Help support TMP

"Awesome trade deal: Praetorians for Cadians" Topic

25 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

741 hits since 21 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Capt Flash Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2012 7:56 p.m. PST

So my good buddy Mike is trading me roughly 70 Praetorian Guardsmen for an equal number of Mantic Corporation and Cadian figures. Wotta pal!
I guess I'm starting an IG army!

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2012 9:23 p.m. PST

Sweet,

I was wishing that GW would release them but well it is GW and they never do the smart money making things.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2012 9:43 p.m. PST

That is a great deal!

I have some Pratorians and really like them, but I have to scratch-build to add more

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Sep 2012 10:44 p.m. PST

"I was wishing that GW would release them but well it is GW and they never do the smart money making things."

I guess that is how they climbed to the top of the wargaming heap by making dumb decisions about what makes money. I bet a lot of companies wish they could be blessed with that kind of stupidity.

Simcoe 200022 Sep 2012 4:56 a.m. PST

Praetorians? Check out the forthcoming Britania faction in Spartan Games Dystopian Legions, they are perfectly perceived Praetorian protagonists!

Capt Flash Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2012 6:58 a.m. PST

@ Pictors Studio, I agree with you but GW still dies indeed miss the boat on plenty of cash cows. I wish they'd bring back mire of their boardganes such as Dragon Masters.
@Simcoe, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into that. Too bad my local group are so locked into WM/Hordes. I'd love to jump into Spartan's various games .

Rdfraf Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2012 7:43 a.m. PST

I have a few extra 25 man Praetorian IG platoons (1 five man command section and 2 ten man squads) that I could sell.

I also have 1 platoon each of heavy support weapons and crew (3 guns and crew). That would be heavy bolters, mortars, missile launchers and lascannons.

If anyone is interested please pm me.

Personal logo CeruLucifus Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2012 10:15 a.m. PST

Praetorians are the ones that look like 19th Century British but with Sci-Fi weapons?

It's no secret what GW was thinking. There's no way to have a copyright on historical imagery, so it detracts from their longterm goal of selling only protected intellectual property. New players won't miss the figures since they're not in the new army books (er, codexes), and any old player that doesn't have enough, can convert them from other manufacturers, or find old GW ones in the used market.

Same with space dwarves, space ratmen, etc.

basileus66 Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2012 12:37 p.m. PST

I have a few extra 25 man Praetorian IG platoons (1 five man command section and 2 ten man squads) that I could sell.

PM sent!

WarpSpeed23 Sep 2012 12:53 p.m. PST

Does anybody make a knock off Valhallan ice warrior using a trench shovel as a melee weapon?I know its very "Sven Hassel",but it would sell.

Tezdal223 Sep 2012 4:21 p.m. PST

The new Dystopian Legions Brits do make a good Praetorians match… but I'd be more interested in using the FSA guys as IG, Semi-confederate Guardsmen ftw

billthecat Inactive Member24 Sep 2012 10:03 a.m. PST

Of course, the Mantic 'corporation' figures are very much smaller than any GW gaurdsman….

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 12:29 p.m. PST

"I guess that is how they climbed to the top of the wargaming heap by making dumb decisions about what makes money. I bet a lot of companies wish they could be blessed with that kind of stupidity."

Right and why did they need to totally redo their White Dwarf Mag?

Couldn't be because they hosed it up and readership is down.

How is their 40K Epic going?

Well if it wasn't for the fans of the game it would have been gone over a decade ago.

How did everyone take to them going to Finecast Resin go?

Not very good.

What is the one thing we can count on GW doing in 2013?

Raising their prices once again.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 3:58 p.m. PST

"Right and why did they need to totally redo their White Dwarf Mag?"

People re-do the look of magazines all the time. The bigger questions is "How can a company that makes really dumb decisions sell their catalog of new stuff every month for $10 USD an issue?"

Another way to put it would be "How many companies out there can sell their monthly catalog for $10 USD every month?"

