Help support TMP

"B-24s -- same or different BG?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

635 hits since 7 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Oberst Radl Supporting Member of TMP07 Oct 2012 7:37 p.m. PST

I have 7 B-24s. I want to put them in the 15th AF, but should I paint 'em all for 1 BG or different BGs?

corvettek225 Inactive Member07 Oct 2012 8:08 p.m. PST

Most aerial games are 1:1. Seeing as a heavy bombardment group was tabled at 72 aircraft, I would want more than just a couple painted up before switching to another group. At bare minimum a dozen or so in my eyes.

Allen5707 Oct 2012 8:10 p.m. PST

Same BG

ecaminis Supporting Member of TMP08 Oct 2012 5:06 a.m. PST

Too many neat colors to just paint 1 BG and I can't afford a dozen of each squadron in a BG. I would paint at least 3 in each squadron. It might not be historical to mix BG , but it would be colorful.

corvettek225 Inactive Member08 Oct 2012 7:41 a.m. PST

ecaminis, you'll cwetainly like this picture. Click the link and scroll down to the first picture. Its seven (7) B-17 at an airshow.
link

Eclectic Wave08 Oct 2012 8:14 a.m. PST

If you were doing a diorama, historical accuracy would be one of considerations and you would want them all of the same BG.

But if your gaming, you want a colorful fun mix, go for the mix of bomber groups, will look a lot more attractive on the table top.

Pajaro Muerto08 Oct 2012 8:21 a.m. PST

I'm all for the mix of colors. They catch future new players' eyes and are a conversation piece, if you will, at the game.

If you want a bit of historical plausibility, paint them in the same BG schemes in a ratio of 3:2:2. Or 3:4.

—Rolando

Oberst Radl Supporting Member of TMP08 Oct 2012 4:15 p.m. PST

My head says to go with corvettek225 and Allen57. My heart says go with Eclectic Waive, ecaminis, and Pajaro Muerto. Can the heartbreak of psoriasis be far behind?

corvettek225 Inactive Member08 Oct 2012 4:20 p.m. PST

Remember, the bombers in a BG need not be all of the same "overall" color, just the key markings. Besides, it could also provoke you to buying a second dozen. :-)

Mako1108 Oct 2012 5:20 p.m. PST

I'd go with pretty much the same battlegroup as well, but no reason you couldn't add a straggler or two into the mix, from another unit, just for fun.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.