Help support TMP

"Help with a football-themed trivia game?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

395 hits since 25 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

JCBJCB25 Oct 2012 6:43 p.m. PST

I could use some help with an (American) football-themed trivia game, where the ball is advanced and defended by contestants answering trivia questions. The game is held in a prison setting, for men who are going through a therapy program, so our ability to take a lot of materials in is a little limited. I have some leeway with the administration, though.

Here are some basic parameters: Each team will have one offensive drive per quarter. We have about 60 minutes to play the game before we have to pack up and leave the facility, so the rules will have to be easy to explain, and the game must be reasonably fast-flowing. The only "penalties" are for illegal participation (giving an answer to a teammate), unsportsmanlike conduct (be nice, fellas) and delay of game (if on offense)/defensive holding (if one defense for waiting too long to answer.

I have a plentiful supply of trivia questions that I've amassed, with four levels of difficulty.

Any ideas on how the "ball" might be advanced and defended?

My original thought was to allow the offense to run for five yards, run the option for ten, throw a pass for 20 or heave a Hail Mary for fifty – the difficulty of question rises with the yardage.

The defense could defend in a similar way, and I would simply subtract defensive yardage from offensive. That doesn't seem right, though.

Any ideas?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Oct 2012 8:20 p.m. PST

Could you do this….

Rate the difficulty of each question from, say, 1-5. Then offense calls a play and defense calls a play. If the offense gets the question right add that number of yards to the play. If the defense also gets it right subtract.

Then, have 5 offensive plays and 5 defensive and a matrix for bonus yards based on the plays called. So a run up the middle loses two yards against "Rub Blitz."

All you'd need is paper. Cards for each "play" to be chosen, cards for the questions and a football field and paper football.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP25 Oct 2012 10:18 p.m. PST

NFL Gamebreaker does exactly what you describe, though the trivia questions are all about the NFL (up to 2007, unless they've released an update). Clever game which does a surprisingly good job of mixing football strategy with trivia.

link

JCBJCB25 Oct 2012 10:29 p.m. PST

Unfortunately, the game is Tuesday evening, and I won't have time to find and purchase NFL Gamebreaker.

I'm noodling on that, Extra Crispy.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm desperate.

JCBJCB25 Oct 2012 10:31 p.m. PST

Unfortunately, the game is Tuesday evening, and I won't have time to find and purchase NFL Gamebreaker. I'll try to piece together a good picture of the game from what I see on boardgamegeek, though. Good spot!

I'm noodling on that, Extra Crispy.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm desperate.

JCBJCB26 Oct 2012 10:12 a.m. PST

Parzival, I found the instructions to that game on eHow. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.