Help support TMP

"A different wars of Napoleon" Topic

31 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Utter Drivel Message Board

1,122 hits since 6 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 4:08 a.m. PST

How would the Napoleonic wars be changed if they were produced by Sid and Marty Kroft? What new units would they introduce? Would there be new theaters of war? Would there be new complications in historical theaters like Egypt? How would you game it?

MajorB06 Oct 2012 4:11 a.m. PST

At least this has been posted on the right board … pity it's also been posted on other completely inappropriate boards.

MajorB06 Oct 2012 4:14 a.m. PST

Not knowing who Sid and Marty Kroft were I Googled them … I have never heard of any of the shows they produced either. Complete nonentities AFAIC.

Now if you said Gerry and Sylvia Anderson …

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 5:02 a.m. PST

After designing the characters and sets for Hanna-Barbera's Banana Splits series, the Kroffts' producing career began in 1969 with the landmark children's television series H.R. Pufnstuf. The series introduced the team's trademark style of large scale, colorful design, puppetry, and special effects. Featuring a boy who has been lured into an alternate fantasy world and can never escape, the team also established a storytelling formula they would often return to.

Some people suggested that the Krofft brothers were influenced by marijuana and LSD, although they have always denied these claims. In a 2005 interview with USA Today, Marty Krofft said, "No drugs involved. You can't do drugs when you're making shows. Maybe after, but not during. We're bizarre, that's all."[2] Referring to the alleged LSD use, Marty said in another interview, "That was our look, those were the colors, everything we did had vivid colors, but there was no acid involved. That scared me. I'm no goody two-shoes, but you can't create this stuff stoned."[3]

The Kroffts also favored quirky superhero stories, often with children involved as the heroes or part of a hero team. Particularly visionary and popular Krofft productions have included The Bugaloos (1970), Lidsville (1971), Sigmund and the Sea Monsters (1973), Land of the Lost (1974), The Lost Saucer (1975), Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (1976), and Wonderbug (1976).

link

Being that you are in the UK Margard, I am not really surprised that you don't know most of the shows. Maybe they did not air there? I am surprised you don't know "Land of the Lost." That was probably the most recognizable of their shows. Also, if you were not a child of the 70s…

Back on topic: @flooglestreet
They definitely had the flair for fantasy. Using your Egyptian example, there would still be the British and English. The mess would be complicated by the Pharaohs and their armies of minions. When they attack, the British and the French would likely have to team up and drive the Egyptian armies off. Perhaps the Egyptians are some sort of high functioning undead or are time travelers or something.

Edwulf06 Oct 2012 5:02 a.m. PST

In the words of the sweet virgin Mary…. Come again?

Never heard of either. Did one of them command a sloop in 1812?

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 5:12 a.m. PST

I think a blond wood colored artillery caisson that talks like Marlene Dietrich would enhance any Napoleonic battle.

MajorB06 Oct 2012 5:20 a.m. PST

Maybe they did not air there?

Nope. Not that I know of at any rate.

I am surprised you don't know "Land of the Lost."

Nope, again as far as I am aware this film never made it across the pond. Judging by the critical review section here:
link
- I'm not exactly surprised either.

Also, if you were not a child of the 70s…

Child of the 60s!

Back on topic:

Sorry, I don't see how my comments are off-topic?

The Gray Ghost06 Oct 2012 5:28 a.m. PST

They are not Off Topic they are just snarky
We get it you are not into them

The Gray Ghost06 Oct 2012 5:30 a.m. PST

H.R. Pufnstuf now that would be fun to game.
I always thought the colors had to do with the quality of color tv at the time, many shows tried to ram in as much color as the could.

on a side note I met the Banana Splits when I was a kid

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 5:32 a.m. PST

Napoleon is on his way to Elba when a big storm blows his ship to an unknown island.

You don't have to be a child of the 70s, just part of an extended family with kids in the 70's.

MajorB06 Oct 2012 5:38 a.m. PST

We get it you are not into them

How can I be "into them" if I have never heard of them?

Balin Shortstuff06 Oct 2012 6:40 a.m. PST

Custard pie volleys?

Chocolate Fezian Inactive Member06 Oct 2012 6:51 a.m. PST

HR (hand rolled?) Puffinstuff was shown in the UK, I loved it when I was a kid it stared Jack Wild a British actor. The Banana splits was also shown.
If they were to do Napoleon it would be spaced out, without space ships

1815Guy Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 6:58 a.m. PST

You dont need Banana Splits costumes when you already have Murat…… !!!

cavcrazy06 Oct 2012 7:01 a.m. PST

I have every episode of the Banana Splits.

le Grande Quartier General Inactive Member06 Oct 2012 9:35 a.m. PST

Napoleon wouldn't sell them the rights. They were (and are) the biggest hacks in the industry. Everything they did was utter excrement (which they attempt to recycle periodically), and would never have made it past an initial pitch, let alone the first ratings report, in world that had more than 3 channel choices. The only reason anybody watched that junk was because there weren't any better choices on Saturday morning in their time slots.