The fact that GW can raise their prices every year means that they are a pretty successful business.

Don't let the fact that you are bitter about decisions they made cloud your judgement about the success of the company. I don't really like finecast much either, although the newer stuff is much, much better than the initial releases, but I'm not going to get all butt hurt to the point where I can't see the difference between a successful business and one that "never do(es) the smart money making things."

To Capt. Flash
I think GW does release some of those things successfully from time to time and I think the key to some of the success is the limited availability. Some of it is probably far less successful financially than we might think and the market may have changed from when whatever it was was first released. I don't know their numbers or their costs but if you can make a crap load of money doing what you are doing and don't know if you can on the other stuff I'd say keep doing what you are doing.

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 6:11 p.m. PST

"People re-do the look of magazines all the time. The bigger questions is "How can a company that makes really dumb decisions sell their catalog of new stuff every month for $10 USD USD an issue?""

Simple, it is advertising that their Fanboyz pay for.

Great marketing move, but White Dwarf has not been worthwhile to buy for over ten years.

I actually did pick up the issue right after 6th Edition came out.

Look at it and into the recycle bin it went. It was nothing but pictures of their overpriced miniatures.

"The fact that GW can raise their prices every year means that they are a pretty successful business."

Raising your prices just so that you can keep the profit margins up is not good business.

But I am still ticked off at them ever since they nerfed my Eldar Guardians, which was a very long time ago.

Oh, I know lets cut the range down on the Shuriken Catapult to 12".

Plus at the same time lets come out with the Tau and lets give them a 30" Range Strength 5, AP 5 weapon.

infojunky24 Sep 2012 10:50 p.m. PST

The real question is will GW survive after The Hobbits Sales bubble bursts….

Wolfprophet25 Sep 2012 9:47 a.m. PST

How did everyone take to them going to Finecast Resin go?

Surprisingly well actually. I don't know if you know this or not…. but people hate metal now. It's a bitch and a half to convert, it chips if you even look at it wrong and it's a pain carrying around an army case full of it. That's why Resin is becoming so prevalent across the industry.

Again also, Finecast is the name brand they are using. The resin is just plain, everyday resin. There is nothing special about it at all. All that stuff about "OMG THEY INVENTED NEW RESIN THAT DISINTEGRATES AND MELTS SO YOU HAVE TO BUY MORE AFTER A YEAR!" is the biggest load of Bleeped text conspiracy theorists have come up with the claims that 9/11 was an inside job. The only thing new about finecast is the people running the machines. They would have had a smoother time if they had even consulted their people at Forgeworld who do the same type of casting on their infantry models(Which has caused people now buying them to wrongly think they are "Finecast".), but I have heard that they didn't even do that, which further complicated the initial launch of the product.

But I am still ticked off at them ever since they nerfed my Eldar Guardians, which was a very long time ago.

Oh, I know lets cut the range down on the Shuriken Catapult to 12".

Plus at the same time lets come out with the Tau and lets give them a 30" Range Strength 5, AP 5 weapon.

Boohoo. Eldar still have more invulnerable saves than anyone else, tanks with god awful amounts of upgrades and I'm not seeing many 4+ or lower saves….probably because Eldar are mostly 3+ saves or better. You also have jetbikes. Did you know in 6th edition Eldar can be horrendously OP now? Skimmers and Jetbikes have Jink and you can field an army made entirely of them both. On top of it, Jetbikes get Hammer of Wrath. Which for each bike coming into initial contact with an enemy model in CC means an instant S10 hit right off the bat.

