Help support TMP

"X-Wing: Ion Turret ?" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

1,034 hits since 4 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

haywire Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 3:47 p.m. PST

Does the ION effect take place on any hit (shield or hull) or only on a hull hit?

We were going by the assumption of ANY hit, but wanted to make sure.

Personal logo marcus arilius Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 4:31 p.m. PST

If a ship is hit by an ion cannon, it takes 1 damage and an ion token. If a ship with shields is hit by an ion cannon, it takes 1 damage and an ion token, however 1 shield is removed by the 1 damage. The ion token is still placed and has its effect. link

Allen5704 Nov 2012 4:41 p.m. PST

Dont get it. What is the effect of an ion token?

Deathwing04 Nov 2012 4:53 p.m. PST

Means it can't really move that next turn and drifts. Make it easy to know where its going to be!

haywire Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 8:34 p.m. PST

Thanks Marcus Arilius!

Allen57
A ship that has been hit by an ION weapon must take a "move straight 1" on its next movement. It can still perform actions and shoot.

Ghostrunner12 Nov 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

We've been playing on the assumption that a ship that gets an ion token still gets to shoot the turn is gets the token – it seems clear that it gets to shoot normally the next turn (after it does the straight 1 move).

Any reason to think this is incorrect?

Mako11 In the TMP Dawghouse13 Nov 2012 2:16 p.m. PST

Don't know officially, but seems to me that if a hit can disable/fry the engines and flight controls, it would knock out the weaponry too.

Would certainly make for an interesting house rule, if that's not the way it really works in the game.

haywire Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2012 6:22 p.m. PST

It can still shoot and spend actions normally. Only its movement is effected.

DoubleNot7 Inactive Member13 Dec 2012 7:02 a.m. PST

According to what I have read over at FFG a hit from an Ion is negated by a shield, only an actual hull hit scores the ion effect. No matter how many hits you score, only one hit is scored the rest are discarded.

Ghostrunner13 Dec 2012 7:44 a.m. PST

Nothing I've seen in the rules or on the boards convinces me that shields can stop the ion effect.

Ion token is placed if a 'hit' is scored.

Taking down a shield is still a 'hit'.

Xintao Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2012 10:52 a.m. PST

It would be good to get a final answer on this. It would be a vast improvement on the Ion Cannon, if you only needed a hit, ignoring shields.

Till I hear otherwise, my reading of the rules is, shields DO count to block the ion cannon.

Xin

Clay the Elitist Inactive Member13 Dec 2012 12:12 p.m. PST

What answer? You hit the target, it gets an ion token. Why the confusion?

Ghostrunner13 Dec 2012 2:26 p.m. PST

Page 12 of the rulebook:

If there is at least one uncanceled [explosion] or [hollow explosion] result remaining, the defender is considered hit

Ion Cannon Turret card:

If this attack hits the target ship, the ship suffers 1 damage and receives 1 ion token. Then cancel all dice results.

---

The damage is not specific to shields or hull. The ion token is placed as a result of the hit, not the effects of the damage.

Therefore => barring some ruling from the game designers themselves:

Shields do not block Ion Tokens

Personal logo Dom Skelton Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Dec 2012 4:11 a.m. PST

Agreed entirely – in terms of Star Wars background fluff possibly they *ought* to, but there's definitely nothing in the rules that says shields negate the ion cannon's extra effects.

JeremyR14 Dec 2012 5:53 a.m. PST

"It would be good to get a final answer on this. It would be a vast improvement on the Ion Cannon, if you only needed a hit, ignoring shields.

Till I hear otherwise, my reading of the rules is, shields DO count to block the ion cannon."

Well you can certainly play the game however you would like in your own play group, but if you treat ion cannons in this manner you would be going against the rules. Ion cannon hits give a ship an ion token whether it has shields or not. Where in the rules does it say otherwise?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.