Help support TMP

"Converting plastic figures to SYW" Topic

41 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SYW Message Board

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Back to the Australian Wargaming Message Board

2,115 hits since 11 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

cae5ar11 Sep 2012 7:29 p.m. PST

Has anyone managed to convert existing plastic kits from other periods to use with SYW? For instance the French hussars from Perry with 1792 heads might pass for generic SYW hussars perhaps? Click image for more pictures of the Perry hussars at the link: link

bluewillow11 Sep 2012 7:42 p.m. PST

Dolman is too short on the perry figs

Personal logo andygamer Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2012 8:23 p.m. PST

I don't know how many "officers" shabraques Perry has that are the pointy ones but you'd need them for all of the troopers for a mid-century hussar unit too.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP11 Sep 2012 11:08 p.m. PST

yep generally a not very good option at all..

cae5ar12 Sep 2012 12:06 a.m. PST

Good feedback, thanks.

The shabraques are not a show-stopper – this is the kind of conversion I enjoy and with the right putty and patience, no problem.

Is the dolman too short on the Perry figures or is it the pelisse? The dolman being close to the body can also be converted (or creatively painted) and I can't honestly see that much difference with earlier uniforms, though I'm no expert in the period and humbly invite advice on this topic. However, if it is indeed the pelisse "overcoat", this would involve more work to change.

Has anyone explored infantry options in 25-28mm plastic for SYW? I hear the 1/72 Revell and Zvezda plastic Prussians are oversized but I don't know if they're big enough to mix with true 25mm. The Revell are soft plastic, which I'm not a fan of painting, though the Zvezda grenadiers are supposed to be a bit harder (not sure if this is up to the Perry and Victrix standard though).

daghan Inactive Member12 Sep 2012 1:55 a.m. PST

I use the Perry hussars for SYW. Their poses are livelier than the RSM hussars I've had for years. Short dolmans and shabraques don't bother me (as the song goes).

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 2:09 a.m. PST

both way too short, they bloody well worry me..

Paint Pig12 Sep 2012 2:24 a.m. PST

Shabraques would not be too hard to convert and good practice using greenstuff (makes for better organic surfaces) with the repetition factor etc.

As for the pelisse flapping in the wind, well it's flapping in the wind how on earth you can judge the length is beyond me huh?

That leaves the dolman, do you want to go the extra green stuff mile or accept what is there, maybe some of the sculpting wizzes can come up with a solution. I have seen some far bigger conversion jobs in WI re Arthurian Romans or what ever their called. As Drusty says the poses are very lively so if you put aside some of the negativity…..

It would certainly be a bragging project of some note if you pull it off.

regards
dave

bluewillow12 Sep 2012 2:39 a.m. PST

7YW French

picture

Napoleonic

picture

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 2:58 a.m. PST

there it is..
Willow a bit of picture "spamming " is worth 1,000 wafflings on.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 3:01 a.m. PST

With all this green stuff converting and the time that involves you could just buy some nice metals ones..Minden if you like pelisse flapping , Eureka Saxons( very versatile)if you don't..

Guy Barlow 5 Inactive Member12 Sep 2012 3:11 a.m. PST

Re infantry: if you are thinking about true 25mm figures, then the Zvesda Prussian grenadiers should work. They are about 26mm. It depends on the heft of the metal figures used. They do not work with 28mm figures and above. The Revell ones are about 22mm tall so I think they would be too small. I have seen them teamed up with ranges such as minifigs and they are just too 'slight' IMO. hat are bringing out a plastic SYW range so perhaps you could explore that option.

Paint Pig12 Sep 2012 4:29 a.m. PST

CH I don't see any "look at me" picture spamming going on, Willow provided a decent plate to demonstrate the differences between the uniforms. Good man that Willow. thumbs up

Why do you seem intent on talking down someone taking on a conversion, it would seem more constructive to offer conversion advice and let the modeller decide on their level of commitment and expectations of the finished piece. Nuff said!

Haven't seen those old Historex pictures for a while, still have two or three unmade ones floating around. grin

regards
dave

Marc the plastics fan12 Sep 2012 4:32 a.m. PST

Nope – looks close enough for me. But that is what it is – close enough. Purists need not apply, and metal offer those discerning collectors the appropriate figures. On the table my money would be most people will see mirlitons and go "ah ha – hussars".

YMMV

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 4:39 a.m. PST

whatever..actually the perry mirliton is pretty crappy..no cap lines for one thing

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 4:46 a.m. PST

Whatever. actually I am a keen converter but I wouldn't touch this hiaasr projext way to time consuming and a bit too hard I would think.
Actually the perry mirliton is pretty crappy..no cap lines for one thing , quite a lot of fiddly green stuffing about there..
I imagine there must be somebody who likes the fact that I actually have pictures of to post up.

picture

hussar on the left
picture

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 5:15 a.m. PST

I am planning on using the Perry Hussars for a SYW Imagination, but would not for any of the actual SYW combatants

trailape Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2012 5:57 p.m. PST

With all this green stuff converting and the time that involves you could just buy some nice metals ones..

Ummm,.. you could but I suspect some like the challange (maybe) of doing the conversion work.

cae5ar12 Sep 2012 7:19 p.m. PST

I suspect some like the challange (maybe) of doing the conversion work.
Quite right, this is what attracts me to plastics which are easier than metals to achieve good conversions (apart from the price of course).

