Help support TMP

"My Fantasy Campaign System for HOTT/Song of Blades & Heroes" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Song of Blades and Heroes Message Board

Back to the DBx Message Board

751 hits since 24 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP24 Oct 2012 6:37 p.m. PST

Blog post here: link
Campaign System 1.0, & Updates
I have been planning this campaign for quite some time, with only a few campaign games being played thus far, and those only involving greenskins. The reason for this "blockage" is that I failed to heed sage old advice about starting a campaign small. I hit the mark with my orc wars but couldn't find where I really wanted to seriously begin. Anyway, I thought I would write down my thought process on the campaign system. Currently I am leaning towards launching the campaign around a single character who adventures forth to claim or re-claim a throne for himself.

If playing in the badlands, you are free to conquer where you wish, if in any of the western realms you must obtain your lord's permission to attack your neighbor. To garner your lord's favor for your campaign against your foe, roll 1d6, on a 5+ it is granted. For 100g you can add +1 to your die roll result.

CY = Campaign Year = 24 turns.

Money
Gold Crowns
Silver Crowns(100 Silver = 1 Gold)
Copper Crowns(100 copper = 1 Silver)

Army Maintenance Cost Per CY
1 Soldier, 1g
1 Rider, 2g
1 Knight, 3g
1 Noble, 4g
1 Mage, 5g

Warband Maintenance Cost Per CY
1g per 100 points.

Assumptions, skirmishers are 1:1, army element cost is abstract and based on the number of figures per base, so an element of 3Kn would cost 9g. An element of 3Sh would cost 3g.

Fortifications, Special Items and Weapons Cost
Tower, 10g
Fort, 25g
Castle, 100g
Mine, 15g
Mill, 10g
Granary, 10g
Harbor, 25g

Tax Income Per CY
1 Village, 1g
1 Town, 5g
1 City, 10g
Major City, 25g

The tax rate can be doubled however, when you do this people will leave for new lands where the local lord has a more firm grasp on economic reality. Emigration occurs at the rate of 1 municipality downgrade per CY. So a village that has it's tax doubled will disappear at the end of the current CY. A town will downgrade to a village, and a city will become a town.

If you fail to protect your people from enemy or monster raids, they will leave. Emigration will occur if any municipality is raided twice in a CY. Downgrade one level by the end of the CY. The punitive effects of a raid can be offset by an expedition to reclaim stolen goods and kidnapped folk.

Municipalities can be upgraded by towers, forts and castles. Any village that receives a tower will upgrade to a town by the end of the CY. If a fort is placed that village will upgrade to a city at the end of 2CY. If a Castle then in 4CY the village will have grown into a major city. Also any town that receives a fort will upgrade to a city at the end of the CY. Any city that receives a castle will upgrade to a major city at the end of the CY. If any settlement loses it's castle, fort or tower, it will downgrade one level at the end of the CY.

Other Income Sources
Dungeoncrawling, per the adventure. (Leading your brave warband on a delve below.)
Defeating enemy warband, 1d20s per enemy killed. (Loot, ransom and slaves.)
Defeating enemy army, 1d6g per element destroyed. (Loot, ransom and slaves.)
Conquering an new territory, 1d6g per village, 2d6g per town, 3d6 per city, 4d6g per major city.
Gold Mine, 2d20g per CY
Silver Mine, 3d6g per CY
Copper Mine, 2d6g per CY
Gem Mine, 2d6g per CY
Other Mine, 1d6g per CY
Lumber Mill, 1d6g per CY
Granary, 1d6g per CY
Mithril Mine, 2d20g per CY
Sea Harbor, 2d6 per CY
Lake Harbor, 1d3g per CY

Sacked & Harried (This action destroys the municipality.)
Village, 2d6g
Town, 3d6g
City, 4d6g
Major City, 6d6g

Claiming New Territory (After Generating)
If entering an undefended territory roll, 1d6, if the roll is a 1 the populace will rise up united against you. Fight and win either a skirmish or mass battle to gain control. Small territories will not fight your army head to head, they know they can't win. You must fight a skirmish battle with your designated skirmish troops. Skirmishing is the only way to defeat them. Determining battle type will depend on the territorial population. Use chart below.

Territorial Municipalities
No cities, and less than 3 towns, then skirmish, else mass battle.

Territorial Warband Composition
1d6 Warriors for each municipality, and 1d3 archers.

So a territory with 4 villages and 1 town, roll 5d6 (result 16) and 1d3 (result 3) would have 16 warriors and 3 archers in it's warband. Designate 1 warrior model to be the leader.

Territorial Army Element Composition
If 3 towns and no cities then the army will comprise: 1d6+1 Hordes, 1d6 Riders, and 1d3 Shooters.
If 3 towns and 1 or more cities then: 1d6+1 Hordes, 1d6 Riders, 1d6 Shooters, and 1d6 Spears.

Territory Generation
Prior to battle, when your army enters a new territory or you send your scouts to reconnoiter generate the territory as follows.

