Help support TMP

"First Game of X-Wing!" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

515 hits since 4 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 5:12 p.m. PST

Okay, I have played my first game of X-Wing! It was fun, but didn't quite go the way we expected. We just used the basic game kit: 2 TIE Fighters against a single X-Wing. We followed the rulebook suggestion of having 31 points on a side. My friend, Eric, took the 2 TIE Fighters and selected "Dark Curse" and Night Beast" as his two pilots, totaling 31. The only way I could figure out how to make 31 was to take a Red Squadron pilot and give him proton torpedoes and R2D2.

So we set up the models and went at it. No objectives and no terrain. Just try to kill the other guy. We figured it would be a short game. Wrong! I salvoed off my torpedoes as soon as I had a target in range (as all the advice I'd heard on another forum suggested). But I rolled badly and did nothing. Eric then did me the favor of splitting up his TIEs and they never managed to coordinate their actions again after that.

So then we swirled around each other for the next two hours, doing basically nothing. I couldn't roll very well and only managed to put 1 hit on each of the TIEs. Eric scored single hits regularly, knocking down a shield token. And then in my next turn I did a green maneuver and R2D2 fixed the shield :) I took enough hits to be killed about three times, but always on my shields.

Eventually my luck turned and I destroyed one TIE and shortly afterward killed the second one.

So, it had not been a short game, but we still had fun and we will certainly play some more. I've already gotten some more ships and Eric plans to buy the starter box. Clearly the main lesson we learned is Concentration of Force. Single fighters duking it out are going to have trouble doing damage--especially against ships with shields. You need to gang up. And the Imperials can be especially glad there is only one R2D2! If the Rebels could have one of them on each ship, they'd be invincible :)

wminsing Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 5:20 p.m. PST

Wow, that is a LONG game- I don't think that I've had a starter set game last more than 30 minutes! Glad you still have a good time!

-Will

Anthon04 Nov 2012 6:49 p.m. PST

After reading all the posts on this game I decided to cave in and pick it up myself…got to say my 11 year old son and I had a blast. We played just the basic Luke against Night Beast and an Obsidian pilot, and it came down to my
x-wing limping home with shields gone and one hull point left. Took about half an hour, lots of maneuvering back and forth, trying to out guess the other pilot, game really came down to Luke having better skill and firing first, the force was with him, if he had missed he'd of been toast..Like the rules, really like the planning disk and maneuver templates,it keeps things quite simple. FFG just sold alot more ships to us at least…
Kind regards
Anthon

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.