Help support TMP

"Horus Heresy: Betrayal - Review" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 28mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

1,511 hits since 27 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Toyz n the Hood Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 1:33 p.m. PST

Hi guys,

After queuing for an hour and a half at Games Day last weekend I've just finished my review of the new Horus Heresy book from Forgeworld.

Please take a look at: -

link

All the best,

Steve

Redroom Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 2:33 p.m. PST

Thanks for the review

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 7:14 p.m. PST

That is a great review and answers pretty much all of the questions I had about the book. I don't know when I'll be getting it but based on your review I will definitely be getting it.

Looking at the end I'm actually glad that they didn't include anything in the way of alien races. While there were alien races around, it seems like a supplement focused on the Heresy should be focused on the civil war aspect of the history more so than on the crusade.

That could be another, later supplement.

I really hope that they come out with at least one box of plastic marines to support this.

Manflesh28 Sep 2012 4:54 a.m. PST

A heresy-era plastic set would also be on my 'really hope' list, but also on my 'don't hold you breath' list.

Sigh. I'm still surprised that the parent company didn't want to do this themselves. Lovely work so far from Forge World though.

Leigh

Personal logo Pizzagrenadier Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Sep 2012 7:23 a.m. PST

I would have loved to see GW release a 25th anniversary box set of new plastic Mk 6 beakies to celebrate the iconic models that so many of us started 40k with.

Chris B Inactive Member28 Sep 2012 9:23 a.m. PST

It's neat, but I don't think it's $100 USD+ worth of neat.

Just checked out Angron in the FW store. $80 USD before shipping. Yikes!

Toyz n the Hood Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Sep 2012 11:32 a.m. PST

I can't see them doing plastics for models that aren't in the main range. It's a shame as it would make collecting them a little easier on the wallet.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Sep 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

But they could be in the main range. It isn't like older models of armour aren't still in service. If I were playing a normal marine army I'd probably buy a boxed set of the older ones just to put the odd guy in different armour here and there.
That is the thing about doing a set with older armour, both sides in the Heresy use it and you could sell it to players that are doing any other marine force. There is no reason why they couldn't be in a chaos army either.

You'd only have to make one set of plastics and you could sell the other stuff a ton better.

basileus66 Supporting Member of TMP28 Sep 2012 11:02 p.m. PST

You are right Pictors, but I don't believe GW will do it anytime soon. They have already SM plastics, and that sell very well at that. They won't invest in something new in the near future.

By the way, the review is very good. Thanks for sharing it!

Personal logo wehrmacht Supporting Member of TMP29 Sep 2012 11:10 p.m. PST

Nice review, thanks for posting it.

d.

Toyz n the Hood Sponsoring Member of TMP30 Sep 2012 12:06 a.m. PST

Thanks for the kind words guys – I'm glad you liked it. It's been fun writing it. I just need to think of what to do next:)

Cergorach30 Sep 2012 3:14 a.m. PST

You can make quite effective Mk.VI 'beakie' Marines from plastic parts already, the problem being you need 5 tactical squads to produce 10 beakies. But I'm currently diligently working on my 25 year old dream of building an Adaptus Titanicus/Space Marine force in 40k scale. ;-)

We might see more Heresy era parts on the eventually new SM tactical set, the molds will wear out eventually and a new Codex will happen…

It also depends on how popular 30k will be. And why go plastic so soon, when you can sell them expensive resin kits now? But resin is a pain to produce large quantities of (with consistent quality), when new techniques come into use and costs for producing plastics go down, maybe FW will go plastic on the popular kits that will benefit from plastic. GW already has the know how…

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP25 Dec 2012 4:53 p.m. PST

Awesome review. My favorite period of the 40k verse.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.