Paint Pig12 Sep 2012 7:28 p.m. PST

Quite right, this is what attracts me to plastics which are easier than metals to achieve good conversions (apart from the price of course).

Good man! I'm sure you will have ups and downs so make sure we see how you get along, and any tips you pick up along the way!

regards
dave

BigAnth Inactive Member13 Sep 2012 7:49 a.m. PST

I did this one link

Paint Pig13 Sep 2012 8:59 a.m. PST

Please pm me an email address to contact you on cae5ar. Make sure it is web based.. yahoo, google or some such

cae5ar13 Sep 2012 9:45 p.m. PST

Please pm me an email address to contact you on cae5ar. Make sure it is web based.. yahoo, google or some such
cae5ar@y7mail.com

Paint Pig13 Sep 2012 11:32 p.m. PST

sent

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2012 11:56 p.m. PST

I like converting but not sure I like the idea of grinding off a dozen sheepskins and rebuilding the mess with greenstuff..strikes me as long and tiresome..

cae5ar19 Sep 2012 2:17 p.m. PST

Are Wargames Factory WSS infantry figures out of the question posing as French SYW, with a little work to their necks, hair and ankles?

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP20 Sep 2012 2:00 a.m. PST

I would say yes others no it is their legwear most at fault..there is nothing wrong with their necks and I don't quite know what you mean by their hair

cae5ar20 Sep 2012 3:57 p.m. PST

I would say yes others no it is their legwear most at fault..there is nothing wrong with their necks and I don't quite know what you mean by their hair
I was under the impression that the hair styles of the Wargames Factory were early century, i.e. no plaited pigtails etc. Perhaps this is not a big deal. So provided I can convert the leggings to convincing gaiters it might be an acceptable conversion?

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 3:52 a.m. PST

ah yes..no good at all

spontoon Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 1:28 p.m. PST

I've converted lead WSS figs to SYW, but it's a lot of work and only worth it for one or two figures. I don't imagine plastic ones will be that much less work. Best to wait for purpose made SYW to come.

freecloud19 Oct 2012 3:33 p.m. PST

"For instance the French hussars from Perry with 1792 heads might pass for generic SYW hussars perhaps?"

I've used them for my French Chasseurs du Fischer as they can have a Mirliton head, and also for both my Germanic hussar units as they also have a Busby head.

The pelisse is flying so you can't easily tell its length, the mirliton is a bit thin, the busby a bit thick, but nothing way off contemporary illustartions. The most glaring issue IMO is actually the saddlecloth, its a sheepskin and not pointed at the rear, but that is fine for Fischers and the lesser known German units I have. Small details like boot shape etc you can paint over

So yes, they are mildly inaccurate, but they are half the price and very lively figures so no I don't care :-0

trailape Supporting Member of TMP19 Oct 2012 9:09 p.m. PST

So yes, they are mildly inaccurate, but they are half the price and very lively figures so no I don't care :-0

My thoughts exactly.
;o)

spontoon Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2012 6:39 a.m. PST

Still the voluminous coats of the first half of the 18th. century would require a lot of green-stuff to be added to Napoleonics! If you must do such conversions, I think the WSS figs would be a little less work!

freecloud20 Oct 2012 9:30 a.m. PST

I think if you are going to use WSS figs for 7YW do French as they kept the long justaucorp for quite a while longer than the rest.

Personal logo Sparker Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2012 2:40 p.m. PST

Just to add to the mix, heres a radical thought – What will the conversion possiblities for SYW be when the Perrys bring out their Hard Plastic AWI Brits.

I am not a dyed in the wool rivet counter so the biggest challenge for me would be the trail arms pose – if that can somehow be converted into a semblance of march attack or high port I will be happy…

spontoon Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2012 7:00 p.m. PST

Might do for those of the Prussian ilk, but still not volumnous enough coats, cuff, etc., for anybody else!

trailape Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2012 11:19 p.m. PST

I'll be getting some of te Perry AWI plastics, (for the AWI) but they would work for an 'Imagi-Nation' not problem.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP23 Oct 2012 1:13 p.m. PST

well the AWI leg-gear won't work for SYW, and the packs all wrong and ..it goes ever on..

Paint Pig25 Oct 2012 4:05 a.m. PST

I suspect if you don't tell 'em that "they are all wrong" they will merrily go about their wargamey business as directed by the big hands from the sky anyway Cardinal. wink

The Perry plastic AWI look pretty good, I'll certainly be acquiring some as well Trailape. Might even start a little Imagi Nation with some to add an extra dimension/look to one of the Nations, their slightly off type uniform is just the thing for Imagineering and I have been hankering for units of horse and foot in a suitable helmet.

regards
dave

Marc the plastics fan25 Oct 2012 5:56 a.m. PST

Dave – I think that is my take on it. Maybe it is me rebelling against the "everything has to be perfect", or just hankering after simpler times when my Airfix Nap cavalry stood in for everything, but I for one (and it is just my personal view before anyone takes too big a pop at me) quite like it when people "stretch" figures away from their intended use.

"Charge" used Nap RHA with semi 7YW figures to great efefct, so anyone using a hussar figure is at least further along the scale surely.

And this is not a dig at you Mr Cardinal, as I appreciate what you are saying, and like what you are doing from teh pics I have seen, but just to say that sometimes it is nice when people are prepared to "make do" sometimes.

Peace :-)

Musketier Supporting Member of TMP25 Oct 2012 11:15 a.m. PST

Hear, hear!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.