Help support TMP

"So.... what do YOU think of the new E-Version so far?" Topic

25 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

1,041 hits since 21 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

monger Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 9:49 a.m. PST

Got it the other day! (PC format). All I can say is, it's a great read (got the Roman list book as well in the new format). However… it is a SAD reader indeed! Very clunky, no bookmark feature, and for the older crowd, has a learning curve to get used to.

The rules look great, the format sux, tbh. If they are going to release an E-version, it SHOULD be top-notch!I also hear the ipad version has alot of flaws!

Funny… now it seems, after waiting soooo long for the release of v2, now we need to wait even longer for an UPDATE to the READER!

Happy with the rules… not so happy with this e-format at all.

Comments?

Personal logo Don Manser Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 10:02 a.m. PST

Thanks for the review. I was thinking of going with a reader for e-rules releases. I think I'll wait until they improve the final product.

I like the potential bookmark and searchable aspects of "e" rules compared to flipping through hard copy.

DM

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 10:12 a.m. PST

Reminds me of the Netflix stumble. Not all of us want to lug around a laptop/notebook PC. I don't have an IPad or similar device yet. I do happen to have a first gen. Kindle but I don't think it works with the application format?

Really, really bad move on their part. Especially for a publisher that specializes in high quality printing!

ashill221 Oct 2012 10:19 a.m. PST

Is the new version of FoG still an Osprey product?

monger Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 10:21 a.m. PST

Yeah… I agree. As I looked through the e-book, many times I wanted to go ack to another page in another chapter. However, this is actually kinda hard to do, as you have to either go directly to the Contents page, the Index page, or use the page flipping feature that when you 'swipe' forwards or backwards on the current page, it takes youto the previous/next chapter cover page. Once you get to the right chapter, you swipe 'down' to get to the first page, again for the second, etc. (although once you get to the 1st page of a chaper, on the left of the screen are page n umbers you can click on to 'jump' right to a page in the chapter).

A 'Quick Find' feature would do well, that is type a word, and it gives you page results so you can find what your looking for quickly. Again, some sort of Bookmark feature is needed!

However, I have to say… if your an old-hat (or you play alot of FOG) at this game (I am new actually), you really shouldn't have too much trouble knowing efore hand where to find something.

There is no print feature of course, and although the e-book contains a load of game charts and tables in the back of the book, you can't print them out!

Oh… and one other thing, you have to have online access to open the book! Once you open the book you no longer need online access to read it. THat's what I noted so far anyway.

monger Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 10:25 a.m. PST

Oh… yes, Osprey is still part of the production of the game. All the illustrations are from Osprey. However, I don't think they have much to do with publication really. Idk the details of the relaionship. Seems odd though. I imagine Osprey really isn't the main force behind the game, or we would no dought see another HIGH QUALITY printed book out a lot sooner (if it happens at all).

monger Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 10:26 a.m. PST

As far as Kindle… all I know is you can download the rules for PC, MAC, and iPad formats.

Personal logo Waco Joe Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 10:46 a.m. PST

link

Nuf sed

monger Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 10:52 a.m. PST

Nice. To be honest, I find Tablets the most useless piece of tech avail. today! And I am saying that as an informed, tech using kinda guy! lol. Seriously. I won't get off topic on that though. I know I will not get a tablet just to read an e-book, lol.

The Young Guard21 Oct 2012 11:33 a.m. PST

Death to the tablet

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 12:30 p.m. PST

A tablet has a place but not for a set of rules, IMO. I suppose if a quick find interface and some sort of a bookmark feature were added, this would help.

Waco, interesting chart. Please note that the chart does not show all e-readers. Sony, Nook and other brands are out there too. The newest Kindle Fire HD is a game changer in many ways as the pricing is very reasonable for what you get. Still think I prefer the I-Pad but you can't ignore the $199 USD price for the Kindle Fire HD. There are some limitations to the Kindle Fire HD. To me it is a blend of an e-reader and a tablet. Doing the former well and the latter almost as well.

Regarding the book version, there was a lot of flak about the electronic release and they have been scrambling to correct this. The problem is that Slitherine is an electronics game company and tend to see the marketplace through this standpoint. The release should have been in print first with the electronic format as an option either later on or at the same time. I have not seen the electronic application, but I am not a fan of PDFs either. I almost always print out PDF rules anyway.

Personal logo Sergeant Paper Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 1:11 p.m. PST

Meh. I like reading on an e-reader, but I can't justify getting a tablet.

Micman Supporting Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 2:44 p.m. PST

I want a hard copy of the rules (if I were to go to 2.0 that is). IF nothing else they should setup a print on demand offer.

Currently I do not have a tablet, but when I do buy one will not be a iPad. OK if work gets me one….. or a Surface. For myself I am torn between Kindle Fire and a Google for both cost and their infrastructure.

Also Osprey needs to do a better job proofing the rule that they publish. Everyone I have read has had some fundamental issues with references, index and sometimes playabilty. They look great, but….

Nik Gaukroger21 Oct 2012 2:58 p.m. PST

I want a hard copy of the rules (if I were to go to 2.0 that is). IF nothing else they should setup a print on demand offer.

They have announced that there will be a print on demand version of the rules – they expect it to be available in November.

Twilight Samurai21 Oct 2012 10:23 p.m. PST

You all have nothing to complain about. At least your being offered modern user friendly products.
DBA 3.0, still over the horizon somewhere in Never Never Land, looks like it will be in the same old hieroglyphics on clay tablets.

