Help support TMP

"WIP Napoleon at War British - Man at War Miniatures" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Action Log

20 Oct 2012 5:11 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "WIP Napoleon at War Britsh-Man at War Miniatures" to "WIP Napoleon at War British - Man at War Miniatures"

1,642 hits since 20 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

pilum40 Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2012 3:29 p.m. PST

I'm cobbling together a Britsh Division for Napoleon at War plus some cavalry and artillery. The company tends to release "this and that" so there's really no rhyme or reason as to when and what I've painted. Overall, they're pretty good figures with the bayonets and flagstaffs not wargaming durable. It's no big problem since I usually drill out the flagstaffs and replace them with brass rods and GMB flags (highly recommended). Anyway, here's the gallery. I'm getting there little by little. (quite frustrated by this company's lack of releases since I want to keep this army Man at War miniatures only. :(

link

Steve Miller
DFW Irregulars

Timotheous20 Oct 2012 8:53 p.m. PST

Very nice army Steve! I especially like your mounted officers, and the shako cords look nice too.

Cheers

Tarty121 Oct 2012 3:11 p.m. PST

These have come up well, haven't seen much of their range painted…..nice.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP22 Oct 2012 9:05 p.m. PST

Very, very nice…

Your mention of the bayonets, among others that have said this, have convinced me to try Blue Moon.

I have heard that NaW paint up easily with their raised details. Did you find this to be true?

pilum40 Supporting Member of TMP24 Oct 2012 5:03 p.m. PST

they do paint up quite easily. I used a Minwax brushed on technique. Worked like a champ. I oil rub (painting)all my cavalry. They came out just fine too. The bayonet issue hasn't stopped me from purchasing them. I just find the issue annoying. :(

Clay the Elitist Inactive Member27 Oct 2012 8:48 p.m. PST

No offense Steve, but you treat your figures like Bleeped text. I have Napoleon at War figures too and not one broken bayonet.

Of course one could argue that you're breaking your bayonets on my troops….

Littlearmies04 Nov 2012 5:45 a.m. PST

Steve, you've done a very nice job on them. I think I like the sculpting of the infantry and artillery better than the cavalry. How do they match with AB for size?

Clay the Elitist Inactive Member20 Nov 2012 11:52 a.m. PST

NaW are larger than AB.

The only issues are mixing infantry within the SAME unit, and mixing cavalry within the same brigade. NaW infantry really need to used in 100% of a unit, but you can put them beside another unit of a different make without a problem.

Cavalry are not this way. I do not like brigading a NaW cavalry unit with any other manufacturer because the difference is striking. Having Minifig lancers mixed with NaW Chasseurs doesn't work for me.

pilum40 Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2012 7:15 a.m. PST

Since I've painted both infantry, artillery, generals AND cavalry for this army from AB, CGM AND Men at War, I'll opine. I agree with CTE that mixing infantry from AB and MaW is not a good thing visually. They don't mix. Not well. Not at all. The MaW figures are vaguely reminiscent of Minifigs in stature with squat features and no necks. It doesn't make a tinker's dam on the game table but is rather amusing when painting them. It does beat the pencil-neck look I've seen with some Battlefront figures so I guess that could be a wash.
The cavalry as already posted is another issue entirely. The MaW Scots Greys must be a large 20mm figure. They are huge in comparison to the CGM Line Heavy Dragoons I've painted and dwarf the AB Prussian Hussars and scads of Austrian cavalry I've painted for my Austrians. I've taken to not brigading my Scots Greys with GCM but using them as a separate unit. They don't fit visually and I'm a bit anal-retentive about things like that. I understand the idea of niche marketing and having unique products. I also understand that the Spanish economy is in shambles. I don't understand why a company that has put together a decent set of rules, produced some figures for the rules has such a sketchy business model and a very sketchy release schedule. If the line wasn't ready for prime time, why release it? If the company wasn't ready for mass sales, why release everything part and parcel? These are other threads and should be taken up in the discussion section. I digress. Apologies. Would I have taken the same course again? I'm not sure. Will I complete the British and French with Napoleon at War figures? I'm all in at this point and need to finish the project in hand. I hope I'm not getting my social security by the time these guys decide to release the figures necessary to complete THEIR project. Ahh…I feel much better now. Don't mix…keep them separate.

Steve Miller
DFW Irregulars

BattlefieldModels Inactive Member12 Feb 2013 4:04 p.m. PST

I agree that their business plan for releases does need some better planning. I have just got the order on route for the UK of the new French Cuirassiers and Carabiniers, British Heavy Dragoons and Highlanders and Prussian Landwher but they have been in the pipe line for longer than I expcted. I hope that their Prussian Hussars that they are working on come quicker.

I think their problem has been financial as they have announced that they are doing a cost review at the start of March. I think this is so that they can push through newer models quicker. I just hope it is only a mini increase if it comes about. Ultimately though as long as it spurs them on, even through what is a very bad Spanish economy because I have to say they do produce a good miniature.

Paul
Battlefield Models

Royal Marine19 Feb 2013 7:15 a.m. PST

If these figures sell well across the EU and even the US and 'down south' in AU/NZ then does it matter where they are based (apart from postal costs)?

Surely if they are selling figures then they in business and thus producing more figures generates more sales. There figures look good and well packaged and supported with rules; it just needs continuity.

I wonder if these discussions translate well into Spanish? We, the fickle consumer, haven't heard much from them.

The Conde Inactive Member21 Feb 2013 9:36 a.m. PST

Are the Blue Moon 18mm figures close enough to the MoW figures in size? I love the Napoleon at War rules, but hate the glacial pace of miniatures releases.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.