Help support TMP

"More support for 3d Printers" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Moldmaking and Casting Message Board

Back to the Conversions Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

771 hits since 3 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian03 Oct 2012 3:45 p.m. PST

link

interesting take on where the technology is and where it is going

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian03 Oct 2012 4:06 p.m. PST

Might tempt the wargaming hobby into larger scales, as I'm skeptical that small-scale detailing will be mass market…

DeanMoto Inactive Member03 Oct 2012 4:12 p.m. PST

I think they'd be good for vehicles/ships and terrain. I'd love to see stuff currently unavailable, like 1/900th-1/1200th Imjin War ships and coastal defenses.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2012 4:16 p.m. PST

Wow! Now if they can just find a loophole around that pesky patent infringement… Seriously, if they mainstream these 3D printers, into every grade school, this thing will become commonplace, overnight. And that would be a great thing…

There are some 1980's motorcycle side covers, for example, which fall off due to a weak peg that snaps off. Finding replacements, on e-Bay, is difficult; when you do find a replacement, it will sell for $200 USD+, which is likely a large chunk of the value of the entire vehicle. If these printers were common, rare parts for vintage cars, motorcycles, etc., would be easy to replace, with potentially very accurate, freshly printed parts. Now that would be neat! Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

DeanMoto Inactive Member03 Oct 2012 4:23 p.m. PST

If these printers were common, rare parts for vintage cars, motorcycles, etc., would be easy to replace, with potentially very accurate, freshly printed parts. Now that would be neat! Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

I'd love a 3D printed 1:1 Porsche 356A grin

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian03 Oct 2012 4:49 p.m. PST

Oh… and the printed items need to be more durable than resin…

Mako1103 Oct 2012 9:33 p.m. PST

"I'd love a 3D printed 1:1 Porsche 356A".

Would probably only cost a Trillion Dollars, given the high prices of very small minis, not to mention the hefty fee for shipping, too.

I imagine Shapeways can ship it to you for $5 USD Million, or so, anywhere in the world.

DeanMoto Inactive Member03 Oct 2012 10:07 p.m. PST

Either way, I'll never be able to own one. It's all a dream anyway.

Dynaman878904 Oct 2012 3:45 a.m. PST

> Oh… and the printed items need to be more durable than resin…

I don't know, actual cars these days are not that much better.

PJ Parent04 Oct 2012 1:21 p.m. PST

link

Wont do your car but might be good for small stuff.

PJ Parent04 Oct 2012 1:22 p.m. PST

How far are we from a replicator… I know too far but i can dream.

Mako1104 Oct 2012 5:53 p.m. PST

They're available now, if you have the money.

I've read some were sent overseas, to our military, to make key components there. Don't recall what they were, but think they were parts for various vehicles.

They're working on the meat replicator too, but I am very dubious about anything produced from those.

Still, the technology is certainly interesting, as well as a bit disturbing on some fronts too.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.