Help support TMP

"Age Of The Hobbits???" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Media Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

Back to the Pulp Gaming Message Board

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

1,504 hits since 29 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 10:59 a.m. PST

link

Oh geez.

Dan
TMP link
link

billthecat Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 11:03 a.m. PST

Words fail me…

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 11:05 a.m. PST

Brace for lawsuit…

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 11:09 a.m. PST

I don't think this is lawsuit material. It is about a tribe that has been nicknamed the Hobbits due to their stature…. I seem to remember some Yahoo story about the natives a few years back?

CPBelt Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 11:18 a.m. PST

But IIRC hobbit is trademarked.

Chocolate Fezian Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 11:29 a.m. PST

"But IIRC hobbit is trademarked."

But IIRC it's not

The only source known today that makes reference to hobbits in any sort of historical context is the Denham Tracts by Michael Aislabie Denham. More specifically, it appears in the Denham Tracts, edited by James Hardy, (London: Folklore Society, 1895), vol. 2, the second part of a two-volume set compiled from Denham's publications between 1846 and 1859.

The text contains a long list of sprites and bogies, based on an older list, the Discovery of Witchcraft, dated 1584, with many additions and a few repetitions. The term hobbit is listed in the context of "boggleboes, bogies, redmen, portunes, grants, hobbits, hobgoblins, brown-men, cowies, dunnies".

In the December 2003 Oxford English Dictionary newsletter, the following appears:[5]

"4. hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien modestly claimed not to have coined this word, although the Supplement to the OED credited him with the invention of it in the absence of further evidence. It seems, however, that Tolkien was right to be cautious. It has since turned up in one of those 19th-century folklore journals, in a list of long-forgotten words for fairy-folk or little people. It seems likely that Tolkien, with his interest in folklore, read this and subconsciously registered the name, reviving it many years later in his most famous character. [Editor's note: although revision of the OED's entry for hobbit will of course take this evidence for earlier use into account, it does not yet appear in the online version of the entry.]"

link

teenage visigoth Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 11:31 a.m. PST

sweet

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 11:38 a.m. PST

Well, it's good to know that Bai Ling has found steady work

I have to agree about the trademark issues – words like "hobbit", "orc' and "elf" have so much public domain use trademark means nothing

Rassilon Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

Shame on Christopher Judge…

Desert Rat29 Oct 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

I didn't realise the Stargate SG-1 money was running out for Teal'c!

Patrice Inactive Member29 Oct 2012 12:26 p.m. PST

Old hobbits die hard.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 12:40 p.m. PST

LOL!!!

Dan

DLIinVSF29 Oct 2012 12:59 p.m. PST

I was under the impression JRR took Orc from the old term for the Normans.Being an A-S scholar he blamed the Normans (rightly as it happens) for the loss of a large part of A-S culture.

Surely there are alot of terms out there which can't really stand up as copyright?A case of low brow internet entries and dumbed down dictionaries?But can some small company afford to fight a big company seeing how long these cases can take?

Can't say I'd look forward to watching the movie myself,looks dreadful.

Patrick R29 Oct 2012 1:00 p.m. PST

Hobbit is trademarked like Apple is trademarked. It pertains to a series of well known fantasy books like Apple pertains to a bunch of electronic items starting with the letter "i"

Either the Tolkien estate or the Saul Zaentz thugs will go after the makers for using that title. Remember that TSR had to take out Hobbit from D&D ? If it isn't trademarked, they could have just thumbed their nose at Tolkien's lawyers and left it in.

Personal logo The Beast Rampant Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 1:13 p.m. PST

Why did they feel it necessary to bolt "Hobbit" onto the title? Effectively riding coattails, this is not.

I prefer to think of Bai Ling as having fled the solar system immediately after "The Crow".

Tgunner29 Oct 2012 2:06 p.m. PST

Why did they feel it necessary to bolt "Hobbit" onto the title? Effectively riding coattails, this is not.

I could be wrong but I think this is the reason for them using "hobbit":

link

The bad guys are called "Java Men", most of the people look Asiatic, and so on. So I'm guessing that they are crossing Tolkien with these people to create a story of their own.

It's still a mockbuster though. And yes, shame on Christopher Judge! But on the other hand work is work these days.

Oh, and the law suit stuff has already began:

link

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 3:16 p.m. PST

Boy. Lobellia is lookin' gooood.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 4:40 p.m. PST

I am sure it will be as awful as it looks.

cooey2ph Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 4:45 p.m. PST

Aaargh. Double aaargh. Bai Ling:((

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 4:51 p.m. PST

"In their quest to destroy the Javas, the heroic partnership of humans and Hobbits will transform both species forever."

Probably open up relations with all those little people.

Now Cpt Jake can provide the Midget pic's.

Inkpaduta Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2012 10:01 a.m. PST

Wow, they have a kick ass hot babe warrior…how unusual.

John M W30 Oct 2012 11:33 a.m. PST

Wouldn't Jawas be a more appropriate antagonist to the Hobbits than "Javas"? ;^)

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2012 1:20 p.m. PST

Hobbits vs Jawas??? I'd pay good money to see that!

Dan

Personal logo StarfuryXL5 Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2012 10:47 p.m. PST

What rules would you use?

Personal logo StarfuryXL5 Supporting Member of TMP30 Oct 2012 10:55 p.m. PST

Oh, look, there's a Java Warrior Balgog.

I see it's from The Asylum. That explains it all.

(For those who don't know of the Asylum, find out here.)

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP31 Oct 2012 7:20 a.m. PST

I guess they'll have to change the movie title now:

link

Dan

Personal logo StarfuryXL5 Supporting Member of TMP31 Oct 2012 9:10 p.m. PST

They had to do a title change on their knock-off of "Battleship", too.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.