Help support TMP

"Wings of Glory/War" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

1,240 hits since 26 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 12:44 p.m. PST

I find myself curiously interested in the Wings of Glory/War game, as we've never found a set of air combat rules that were just right. I had high hopes for MJ12's Spitting Fire, but that seems to have died on the vine, so I keep looking around. Wings of Whatever looks like great fun, but I already have an assortment of 1/300 WWII aircraft that I like, and I'd probably want to stick to that scale if I expanded into WWI as well. How difficult would it be to get just the cards and other accouterments for the game, and skip the planes? How difficult would it be to stat up other aircraft for the game? Would it be worth the effort, or would I be asking a CMG to be more than it is capable of being?

Thanks,
Doug

Mako1126 Sep 2012 1:12 p.m. PST

Wings of War, which now I suppose has been renamed Wings of Glory, was originally just a cardgame, without minis, so it shouldn't be any trouble at all to get the rules without the minis.

There were two other supplements too, e.g. the two-seater rules (can't recall the name right now – Watch your Back, perhaps), and Burning Drachens (balloons).

I recommend the 1/144th scale WWI aircraft, since they are considerably larger, and more impressive looking than the really small 1/300th scale ones.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 1:44 p.m. PST

As I said, I already have a collection of 1/300 which I like, so I'm not very interested in the 1/144 models. The rules, I think I can get with just one of the rules/accessories sets (for WWI) or a free download (WWII). The question I suppose is really the cards. Are the card decks unique to each plane, and therefore also "collectible" in some way? That could represent a problem, if the only way to get a deck for a given plane is to buy the pack with the mini. Also, I'm interested in statting up planes for which I have models that the publishers may never get to, so I'm curious about how difficult that might prove.

Doug

CPBelt Inactive Member26 Sep 2012 1:50 p.m. PST

Poke around this fellow's blog.
cockpit-traditions.blogspot.com

Guys make custom plane cards and pilot cards all the time. Here's a sample plane.

picture

picture

They even made bomber rules and cards, where are pretty cool.

Once you know how the game works, it's pretty easy to stat out anything you want as long as the mechanics fit. Check BBG for lots more discussion.
link

link

You can download the new rule book for free:
aresgames.eu/2084

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 2:01 p.m. PST

Cool! Thanks – that's the sort of info I was hoping to find! I had just downloaded the rules and was flipping through them. It looks a pretty slick system.

Doug

Phil Hall26 Sep 2012 2:58 p.m. PST

Try hanging out at The Wings of Glory Aerodrome. Lots of nice folks who are very helpful to the newcomers.

wingsofwar.org

Mako1126 Sep 2012 5:56 p.m. PST

"…and I'd probably want to stick to that scale if I expanded into WWI as well".

So, "probably" really means "definitely".

;-)

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2012 6:43 p.m. PST

Definitely for WW2. Probably for WW1. I've not handled or painted any 1/300 WW1 planes yet, so I'm not positive.

Doug

coopman27 Sep 2012 6:21 a.m. PST

What exactly makes "Wings of Glory" incompatible with "Wings of War"?

DS615127 Sep 2012 7:24 a.m. PST

As far as I know, nothing. They're the same game.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 9:13 a.m. PST

The website says that WoG is backwards compatible with WoW.

Doug

Personal logo herkybird Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 12:18 p.m. PST

The only difference I have found between WofW and WofG is the artwork has changed slightly, and the manoeuvre cards are made of a slightly more rigid card.
Also, the models are lovely..except they are not as well painted, some models look like bare plastic, with bits painted on..but since i repaint all mine, thats not a problem.
WofG have also expanded the game to earlier in WW1, and have those lovely bombers (sigh!)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.