Help support TMP

"Help - Western Desert" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

971 hits since 21 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 4 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Personal logo vexillia Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Sep 2012 9:07 a.m. PST

Can anyone point me to, or provide me with, a listing of the battalion numbers used by the Durham Light Infantry in the Western Desert during WWII?

I'm trying to stick the right numbers on the vehicles.

Thanks.

--
Martin Stephenson
blog.vexillia.me.uk
amazon.co.uk/shops/vexillia
twitter.com/vexillia

Monkey Hanger Fezian21 Sep 2012 9:37 a.m. PST

link

Why not contact the DLI museum

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2012 5:05 a.m. PST

Which specific battalions and when? As per the link above there were 14 battalions of DLI in WW2, if you know which battalions of which brigades it is easy enough to figure out the tactical numbers based on their position in the formation hierarchy at that specific time period (as tactical numbering schemes changed).

Gary Kennedy22 Sep 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

1 DLI part of 22nd Guards Bde, 6th Div, Feb-Apr 1941, then
1 DLI part of 23rd Bde, 70th Div (reformed 6th Div), Oct 1941 to Jan 1942.

6, 8 & 9 DLI part of 151 Bde, 50th Div (throughout various stints in NA and the ME theatres).

Cribbed from Malcom Bellis' Divs of the British Army, which itself is taken from Joslen's OOB.

Gary

kustenjaeger23 Sep 2012 12:28 p.m. PST

Greetings

Using Joslen as regards 1 DLI:

23 Inf Bde 31 Jan 40 to 21 July 40
22 Inf Bde 23 Jul 40 – 1 Sep 40 and then in renamed Matruh sub-area as Matruh garrison.
22 (later Gds) Inf Bde 28 Feb 41 – 23 May 41 (inc Op Brevity where IIRC they were very badly damaged).
23 Inf Bde 5 June 41-22 Jan 42 part of 6th (renamed 70th) Division in Tobruk garrison.

Then in Malta (Central Inf Bde from 27 Jan 42 then 4th (Malta) Inf Bde (later 234 Inf Bde) from 14 May 42 to 9 Sep 43. 234 Bde lost on Leros in the Aegean.

In the Western Desert the seniority of the constituent units obviously changed with changes within the brigades which could be pretty frequent – if you pick a date we could tell you the other battalions in a brigade. Whether that would translate to changes to vehicle markings is not my area of expertise.

Regards

Edward

Personal logo vexillia Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Sep 2012 2:33 a.m. PST

Thanks for the info so far. The tactical numbering is harder than I thought. :-)

Which specific battalions and when? As per the link above there were 14 battalions of DLI in WW2, if you know which battalions of which brigades it is easy enough to figure out the tactical numbers based on their position in the formation hierarchy at that specific time period (as tactical numbering schemes changed).

To narrow it down I'm interested in numbers for the DLI in the 50th Div 1942-43 where I think they were the junior brigade.

--
Martin Stephenson
blog.vexillia.me.uk
amazon.co.uk/shops/vexillia
twitter.com/vexillia

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.