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 9:39 a.m. PST

Does anyone recall a novel called something like "The Napoleons of Eridanus?" I enjoyed the book, but never used it in gaming.

link

This might inspire others to make a positive comment to the Napoleonic Sci-Fi board proposed. But I find the what-ifs of the era enough without introducing dinosaurs or space ships!

GdeP

GdeP

Qurchi Bashi06 Oct 2012 10:41 a.m. PST

I am surprised you don't know "Land of the Lost."

Nope, again as far as I am aware this film never made it across the pond. Judging by the critical review section here:
link
- I'm not exactly surprised either.

That link is about the terrible movie; the original TV series was really quite interesting. The movie is actually quite dreadful, and was more like a parody of the original series. The tv show had time-paradox plots, cavemen with their own invented language, in addition to animated dinosaurs and some silly children writing. It went downhill after the first couple of seasons when most of the original writers left (they had some who were pretty big sci-fi authors) and the new crew just didn't get the concept. But some of the early shows were very good.

jeeves06 Oct 2012 11:19 a.m. PST

What about bananas in pajamas in the UK? Excuse me, pyjamas.

MajorB06 Oct 2012 1:20 p.m. PST

What about bananas in pajamas in the UK? Excuse me, pyjamas.

Bananas in Pyjamas is an Australian children's television show.
link

MajorB06 Oct 2012 1:21 p.m. PST

Everything they did was utter excrement (which they attempt to recycle periodically), and would never have made it past an initial pitch, let alone the first ratings report, in world that had more than 3 channel choices.

And they said I was being snarky!!

14Bore06 Oct 2012 1:51 p.m. PST

Well I'll bite,He would have at least a regiment of little furry humanistic troops.

1815Guy Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 1:55 p.m. PST

Tribbles, 14Bore?

The Gray Ghost06 Oct 2012 3:33 p.m. PST

Everything they did was utter excrement (which they attempt to recycle periodically), and would never have made it past an initial pitch, let alone the first ratings report, in world that had more than 3 channel choices.

Actually programing was better when we had only three channels

Nasty Canasta Inactive Member06 Oct 2012 4:28 p.m. PST

(sigh)…

20+ posts and the most intelligent answer involves a German-speaking caisson.

I believe this topic is doomed.

djbthesecond06 Oct 2012 5:21 p.m. PST

i would imagine wellington would have a talking sword that called out "save me welly, save me!'

french chasseurs would be mounted on normal sized horses but would be very short and charge at twice the normal movement rate.

cannon would simply shout 'bang!' instead of actually firing.

every time napoleon recieved a report from one of his aide du camps he would have to wrestle with them in a hilarious way like drooper at the mailbox.

The old guard would be go-go dancers

every battle would be interrupted with a story about a completely different battle between shipwrecked people, nasty pirates and natives.

forests would be made of grumpy trees (or am i thinking of wizard of Oz?

The Gray Ghost06 Oct 2012 5:46 p.m. PST

I think it would be fun I just think you would have to whimsey the hell out of it.
Eureka Toy Town, Teddy Bears, Flying Monkeys.
Brigade Games Swiss Gnomes
Rapier flying witch
and in a bunch of Flintloque figures

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP06 Oct 2012 5:56 p.m. PST

20+ posts and the most intelligent answer involves a German-speaking caisson.

I took an honest whack at it! Hmph!

Nasty Canasta Inactive Member06 Oct 2012 6:30 p.m. PST

I enjoyed your synopsis, in fact I thought you would offer some Sid-Mart type of take. Nevertheless, I do believe that a "Lidsville" theme would be appropriate given the differing headgear throughout Europe (i.e. a Highland bonnet with bad teeth, or a Russian shako hopelessly addicted to vodka).

How about the Sleestak from "Land of the Lost" being attired as Napoleon's Old Guard? They'd have to dump those crappy crossbows though.

Zephyr106 Oct 2012 7:47 p.m. PST

"The old guard would be go-go dancers"

Can-can dancers would be more appropriate…

Throw in the Time Bandits and Mayor McCheese and things could definitely get weirder….

Whatisitgood4atwork Supporting Member of TMP07 Oct 2012 7:46 p.m. PST

I thought djbthesecond had a pretty good crack at it. The magic talking sword is a good touch.

Regiments consisting entirely of silly hats would do nicely.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.