trailape, I used the term 'flag' as a catchall as what they were called throughout Europe varied (fahne-flag, etendard-standard). In the end you should do what looks best, but I always feel that the colours would be to the fore to inspire and act as a marker for a units' manoeuvers. Just a thought….

trailape Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 4:18 p.m. PST

Trailape, I used the term 'flag' as a catchall as what they were called throughout Europe varied (fahne-flag, etendard-standard).

Yep. Ditto. Most punters wouldn't know the difference between a Colour, Banner or Standard so I also will usually just say 'Flag'.

In the end you should do what looks best, but I always feel that the colours would be to the fore to inspire and act as a marker for a units' manoeuvers. Just a thought….

Agreed.
In the 2nd rank is pretty close to the 1st.
The only thing I'm particular about is it be as near to center as possible to aid in 'Dressing'.
;o)
Many thanks for your comments. All good food for thought.
Cheers

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 10:45 a.m. PST

Hello, Trailape:

Eacb figure in these battalions represents perhaps 30 soldiers. The figure with the colour has 1 man with the colour, 29 other combat soldiers. Putting him in the back rank has always been my preference. In French units, when I have information on the sergeants assigned as 2nd and 3rd Eagle bearer, I use them to represent all the NCO's of the unit, but flnking the Eagle. Proportionately, one drummer figure would represent the 12 of a French battalion, plus some combat soldiers. I put the drummer next to the colour party. If I know what the sapeur looked like, he might be on the other side, all in the back rank.

You also do less damage to the flag itself in the back rank. It does not rub against figures in the back as it might when in the front.

trailape Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 12:53 p.m. PST

Hi GdP.
My thoughts exactly.
Cheers

Gunner Dunbar Supporting Member of TMP11 Nov 2012 11:59 p.m. PST

Looking good Scott, very nice basing.

trailape Supporting Member of TMP12 Nov 2012 2:14 a.m. PST

Thanks Danl.
I've just finished basing some Dutch Belgian Artillery and Casualties.
I'll upload some photos in a day or so.
Cheers

Murvihill12 Nov 2012 5:54 a.m. PST

But if you put a flag that's leaning forward in the second rank it will take less damage then if the flag sticks over the edge of the stand. Samesame for putting the flag in the front rank if it projects backwards from the bearer.

Sometimes you have to remember that these are wargaming figures, not dioramas…

Oh, GdP beat me to it.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.