billthecat Inactive Member25 Sep 2012 10:38 a.m. PST

Wow…

erm… I still prefer metal to any resin model. It's not THAT heavy you know…
Oh, and plastic for conversions.
Funny, they both cost less than most resin models, esp. 'Finecast' (which does melt, I might add, and cannot be paint-stripped so well…)
Yes, GW publishes army lists to sell miniatures, they don't care about you or your army, and they don't care about game balance, etc..etc… (except to sell miniatures).
GW publishes their magazine to sell miniatures.
GW is making money.
It is good to make money, but I do believe (this is IMHO, and probably rather unpopular) that there are principles which are more important than just making money… this is why I choose not to purchase GW products.
NOW, back to the topic at hand: options for IG armies (assuming you want to play THAT game, why is beyond me…):
Wargames Factory Shock-troops.
Defiance Games Marines.
War-Zone plastics from Prince August.
Various metals from Pig Iron, Scotia Grendel, etc…
WW2 plastics? must be some out there? just add 'lasguns'…
Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Mithmee Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2012 7:25 p.m. PST

"Boohoo. Eldar still have more invulnerable saves than anyone else, tanks with god awful amounts of upgrades and I'm not seeing many 4+ or lower saves….probably because Eldar are mostly 3+ saves or better. You also have jetbikes. Did you know in 6th edition Eldar can be horrendously OP now? Skimmers and Jetbikes have Jink and you can field an army made entirely of them both. On top of it, Jetbikes get Hammer of Wrath. Which for each bike coming into initial contact with an enemy model in CC means an instant S10 hit right off the bat."

Eldar Guardians 5+ Save, so any weapon usually kills them outright

Banshee's, Swooping Hawks, Dire Avengers all have a 4+ Save

Striking Scorpions, Dark Reapers, Warp Spiders have a 3+ Save

All are toughness three so they get wounded alot. They are also overprice since their Codex is two Editions old. Designed for 4th not 6th.

In today's world of 6th Edition vehicles have taken a huge hit due to the new Hull Points rules. So all those pricely Eldar Vehicles are being replaced with something else.

Oh and other than Farseers, Warlocks and the Avatar no other Eldar model has invulnerable saves, unless they are sitting in cover.

But the thing about cover is there are many weapons that get rid of that save.

The jink save is 5+ so really is not as good as a Marine's 3+ save.

Oh and my Imperial Guardsmen are still the same and I would put my 2000 point list up against any Eldar force.

I play both so I know that the Eldar would be far out numbered by like 3 or 4 to 1.

basileus66 Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2012 11:06 p.m. PST

In today's world of 6th Edition vehicles have taken a huge hit due to the new Hull Points rules.

That's what I thought when the rules were released, but after playing more than two dozen games since then I have changed my mind.

Glancing hits can destroy a tank, but while in previous editions a single glancing hit could be enough to immobilize the vehicle, or taking out their main weapons, now 3 hits are necessary. Cover is also more effective, and skimmers, like Eldar's ones, have a standard cover save of 5+, that improves to 4+ if they have moved fast enough. Also,internal hits are less damaging, except against specialized weapons (AP1 or 2). In close combat, in the other hand, is where vehicles have been downgraded most. Now, it is very easy to hit them, and therefore destroy them. But in ranged combat their vulnerability it is just marginally higher than before.

The Angry Piper Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 5:58 a.m. PST

I have a rather sizable Mordian Iron Guard army from back in the day. Praetorians were pretty much Mordians with pith helmets. Everything other than the heads were the same sculpts.

Just keep it in mind if you need to field more Praetorians someday and can't find any. If you can get your hands on some Mordians and some "unofficial" pith-helmeted heads somewhere, you should be in business.

CzarBLood02 Oct 2012 9:10 a.m. PST

MaxMini do great pith helmets

Actually the Max mini great coats , legs and Pith Helmets are quite effective , I just have to source arms on them that look ok.

freecloud07 Oct 2012 12:07 a.m. PST

Re swopping with Cadians have you seen the price if Praetorians on eBay these days?

Capt Flash Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2012 11:04 a.m. PST

I haven't checked the eBay prices lately. I'm definitely looking for mordians but I think I'll go with Victoria's pith helmeted heads .

The Angry Piper Supporting Member of TMP18 Oct 2012 5:03 a.m. PST

Secret Weapon does some pith helmets too.

link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.