Help support TMP

"FOG2 Book Version release? " Topic

28 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

1,254 hits since 30 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Madmike130 Oct 2012 1:22 a.m. PST

Anyone know when we can order the book version?

martinwilliams Inactive Member30 Oct 2012 3:58 a.m. PST

They (on the Slitherine forum) said November. No more detail has been provided.

Martin

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2012 1:11 p.m. PST

Late November seems to be the latest estimate. They have also implied that it will be very expensive.

mbsparta30 Oct 2012 3:44 p.m. PST

I have not seen the "very expensive" implication.

I doubt it will be cheap … but we should wait and see.

Mike B

mbsparta30 Oct 2012 4:01 p.m. PST

Oooops … I checked and they did indeed say that it would be very expensive. Sorry …

Mike B

Twilight Samurai30 Oct 2012 6:02 p.m. PST

More expensive than the first edition? Why?

Madmike130 Oct 2012 9:37 p.m. PST

Considering the changes are more v1.1 than v2 its annoying they didnt just put out a cheap PDF that advised what pages of the original book to change.

Anyway, I will pay 'very expensive' for the book version as the ebook is a non starter for me.

Keraunos Inactive Member31 Oct 2012 3:15 a.m. PST

I take it you missed the storm of protest when they said they were not planning on a print run, and wanted to just go cheap download….

Vespasian2831 Oct 2012 4:44 a.m. PST

No idea about the economics of "Print on demand" but in the world of publishing the smaller the print run the more expensive the book. So POD seems like the smallest print run possible.

Nikator Inactive Member31 Oct 2012 9:31 a.m. PST

…so when can I send in my demand? Any word?

tekhammer Inactive Member31 Oct 2012 6:37 p.m. PST

I had the misfortune of looking at a friend's version of the FoG e-reader. I've been using computers for 30 years and I needed a tutorial on how to turn pages and find the index. So I would say they have completely and utterly failed.

They should have released an ebook, not a proprietary reader.

Muzzlehead Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member04 Nov 2012 9:43 a.m. PST

I have seen the e-version and it is poorly implemented.

I am waiting for a printed version.

The Young Guard Supporting Member of TMP28 Nov 2012 9:18 a.m. PST

They have clearly stuffed up on this.

Had they made a printable PDF version and an e reader, I think most people would have been happy!

I understand the copywrite implications none of this make sense. Had they read WW&S article of 2nd editions they might of save a lot of time and money.

Vespasian2829 Nov 2012 3:45 p.m. PST

Latest information is that although it is POD they are doing large batches to keep the cost, to us, down. Price "comparable to the first edition" which is good news and available to pre-order this week they hope and in our hands in time for Christmas.

Guthroth30 Nov 2012 9:54 a.m. PST

If a hardback version had been available at Warfare, I would have paid up on the spot.

POD, batch orders, I really don't know if I can be bothered.

V2 has been a total F U B A R from the start.

shadoe0130 Nov 2012 12:18 p.m. PST

"POD, batch orders, I really don't know if I can be bothered."

You don't have to be bothered with POD batch orders. The book will be available directly from Slitherine. They will request the POD batch orders depending on demand. You place your order with Slitherine and then they send you your book. That's your only bother.

Vespasian2806 Dec 2012 2:27 p.m. PST

Now available for pre-order on the Slitherine site.

RudyNelson08 Dec 2012 12:31 p.m. PST

Yep I got a notice from both Slitherine and the owner that they are available in a limited run supple. The main print run availablity will not be available until late Jan 2013.

infinite array Inactive Member13 Dec 2012 6:44 p.m. PST

So, as a general question to anyone whose picked up the e-book book and has played around with v2 of the rules, are they a significant enough of a clean-up to warrant picking up the new book? I'm still looking around for a good set of rules to try some 2nd Punic Wars in 15mm.

Personal logo listlurker Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2012 10:42 a.m. PST

The rules are bugfixed. All good stuff, but nothing really dynamic and new…

Its a better game but worth the £30.00 GBP for hardcopy? >:-|

Still bought it.. even after buying the crappy(unusuable) Ipad version .. more fool me! :-)

monger Inactive Member15 Dec 2012 9:16 a.m. PST

sad. I know some fellow gamers who have given up on FOG altogether bvecause of all this e-version, expensive book stuff. Went back to DBMM. Oh well :(

Madmike116 Dec 2012 10:08 p.m. PST

Just order my copy!!

Dexter Ward17 Dec 2012 7:28 a.m. PST

Nothing wrong with going back to DBMM – that is also a very good set of rules.
FOG v2 mainly fixes a few loopholes which tournament players had been exploiting, and stops some rather gamey tactics which had evolved (such as the 'swarm' armies).

The Young Guard Supporting Member of TMP17 Dec 2012 9:05 a.m. PST

So if you don't play tournaments is it worth it? My Monthly allowance could be used on two other rule sets that are catching my eye atm!

lou cardinale Inactive Member17 Dec 2012 9:34 a.m. PST

I'm one of those guys who went back to DBMM 2. However, I will still buy FoG 2, as I like that game as well.

Dexter Ward18 Dec 2012 4:17 a.m. PST

If you don't play tournaments, and you are happy with Fog v1, why buy the new version?
The only reasons to buy v2 would be:
1. You play tournaments, which will be using v2
2. You are unhappy with things in v1 which v2 fixes (over-powered skirmishers, swarm armies, Romans making mincemeat of Gauls too easily)
But FoG v1 is a perfectly good set of rules…..

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2012 12:48 p.m. PST

3. You don't already have FOG v1 and want to play an excellent set of ancients rules.

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2012 12:51 p.m. PST

So if you don't play tournaments is it worth it? My Monthly allowance could be used on two other rule sets that are catching my eye atm!

You could probably just agree within your group to play V1 with the main V2 changes (which you can find a list of on the Slitherine forum). Obviously you won't have the exact wording, but for most of the changes that won't matter. For example :
Elephants get three dice at impact
Armoured knights move 5MU
Can both be very easily pencilled into your rules and implemented.

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2012 12:52 p.m. PST

sad. I know some fellow gamers who have given up on FOG altogether bvecause of all this e-version, expensive book stuff. Went back to DBMM.

Seems a rather silly thing to do if they were enjoying playing Fog v1.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.