Greg Jennings Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 10:36 p.m. PST

Well I'd tell you what I'd think – if I could get the PC version to run! Apparently some problem/conflict with anti-virus software.

One solution offered (although not from the Support desk I would add) is to temporarily disable anti-virus. This hasn't worked for some so one person got it to work by:

1)Uninstalling the ereader (and deleting downloaded books)
2)Uninstalling[!] internet security / antivirus software – even if it doesn't appear to be the problem
3)Reboot
4)Install the ereader (and download books)
5)Install your security software (followed by another reboot)

I can tell you now I am NOT temporarily disabling my anti-virus software and definitely NOT uninstalling it.

This appears to be a fairly major programming flaw – surely someone tested this to make this wouldn't be an issue?

I feel like I have egg on my face as I quietly have defended this choice of delivery to some very skeptical friends – who now think it is hilarious! <Sigh>

jameshammyhamilton22 Oct 2012 2:58 a.m. PST

Well I'd tell you what I'd think if I could get the PC version to run! Apparently some problem/conflict with anti-virus software.

I think some other people have had that issue, if you look on the Slitherine forum I think it was to do with the registration process thinking that the software was the FoG computer game and not the FoG rules.

shadoe0122 Oct 2012 5:17 a.m. PST

"One solution offered (although not from the Support desk I would add) is to temporarily disable anti-virus."

Actually that was the advice given to me by the support desk for my problem which was that the "downloaded" rules would not load / run in the ereader.

"I think some other people have had that issue, if you look on the Slitherine forum I think it was to do with the registration process thinking that the software was the FoG computer game and not the FoG rules."

These are two separate problems – loading the rules ebook and registering the ereader software. The registration problem was another issue besides which registration is not required to run the software but rather to get the usual stuff you get with registration – software updates, advertising, news, etc.

shadoe0122 Oct 2012 5:23 a.m. PST

There are various bugs in the software that I expect should be fixed in time. It wouldn't be the first time that buggy software was released….hello, Microsoft.

Other issues have to do with the lack of what standard ereader functions, such as:

1) No text searches
2) No ability to book mark pages
3) No ability to add notes
4) No ability to highlight text
5) No ability to click on a "hot link" to referenced sections in the text (e.g., glossary) terms with a "back" button to return to the text you were reading.

But, other than that, it's all good. :-)

Perhaps in a future version?

DeRuyter Supporting Member of TMP22 Oct 2012 10:35 a.m. PST

There are various bugs in the software that I expect should be fixed in time. It wouldn't be the first time that buggy software was released….hello, Microsoft.

Other issues have to do with the lack of what standard ereader functions, such as:

1) No text searches
2) No ability to book mark pages
3) No ability to add notes
4) No ability to highlight text
5) No ability to click on a "hot link" to referenced sections in the text (e.g., glossary) terms with a "back" button to return to the text you were reading.

But, other than that, it's all good. :-)

Perhaps in a future version?

From what I have read on the various fora the crux of the problem is the e-reader itself. Kind of curious what other e-books this Abannon(sp) publisher has done. Seems like Slitherine has made a bad choice of an e-publisher. No searching, no bookmarks, what's the point? Despite having an ipad, I'll wait for the POD version.

Greg Jennings Inactive Member22 Oct 2012 10:31 p.m. PST

I think some other people have had that issue, if you look on the Slitherine forum I think it was to do with the registration process thinking that the software was the FoG computer game and not the FoG rules.

Yes this was another, minor, but separate issue. As others have said the splash screen at start-up links through to the wrong product on the Slitherine page – you can easily get around it once you are at the site by finding the correct product and then registering it.

I mean I know these things happen but on top of everything else it seems like carelessness – and considering launch was delayed while the whole hardcopy print issue was being discussed and resolved(?) I would have thought these are the sort of things that testing would have turned up to be fixed. I'm a mild sort of bloke but I must admit I'm a bit miffed by the whole thing (although I have been sick so perhaps I'm just old and grumpy)! old fart

paul in rhb Inactive Member23 Oct 2012 2:54 a.m. PST

Oh dear is it me of is life becoming more complicated as i get older? Electronics seem so much more difficult than the rest. But then again I like reading my rule book in the bath.

TarletonW26 Oct 2012 4:20 a.m. PST

I have just picked up i-pad version of rules.
I really love my i-pad and use it all the time for all manner of activities. I am not anti-electronic rules, so keen to give them a try.

However, from my brief look at it, it seems very clunky. I have never seen anything on the i-pad that is so slow…slow to the point of being impossible to use infact.

It took over a day to download properly, seemed to get stuck somewhere. It was only when I downloaded the army lists that it seemd to continue loading but when you turn a page it just gets stuck.

I will see if it works over the weekend, but otherwise I think that I will exercise my consumer rights and get a refund!

monger Supporting Member of TMP26 Oct 2012 5:45 a.m. PST

Again… I heard the same from other iPad users.

I got the PC version (3 days after the initial release), and I had no problems with the downloading of the rules or lists. No problems with registration, or 'un-product' as well.

My complaint was that yes… it was 'clunky', a bit slow to use by the standards of today, and was missing certain features (like word/suject search, and bookmark).

Sgt Steiner06 Nov 2012 6:53 a.m. PST

I have the iPad version and was initially underwhelmed as slow and clunky but after an update it is much smoother faster and user friendly.

Would still prefer a printed copy though at least of the multi page QRS stuff if not full rules

Cheers

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.