Help support TMP

"Painting 15mm zeltbahns" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

781 hits since 30 Aug 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Captain Crunch Supporting Member of TMP30 Aug 2012 8:18 p.m. PST

I have a couple platoons worth of Peter Pig Germans in zeltbahns. The trousers, helmets and flesh have been painted but I have been thinking of how to approach the zeltbahns. Any suggestions of technique and colors (I use Vallejo) to use? Doesn't have to be anything fancy-- I'm happy as long as my painting looks good from 2 feet away. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Yesthatphil31 Aug 2012 3:54 a.m. PST

Just my take on this …

Zeltbahns had a block and splinter pattern of green and brown over grey/fawn according to various examples reconstructed in e.g. Lagarde's 'German Soldiers of WWII' (Histoire & Collections) a source I have found useful in interpreting Peter Pig figures (as I'm no expert) …

Camo is tricky in 15mm (especially complex camo) as really it blends in to landscape at this scale and if it shows up too clearly in photos it probably isn't working grin

I'm happy with how this works at table level: grey over dark grey (drybrushed light grey) with angular shapes painted over it in dark gey. I then repaint the angular shapes brown or green sometimes successfully leaving the grey edge showing, sometimes not. And if it looks right I leave it. Figures tend to get a final dry brush and occasional retouch, but if it looks right at any stage I leave it.

So basically green and brown angular patches over grey (leaving the dark grey showing in the folds and occasionally defining the patches of colour) haphazardly.

picture

picture

As I say, I'm not claiming it shows up well in photos as the effect I've intended is to give a camouflaged impression but as they say around TMP, 'it works for me' grin

The paints are mostly Vallejo over a Humbrol enamel undercoat but I tend to mix, say, greys etc. myself (so couldn't really quote particular colours) …

Phil
P.B.Eye-Candy

picture

Fat Wally31 Aug 2012 5:30 a.m. PST

I haven't got any pictures of mine, which are Peter Pig, but I can tell you what looks reasonable.

Paint the whole ZB Vallejo German Camo Beige.
Zig zag splodges of German Luftwaffe Camo Green
Add small irregular splodges of Flat Brown.

Job done.

CAG 1909 Oct 2012 3:34 a.m. PST

The use of the VJ Camo Beige gets my thumbs up. I have recently discovered its worth.

The ZB was reversible so you can take FW Brown and Green idea and reverse. The most common pattern would have been splinter (IMHO) so try and get an angular edge on your zigs, zags and splodges. Adding in the odd raiddrop stripe in green if your hand and brush let you go that far

Airborne Engineer11 Oct 2012 3:05 a.m. PST

This gives a good guide on the colors, but I don't like their pattern example. It looks too modern rather than splinter. PDF link

Here is the Battlefront way but I think the pattern is too big, and exagerates the pattern. This is also luftwaffe so the colors are slightly different.
link

This is the technique I adopted for painting splinter camo. You work in reverse painting the brown first and then the light color in zigzags on top. Followed by the green dots. You can even play to highlighting by running the light colored zigzags over highlighted areas and not into the shadows. Again this is luftwaffe so colors are off for Heer. PDF link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.