Help support TMP

"Space Marine scale" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

961 hits since 2 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Tacitus Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2012 9:15 a.m. PST

I'm using GW Space Marines in a different ruleset (still skirmish and keeping a lot of the fluff). The scenario includes mostly Imperial Guard with just a few Space Marines backing them up. Since space marines are genetically altered behemoths, GW Imperial Guard miniatures don't look underwhelming enough next to them. How would 20mm miniatures painted up as Imperial Guard look next to GW Space Marines? Too small, about right? Suggestions? Thanks!

haywire Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2012 9:33 a.m. PST

25mm should look more appropriate.

If you are feeling adventurous, there is a way to bulk up your space marines with 1mm inserts to the lower leg and torso to make space marines a little taller.

Wolfprophet02 Nov 2012 9:45 a.m. PST

Yes, you want 25s if you want to make them look much bigger. Non-heroic 28mm figures will also work, but will not make them look like armoured behemoths, just more heavily armoured. Most of the marine's size as we know it is armor bulk anyways.

20mm figures would be better used for giants or super humans and the like against 15mm figures.

Jovian1 Inactive Member02 Nov 2012 11:05 a.m. PST

True 25mm scale figures give you the proper feel for the size of the Space Marine in full armor. I agree with haywire and Wolfprophet (did that just come out of my mouth?). 20mm figures are a bit small – to way too small – when compared with a Space Marine figure. They are supposed to stand about 8' +/- in full armor, and an average human is between 5'8" and 5'10" – so substantially bigger, but not so much bigger that they look like giants. I had a photo of one next to various other models at one point, but I don't know where it is and it isn't on this computer.

Personal logo McWong73 Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2012 2:48 p.m. PST

I'm not sure if it would work, but Caesar does modern US that are sold as 1/72 and are very close to 25mm, maybe buy a box and see if that works. I've owned them in the past and they are good sculpts.

WJAL2103 Nov 2012 3:10 a.m. PST

GZG do a good range of true 25mm figures. GW marines do look massive next to them. Not sure where but I have seen comparison shots online.

freecloud03 Nov 2012 5:44 a.m. PST

Use older 25mms eg Minifigs, or even smallr 28mm, and base on lower bases (I compared a WW1 French unit on 2p pieces with my SM on their 5mm bases, they tower over the Poilu)

Legion 403 Nov 2012 8:49 a.m. PST

This video may be informative link

picture

Wolfprophet03 Nov 2012 9:13 p.m. PST

20mm figures are a bit small to way too small when compared with a Space Marine figure. They are supposed to stand about 8' +/- in full armor, and an average human is between 5'8" and 5'10" so substantially bigger, but not so much bigger that they look like giants. I had a photo of one next to various other models at one point, but I don't know where it is and it isn't on this computer.

Note, I said the following on 20mm figures:

20mm figures would be better used for giants or super humans and the like against 15mm figures.

I own well over a thousand 15mm figures, mostly sci-fi, from every company under the sun currently in business. grin And own about a 100 Space Marines too. Have used some 20mm figures alongside the 15mm figures to represent "taller" humanoid races. You know, blue skinned people on stilts instead or rubbersuit aliens. :D Still have yet to pit 28s vs. 15s though…..should really do that some day!

AWuuuu04 Nov 2012 8:08 a.m. PST

You might try and convert space marines to be true scale to other GW miniatures, that is not that difficult as it seams, and if you use few marines and lots of guard it could be a better option:

picture

here is mine
He is made from terminator legs with green stuffed to look more or less smooth and round, normal marine body with greenstuff inside to make it more bulky and terminator shoulder pads made to looks like normal ones with stripes of plasticard rest is standard plastic bits from marine sprue.

It take some time but its really quite easy conversion to make.

billthecat05 Nov 2012 9:57 a.m. PST

GW marines have always been too small in comparison to their more lightly armored models (imperial gaurd, eldar, etc…) I don't like the '8 foot tall uberheroes' fluff, but power armor should add some bulk/size to a miniature in comparison to another of the same species NOT wearing power armor, etc…etc…
As an aside, GW orks were not always 8 foot tall uberhulks either…
But yeah, 25mm …

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.