Scouts Reveal (Always roll for villages first.)
Villages: 1d6 (If 2 or less then no civilized human population, roll for monster tribes.)
Towns: 1d3
Cities: 1d6, roll 5+ for a city.

Monster Tribes (Roll 1d6)
1. Orcs & Goblins (1d6 tribes)
2. Lizardmen (1d6 tribes)
3. Beastmen (1d6 herds)
4. Ratmen (1d6 clans)
5. Barbarians (1d6 tribes)
6. Chaos/Evil/Bandits (1d6 warbands)

Forest, Mines, and other Resources (Roll 1d6 3x on this table)
1. Fertile Fields
2. Immense Forests
3. Lakes and Ponds
4. Dungeon
5. Other Mines
6. Precious Metals/Stones Mine

If 5 or 6 roll to see what type of mine.

Other Mines (add their bonus to the standard income roll.)
1. Lead
2. Tin +1g per CY
3. Brass +2g per CY
4+ Iron +3g per CY

Precious Metals/Stones Mine(add their bonus to the standard income roll.)
1. Minor Gem, +1g per CY
2. Copper, +2g per CY
3. Silver, +3g per CY
4. Valued Gem, +4g per CY
5. Mithril, +5g per CY
6. Gold, +10g per CY

Enemy/Monster Raids
At the start of each CY, roll 1d6 for each territory you control. On a roll of 1, that territory has an raiding warband present and will shortly begin to plunder and pillage. If a territory is raided roll to see who the enemy is, how big their force is and where they will attack first.

Enemy/Monster Raiders

1. Orcs & Goblins
2. Lizardmen
3. Beastmen
4. Ratmen
5. Barbarians
6. Chaos/Evil/Bandits

Enemy Force Size: Roll 1d6, if a 5+ then the enemy force is substantial, muster your army, if 4 or less than send out your patrols to deal with them. (Mass battle or skirmish battle.)

Attacked Village: Bad guys will always attack the weak first. Start with any village and roll 1d6, if 4+ then that is where the first attack begins. If the village has a newly built tower, it can hold off the attackers each turn that it rolls a 4+ while awaiting rescue by your forces. If no village, then you have 1d3 turns to arrive, if the village is beyond your reach it will be sacked and the enemy force will grow stronger. (+1d6 warriors if skirmish, +1 element if mass force.)

Campaign Movement: It takes 1 turn to move through any friendly territory, 2 turns to move through neutral territory and 3 turns to move through hostile territory if not attacked.

Betrayal
Whether you lead your army in the field or from your castle there will always be someone who covets your throne and will attempt to steal it. At the start of each CY, roll 1d6, on a 1, you have been or are about to be betrayed. Assassination attempt, army or territory rebellion, which will it be, roll 1d3 to find out.

Betrayal Type
1. Assassination
Roll 1d6, on a 6 you are dead, either poisoned, shot or stabbed.

2. Army Revolt
Your trusted field commander has betrayed you and has roused parts of the army to follow him. Roll 1d6 for each element/soldier in your army, on a 4+ they turn against you and you must face them in battle with your loyal soldiers that remain. If you have more than 1 field army, roll 1d6 to decide which army group has betrayed you.

3. Territory Rebellion
A rebellious lord has betrayed your generosity and has proclaimed himself "Prince" in the lands that you graciously bestowed upon him. Any army elements/soldiers stationed there are loyal to the usurper and you must fight them and any other warbands/armies he can raise. See Territorial Warband/Element Composition. You also lose access to that territory's income for the duration of the rebellion, if put down in 6 turns or less you can gain the income upon victory, if not you gain half.

Campaign Character Creation
Roll 1d6 to determine your birth, wealth, and extra warband points. You begin with 300 character points to spend in the Warband Builder. You can also spend your starting gold to add extra points.

1. Son of a Peasant, +5 pts
2. Son of a Merchant. +1g, +10 pts
3. Son of a Knight. +1g, +20 pts
4. Son of a Baron. +2g, +30 pts
5. Son of a Duke. +4g, + 40 pts
6. Illegitimate son of the King. +5g, +50 pts

Wealth, roll 1d6 the result is how much gold you start the campaign with.

Henchmen, spend your starting warband points and/or gold to hire henchmen to join your warband. 1 gold crown equals 100 points in warband creation.

kokigami Supporting Member of TMP24 Oct 2012 9:17 p.m. PST

well, I have been thinking on doing something similar, but not to this extravagance. I am not sure of the point of things like three grades of fortifications.. I would assume they come into play in HOTT battles, more than SOBH battles, so, aren't they all really just strongholds?

Still, a noble effort.

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP24 Oct 2012 10:05 p.m. PST

3 grades of fortifications have nothing to do with either game system but merely a campaign mechanic.

timlillig Fezian26 Oct 2012 6:11 a.m. PST

Very nice. Thanks.

Crocus Inactive Member26 Oct 2012 4:16 p.m. PST

By the Goddess Wargamer 1972: a man after my own heart! Bravo!

I look forward to following your blog.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.