Help support TMP

"FOG2" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

1,124 hits since 15 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Young Guard15 Oct 2012 12:20 p.m. PST

Is there going to be some dramatic changes to FOG in FOG2 that makes it worth while to buy an upgrade and all the army lists.

I mean to be fair, I've only played one game due to my very slow painting speed but I have invested a lot of money in FOG….

Steve15 Oct 2012 12:41 p.m. PST

You can find a summary of the changes here:

slitherine.com/news/item476

And more detailed discussion here:

link

link

Currently it's only available on Ipad, PC and Mac. Hardback to come "soon."

Steve

stenicplus15 Oct 2012 4:30 p.m. PST

Depends very much if you wish to play again and against whom?

Chances are regular players will get version 2 as enough has changed if you want to keep up. If you plan to just play locally with other v1 players then don't bother.

The sad reality is all v1 stuff will soon become redundant, including all those army list books we bought, altough you can probably get away with not bothering with army lists and just annotating your old list books.

Dexter Ward16 Oct 2012 2:07 a.m. PST

The changes to the Army lists seems to be more in the nature of errata than wholesale revisions; you can probably just annotate your books.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 5:31 a.m. PST

Yeah, Osprey is really Bleeped texting me off with this one. They called me to pick up some more stock and a month later announced FOG2. So naturally, I'm sitting on a lot of excess V1 stock that I'll end up blowing out at a loss.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 7:05 a.m. PST

The lists are being tweaked at most. Not a lot of lists are changing at all. The Romans are the ones that are getting a bit of the shaft from my view (I have been part of the playtest list).

FoG V2 is cleaning up some issues and bringing playability in line with FoG Renaissance. Mark, you may be getting stuck on the V1 rules but your lists should be fine. They are still some time away from publishing v2 in hardback from my understanding.

The electronic launch was very ill received. I understand the reasoning but it smacks to me of what Netflix did and they assumed that people would prefer the electronic version. Personally, the whole application thing was a very bad move IMO. Even a solely PDF launch would have been a big mistake.

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 11:19 a.m. PST

Yeah, Osprey is really bleeping me off with this one.

Nothing to do with Osprey now I believe.

Dexter Ward17 Oct 2012 2:58 a.m. PST

As far as I know, Slitherine are publishing FOG v2 because Osprey didn't want to publish it before they had sold remaining stock of v1.
So don't blame Osprey.

stenicplus17 Oct 2012 8:20 a.m. PST

Unless Osprey are pushing V1 stock as hard as they can before V2 gets going, thus giving someone else the problem of old stock and not them…

monger Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2012 4:30 p.m. PST

I still don't get it! How is it a company can put out a game like FOG as a high end 'gloss' product (I mean, hardback, full color, Osprey backing, etc.)… and before it even sees a second ed., turns into a 'digital'/pod version! Wth happened?

I sense this will also happen with their other rules (Renn., and Napoleonic FOG), which is one reason I am holding off buying ANY FOG products till all this settles into place. Sad really.

I guess the success of FOG couldn't sustain it as a gloss hard copy… either that or it just wasn't such a great success after all (and after investing so much into the product). Someone messed up somewhere.

RudyNelson Inactive Member17 Oct 2012 4:48 p.m. PST

Monger, Slitherine is a computer game company in the UK. A very large one. Their ability to put any edition into a computer format form would not take long at all.

On the other hand the slow printing publication process that Osprey goes through to get a game to market is extensive.
So it should not be strange that the timelines of the pipelines differ.

monger Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2012 4:58 p.m. PST

I understand that Rudy, but why the change over to digital is beyond me. Of course, like you said, they are a computer game company (their games are pretty nifty to I might add).

Dexter Ward18 Oct 2012 2:11 a.m. PST

FOG2 is also going to be available as a Print on Demand book, for those of us who prefer hard copy.
There's even a price up on the website, though you can't buy it yet – $17.54 USD for the book.

jameshammyhamilton18 Oct 2012 10:33 a.m. PST

My understanding is that Osprey were not willing to do a printed version of FoG version 2 until mid to late 2013 at the earliest which as they are publishing lots of other wargames rules is understandable.

FoG is now at least 5 years old and for tournament players it is getting stale. Some sort of refresh is needed and what we are getting is the result of Slitherine and Osprey discussing things at length.

The electronic version of FoG should allow for much easier updates and patches and I think that it is definitely for the good. Not initially offering a printed version was IMO a mistake but that has seemingly now been resolved. My only question is which platform should I get the new rules on.

The Young Guard18 Oct 2012 2:42 p.m. PST

I really don't have to much of a problem with updating the rules and even releasing them for sale.

It just the bloody army lists… I mean personally I have spent about £100.00 GBP on lists and rules. I, like most people, have a small budget (esp with an impending young family to look after) and I just feel a bit cheated!

Puster Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2012 6:20 a.m. PST

Is there any indication that they will need new army lists vor V2?

Afaik they could publish (as free pdf) a list of amendments to be used with existing army books. This would certainly enhance their reputation.

The Young Guard23 Oct 2012 2:31 p.m. PST

Afaik they are redoing rise of Rome as they reckon the Romans are two strong……..

Nik Gaukroger23 Oct 2012 2:32 p.m. PST

I am not aware that there are plans for new army list books for v2.

As I was heavily involved in the v1 lists I would hope that I'd know if there was anything planned, but you never know :-)

The Young Guard24 Oct 2012 2:17 p.m. PST

if there are no more army lists to be released then thats not to bad really……mmmmmmmmm

monger Supporting Member of TMP25 Oct 2012 8:27 a.m. PST

So does that mean I should BUY the hard copies of the lists? I was thinking of holding off (I did get the NEW Roman e-lists). however, I do want to use stuff from other periods as well. I just don't want to waste any money here on the Hard copy.

Are the 'V2 updates' to the army books for the army books available on their website?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.